Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

1 hour ago, dtel said:

No not at all, it sticks to the road so well you have to make sure you don't corner faster than you should, this could become a bad habit. It's really low to the ground and with the wide tires really sticks to the road, now i have no idea what happens when it's wet roads ?

this guy told me that it gripped the road so much that you had to be careful coming OUT of a turn. he said this lady made a turn and couldn't straighten up and ran up the curb.

I've never driven one so was just curious.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, dtel said:

No not at all, it sticks to the road so well you have to make sure you don't corner faster than you should, this could become a bad habit. It's really low to the ground and with the wide tires really sticks to the road, now i have no idea what happens when it's wet roads ?

The car in my avatar was very low to the ground with wide tires and cornered like it was on rails, until the pavement was wet.  If not careful, the rear end would whip around in serious over-steer.

With only a single rear wheel, a tendency to over-steer would be real.

• Like 3

• Moderators
3 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

this guy told me that it gripped the road so much that you had to be careful coming OUT of a turn. he said this lady made a turn and couldn't straighten up and ran up the curb.

I've never driven one so was just curious.

Very possible, if it were not bucket seats you would slide out of the seat. 

10 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

The car in my avatar was very low to the ground with wide tires and cornered like it was on rails, until the pavement was wet.  If not careful, the rear end would whip around in serious over-steer.

With only a single rear wheel, a tendency to over-steer would be real.

Probably worse with that thing, only one wheel in the back could get bad around turns with a slippery road. The engine is in the front with 2 wheels, the back tire has much less weight on it and may get loose ?

• Like 2

On 7/18/2020 at 4:33 PM, dtel said:

I was thinking about that a little while ago when I went for a ride with out oldest daughter. Her husband and her ride motorcycles. She got rid of her bike and got this, it's slightly better than 2 wheels. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That is a very cool-looking machine.  It sounds like wearing shoulder straps to help you stay in your seat would be a good idea.  If it’s anything like a shifter kart, the cornering forces it can generate could be extreme.  Does sitting that low make it seem like you’re going faster than you are?

I’ve ridden in and driven sidecars a couple of times, and would not want to make it a habit.  In one case, the guy driving seemed to forget that the outfit was wider than a bike, so when pulling out to pass, I was getting way too close to the rear bumper of the car we were passing, and it seemed to be at the height of my face.  Scary stuff.

With a 3-wheeler like the one pictured, it can probably be driven much like a 4-wheeled car.  Not so with motorcycle sidecar outfits.  You have to be constantly aware of what the sidecar will do to the dynamics of the outfit.  For example, when accelerating, the chair wants to lag behind, causing the outfit to want to turn right (if the sidecar is on the right), so you have to turn the bars a bit to the left whenever you accelerate.  Also, you enter right turns slowly, and then accelerate.  In this case, the chair helps you turn.

When decelerating, the chair wants to pass you, pushing you toward the left, so you always have to be ready with a bit of right turn on the bars, and maybe an application of the sidecar brake, or the rear brake of the motorcycle, if its brake is linked to the sidecar brake.  The presence of the chair can help in left turns, since as you roll off  the throttle, the outfit wants to turn left by itself.  You enter left turns quickly, and then slow down.  The only time you can sort of relax is on a level road, running at constant speed.  Any other situation forces your mind and body to get too busy for it to be fun, for me at least.

• Like 4

like I said, they sound like they might be fun for a minute.

I started collecting stuff to build one I saw in PopularMechanics a looooooooong time ago. Based on a 750 Honda and a VW front end.It was mid-engine. Sat in front of the motor. Had the bike...Then I moved to HI....

Was looking in on the Started Here, Ended There thread and started to ramble off. One random association to another and now I am missing my old ARP AXXE synthesizer. Analog. It was cool. Took some learning to get to where you could make the sound when you wanted it. Only played one note at a time...no chords. Played it through a Kustom amp. Don't know how many watts... enough. It had 4] 10in in it and white tuck and roll upholstery. Thing would scream. I've been pissing off my neighbors for a long time.  That synth would make some awful noises

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, grasshopper said:

like I said, they sound like they might be fun for a minute.

It was fun, but after a 5 mile ride, the wind noise was aggravating, and the wind burn could be pretty bad. A 20 Minuit test drive might turn some off, they do have taller windscreens, this may help ?  Earplugs would help, overall there pretty noisy.

A few on a track with all around bumpers designed with springs for bumping would be great fun. It should also come with a 5 way safety belt instead of regular over the shoulder seat belts, so if you roll over.

• Like 3

I'll take one. Does it come with a salad of mj?

Good Mornin' All

Still waiting for rain. Made the coffee a bit stronger this AM.  I'll hear about it from the wife.

Was sleeping good and then... cramp in my leg stood me straight up.That was at 3.  Everyone is home today. We have the kid, too.I could go to the lake for a couple hour and be back before they wake.  They still haven't figured out what "burnin' daylight" means.... And down here, the "burnin" part is more than a figure of speech.

no plans for the day... I can't make plans. Things are too "fluid" around this house. The folks that own the "ranch" boy works, leased another dude ranch in Tumacacori... and boy may be working it for a while at least.  He's not too crazy about an hour drive [each way].  Told wife, he doesn't have to say he won't go... just that he would prefer to stay at the place in Sasabe. I still think he's gonna be there until they get it staffed.

IF it the place I am thinking it is... My dad always told me, "If I had the money, I would buy it".. 

https://ranchosantacruz.us/

Elden,

I was looking at that "bike" and thinking a 5 point harness might be a good idea.

That wind buffeting is a factor in comfort. I drove the boy's MustangGT from here to FayettevilleNC. You could not run with a window down. The buffeting was crazy. Couldn't hear anything but the wind popping.

Wonder if they have they fixed that "Textured Pavement" on I-20? I don't think the 3in change from one slab of concrete to the next was part of the "texture".   I saw all the semis running in the left lane, for no apparent reason until... It was like hitting parking blocks.

• Like 2

Red bandannas are illegal in AZ.  One of those old laws that never got taken off the books.

c/p

Any misdemeanor charge is automatically considered a felony when committed wearing a red mask. Make sure to leave camel-hunting out of your summer plans this year. It's still illegal in the state of Arizona.Jun 23, 2015

have a chuckle

here's the site

https://maricopabar.org/index.cfm?pg=Blog&blAction=showEntry&blogEntry=4992

• Haha 2