Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators

There is a glider hanging from the ceiling and  you might be thinking of the one on the left in that pic, right in this one, white with a small blue stripe, it's not an ultra lite. I asked about it they called it a "experimental" and they both refuse to fly it and want to get rid of it, they say it scares them, something breaks every time it's taken out, that was all they needed to say.

I went up in the stunt plane, the orange one on the right, Christy went in the Cessna on the left, we both flew around a little while then landed at the airport across town, I asked why, they said to get coffee. :o:emotion-21: When we took off and flew around again they could hear on the radio that about 30 minutes North they were people skydiving and asked if we wanted to fly up and go watch. Well yea, so we landed in his yard and 4 of us flew to watch the skydive. 

I asked what was the difference in the stunt plane and was told mostly just a second stronger frame and a much bigger motor, I had no idea. Positive G's are nice but negative G's are just cool. 

troy flying-005.JPG

troy flying-207.JPG

troy flying-222.JPG

• Like 4

• Moderators
5 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

the hangar door  is on swivel  hinges , with  2 panels only   , fantastic

I guess they use them like that to not have them in the way ? Forgot about that. 

One thing that's cool is they have this little thing that about the size of a sidewalk edger that connects to the front wheels and pulls the plane around to get it out of the hanger.

• Like 2

WOW....very nice setup, I've always thought it would be so cool to have your own landing strip, leave any time.

My Dad was a pilot, owned a Piper Cherokee(4 seater). We actually lived right across from the airport. On nice days, we would be flying...after he got home from work, us from school, baseball etc. In the early 80s, the cost started rising, and he sold half to a good friend, until that guy developed diabetes, and had to quit flying. My Dad owned it for about 20 years. I never flew on a jet until I was about 40 years old, but flew with him probably 10k times. Great memories. This is the only pic I have. My Dad would let his older brother use his plane, he had a license also, from WWll...pic was from the early 70s.

ACTUAL.jpg

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

My Dad was a pilot, owned a Piper Cherokee(4 seater).

it's a very pleasant plane to fly ,  the full panoramic  view out of the wings ,  and no top wings  or side posts   make it feel like a faster , better handling plane --

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

My Dad was a pilot, owned a Piper Cherokee(4 seater).

That reminded me of the tv series Sky King, but the planes he flew were Cessnas... first a T-50 Bobcat, then a 310B for the remainder of the series. I loved that show when growing up.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Marvel said:

That reminded me of the tv series Sky King, but the planes he flew were Cessnas... first a T-50 Bobcat, then a 310B for the remainder of the series. I loved that show when growing up.

"Out of The Western Sky comes... Sky King!" What a great memory, Thanks Marvel.

Man that was a looong time ago. It had to have been. I was a kid then. I actually surprised myself by remembering that lead-in.

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

This is the only pic I have.

Very cool story, sounds like your dad had it going on. Must have been nice for the kids to get to experience that. 

My dad thought about getting a license but never did but we were raised around planes and helicopters. My dad and my uncle had a business working on planes and helicopters, maintenance, repairs and the regular inspections. When I was young it was my first job working for them, mostly doing maintenance, mostly on the stuff they trusted me to do, most thing's I was not allowed to even touch, they were smart. :lol: 

I grew up helping and playing at the airport, the New Orleans airport right on the lake, not the big airport, this was mostly small planes and a few mid size jets and a VERY low traffic airport back then. They would let me ride my go cart on the field it was so slow, kind of like the hope airport is now. We worked on the museum right on the side of the airport in Hope for a week and see maby one plane take off or land. Someone was flying a RC airplane from the runway that week, it's slow.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dtel said:

Very cool story, sounds like your dad had it going on. Must have been nice for the kids to get to experience that. 

My dad thought about getting a license but never did but we were raised around planes and helicopters. My dad and my uncle had a business working on planes and helicopters, maintenance, repairs and the regular inspections. When I was young it was my first job working for them, mostly doing maintenance, mostly on the stuff they trusted me to do, most thing's I was not allowed to even touch, they were smart. :lol: 

I grew up helping and playing at the airport, the New Orleans airport right on the lake, not the big airport, this was mostly small planes and a few mid size jets and a VERY low traffic airport back then. They would let me ride my go cart on the field it was so slow, kind of like the hope airport is now. We worked on the museum right on the side of the airport in Hope for a week and see maby one plane take off or land. Someone was flying a RC airplane from the runway that week, it's slow.

Actually working around the airport and the planes would be an awesome experience growing up, and riding a kart around there... you had your own racetrack! My Dad never spoiled us, he worked hard (mason) but I never remembered going hungry. We never had the really nice stuff like some kids, I had 4 older brothers....lots of hand-me-downs. Plus with 6 sons, he had his own labor force. He never made us work for him, but you wanted to, I always felt like I let him down if I didn't help at work. Hard work, taught me a lot (everything) but he paid well. Maybe there was more opportunity back then, work hard and you did ok. He was a great guy, Dad, friend, treated people as good as he could his whole life. He was born in a log cabin in Bloomington Indiana in 1929. When he died in December of 2018, a funeral employee made the comment about how many people showed up to pay their respect at his showing, he said he stopped counting people at 750. Sorry....I can talk all day about my parents.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, KlipschFish said:

"Out of The Western Sky comes... Sky King!" What a great memory, Thanks Marvel.

Man that was a looong time ago. It had to have been. I was a kid then. I actually surprised myself by remembering that lead-in.

Originally 1951-52. It had to have been a little later when I first watched, as we didn't have a TV yet, and I was born in '49. Probably watched it in mid '50s.

• Like 1

I too enjoyed Sky King, despite the implausibility of the self-financed flying vigilante concept.  I marveled (or should I say Bruced @Marvel ) at Penny's bombardier skills.  It's not everyone who can drop a brick from altitude at greater than 100mph to knock a gun from a bad guy's hand.

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

I too enjoyed Sky King, despite the implausibility of the self-financed flying vigilante concept.  I marveled (or should I say Bruced @Marvel ) at Penny's bombardier skills.  It's not everyone who can drop a brick from altitude at greater than 100mph to knock a gun from a bad guy's hand.

image.jpeg

Now you tell me? Television scripts aren’t real life in a lighted box? Well, there goes 60 years of believing— 

We got our first TV, RCA, in 1952; I was four.  In Cincinnati, I grew up with Uncle Al, String Bean, and Ruth Lyons.  We got our first color TV, Heathkit, in 1962.  We got a second Heathkit color TV in 1966, when we moved and had to leave the built-in behind.

My father allowed me to solder some of the resistors in Heathkit #1, he allowed me to do much more with Heathkit #2.  I can not deny my DIY genes inherited from my father and his father.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richieb said:

Now you tell me? Television scripts aren’t real life in a lighted box? Well, there goes 60 years of believing— 

As a child, I was a guest on The Uncle Al Show show in Cincinnati.  Imagine my disappointment to learn that Uncle Al did not fly to the studio and run in to greet the kiddies, as shown on TV.  Instead, he smoked a cigarette off camera before strolling onto the set.

Even more bubble bursting was to learn that the Barq’s root beer passed out prior to the cartoon, was immediately scooped up as soon as the cartoon started, which we had to watch on a small crappy monitor.  I had expected Felix to be there in person.  TV was never the same after that.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

We got our first TV, RCA, in 1952; I was four.  In Cincinnati, I grew up with Uncle Al, String Bean, and Ruth Lyons.  We got our first color TV, Heathkit, in 1962. 

I don't remember the year our family got our first color tv. But I do remember watching 'The Wizard Of Oz' many, many times before I realized there was color in the Oz scenes!