Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

39 minutes ago, dtel said:

Anyone in east Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas need some rain?

Yep, looks like we will get some rain; just how much varies depending on the projected path. As long as the storm doesn't move farther West our biggest potential problems are high winds, power outages, and their duration.

1 hour ago, Shiva said:

Anyone here have mouse problems?  Mousetrap Monday's might be a good youtube channel to peruse, if so.

Been doing a variation of this trap for years. Couple inches of water in the bottom = bucket full of food for scavenngers by morning + a lot less varmints around the homestead.

Where I live the hardest part is keeping the bait(peanut butter) from melting, so most effective when it cools down a bit.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Buck115 said:

Yep, looks like we will get some rain; just how much varies depending on the projected path. As long as the storm doesn't move farther West our biggest potential problems are high winds, power outages, and their duration.

Good luck Buck!

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, babadono said:

Been doing a variation of this trap for years. Couple inches of water in the bottom = bucket full of food for scavenngers by morning + a lot less varmints around the homestead.

Where I live the hardest part is keeping the bait(peanut butter) from melting, so most effective when it cools down a bit.

Do they drown?  The posted video leaves out how he kills them.  I have a rat sized hav-a-heart trap but my wife wouldn't let me kill them so I would have to drive over 5 miles to relocate.  I thought hooking up the car exhaust was a better idea...

35 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Do they drown?  The posted video leaves out how he kills them.  I have a rat sized hav-a-heart trap but my wife wouldn't let me kill them so I would have to drive over 5 miles to relocate.  I thought hooking up the car exhaust was a better idea...

My dad used to tell my mom that he "baptized" them. Squirrels were his area of expertise. 

• Haha 3

Never really measured it maybe 5 or 6" up in a 5 gallon bucket, of course they drown. This is field mice I'm talking about..still don't want 'em in garage or attic, they tear sheet up and make a mess. If a cat could survive the coyotes here, I'd have a cat.

5 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

get a couple  Jack Russel Terriers  ---better than cats

Funny you should mention them, been thinking the same, but ----- need property fenced before becoming a dog owner at this house. Not chasing my dogs all over you know where. I want to train them to hunt gophers as well. Or I should say even more so.

6 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Had a few of the bastards in the garage every now and then. Good old fashioned mouse trap seems to keep them honest. Not the wimpy ones with balsa wood base, the plastic ones that after you trigger the kill bar keep your digits away. They pack a punch. I favor peanut butter as the lure, creamy or chunky don’t matter. They are dead at that point.

I like the car exhaust technique too, used this on a nest of raccoons I couldn’t reach in a window well under an overhang. Five three Chevy V8 did the trick. And a couple of ammonia soaked rags down the hatch didn’t hurt — nary a peep after that. 

• Haha 1

Just now, babadono said:

Funny you should mention them, been thinking the same, but ----- need property fenced before becoming a dog owner at this house. Not chasing my dogs all over you know where. I want to train them to hunt gophers as well. Or I should say even more so.

To hell with dogs for gopher hunting. Call Bill Murray —

• Haha 2