Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

3 minutes ago, babadono said:

Funny you should mention them, been thinking the same, but ----- need property fenced before becoming a dog owner at this house. Not chasing my dogs all over you know where. I want to train them to hunt gophers as well. Or I should say even more so.

a good dog can be trained to have boundaries , but a fence is a must ,  they will chase after anything that moves -

7 minutes ago, dtel said:

I've seen plenty of those but none with 2500 hp. They are wild already couldn't imagine that much HP.

I always wanted to try an air boat ,or even rent one  my guess is that you gotta be very good to handle one as it is so agile  ,  and novices beware for wrecks

• Like 2

• Moderators

It would be fun, I doubt they rent them if so they are crazy. When sliding sideways they can stick and flip sideways, I guess that's why the better ones have much more rounded sides on the bottom edge. They use to use flat bottom boats, it works but I would think much more dangerous turning sharply. The are amazing, I have seen some with a sheet of 3/8" teflon on the whole bottom, they can go on blacktop or cement roads, wet grass is as good as water.

love to have one but would probably kill myself.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, dtel said:

Those are some expensive engines. This one a relative is building for a airplane. I have no idea of the make.

it's a Lycoming  IO 540 C4050D --The I  stands for fuel injected  / normally aspirated   - 541.5 cubic inches -

---looks like a Brand new engine  -75k$  with a core value of 22k$  deducted -   

Lycoming Aircraft Engines IO 540 C4D5D Series Parts Manual - Downlo...

• Like 1

• Moderators

I knew they were not cheap, he bought the core in California and flew out to pick it up with a friend, they also bought a used plane and the friend flew it back. That is going to be the engine for the new/used plane. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

His toy shed.

He called one day and said you want to go flying ? We said sure and he told us when to be at his house about 4 miles from our house, we were thinking we would drive across town to the airport. 

We had no idea he added a metal hanger and a made a airstrip in his yard, we took off from right there, very handy. That is one cool hobby, he is an instructor and offered to teach me, all it would cost would be airtime and whatever else needed along the way. I would love to, but even with him offering it is still not cheap, and neither are airplanes or there maintenance.

troy flying-255.JPG

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, dtel said:

His toy shed.

He called one day and said you want to go flying ? We said sure and he told us when to be at his house about 4 miles from our house, we were thinking we would drive across town to the airport. 

he is an instructor and offered to teach me, all it would cost would be — My Life.

troy flying-255.JPG

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, richieb said:

Excuse me playing editor- ^^^^^

Good point, and probably true. 

We love snorkeling and were going to take classes to scuba. The more I thought about it the more i did not want to, it would not be the same. Now we sit on the beach have a few drinks snorkel, more beach time with drinks and snorkel, and repeat. This would not be a good combination for scuba, you have to pay attention and not be loaded, so we never went through with it. 

• Like 2