Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

he worked hard (mason)

Well that explains how you got into it.

Sounds like your dad was a good guy, nothing wrong with hard work, but do it like your dad and you did. Do a good job and what you say your going to do for a fair price and you will have work. Most people have no problem paying for quality and a job done as expected. 

It was fun growing up around all the airplanes, they had a shop outside the airport but also a small one in the airport. Alot of the maintenance was on all the local government helicopters, this was mostly on the type that was like a Plexiglas or acrylic (whatever it was) bubble over the whole front. Plus repairing alot of light wings from small planes and general maintenance. All of them had a schedule of maintenance that had to be done every so many hours, I would guess that gets pretty expensive for an owner.

They had all the tools to bend sheets of aluminum to rebuild wings when they would get damaged. They also had a room with a bunch of tanks, they would re nickle and re chrome parts like handles and knobs and switches, I was not allowed to do any of that.  I really wish the timeline would have been different, I was really just to young to take advantage of all of it. I did get the painter for the airport to paint a couple of cars I had, he was good, if you can make a plane look good a car was nothing.

• Like 4

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, KlipschFish said:

I don't remember the year our family got our first color tv.

Yes we watched B&W TV for a long time, the TV was a small odd shaped tube in a good sized cabinet. You had a choice of 3 channels and PBS, and at midnight the test pattern would come on with the Indian. 

I remember listening to boxing on the radio with my dad when I was little.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, dtel said:

Yes we watched B&W TV for a long time, the TV was a small odd shaped tube in a good sized cabinet. You had a choice of 3 channels and PBS, and at midnight the test pattern would come on with the Indian. 

I remember listening to boxing on the radio with my dad when I was little.

Me too with my dad. Then Jimmy Lennon and the 'Friday Night Fights' on the tube.

• Like 2

Since we didn't have a TV in the early 50s, I looked at a lot of test screens accross the street from our house waiting for programming to come on.  I do remember our first color TV. My dad got it for Christmas, said he'd rented it for the holidays, then told us Christmas morning that it was ours. 

SSH

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Yes we watched B&W TV for a long time, the TV was a small odd shaped tube in a good sized cabinet.

TV'S were  the most expensive equipment in the house , made ,with  TUBES --------8 pounds of lead -cadmium -barium  --all toxic   ,to solder the boards ,  they would bathe the main boards in liquid lead to solder in 1 step -the cabinets were a work of art with real mahogany  and furniture grade finishes and veneers

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

TV'S were  the most expensive equipment in the house , made ,with  TUBES --------8 pounds of lead -cadmium -barium  --all toxic   ,to solder the boards ,  they would bathe the main boards in liquid lead to solder in 1 step -the cabinets were a work of art with real mahogany  and furniture grade finishes and veneers

Not even counting the high voltage, and people would remove tubes and bring them to the drugstore to test them, then replace themselves. But this was back before we needed a warning on the stove that said HOT.

I remember the brand Magnavox, there advertisement was the electronics were all built on a drawer that you could slide out a little to get to the tubes easier to replace them. The advertisement was "Magnavox the works are in the drawers".

I remember this for a silly reason, I told my friend it's the same reason I'm with my girlfriend. :blush2: I know it's not right, but funny

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Talkin bout floatie boy?

Slushie boy

Floatie boy

Id comment to you and Richie but have been taught to respect my elders.  Well, in your cases respect is a lityle too strong a word.  I should have said tolerate. 

41 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Talkin bout floatie boy?

22 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Slushie boy

Floatie boy

Id comment to you and Richie but have been taught to respect my elders.  Well, in your cases respect is a lityle too strong a word.  I should have said tolerate. 

How’d you like a “friendly” visit from two “middle aged” men - 

• Haha 3

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, richieb said:

How’d you like a “friendly” visit from two “middle aged” men - 

If you could switch that to two middle age women I'm in.

I was picturing Carl floating with the floaties while shaking a martini and this would power him along, it just looked odd.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, dtel said:

Well that explains how you got into it.

Sounds like your dad was a good guy, nothing wrong with hard work, but do it like your dad and you did. Do a good job and what you say your going to do for a fair price and you will have work. Most people have no problem paying for quality and a job done as expected. 

It was fun growing up around all the airplanes, they had a shop outside the airport but also a small one in the airport. Alot of the maintenance was on all the local government helicopters, this was mostly on the type that was like a Plexiglas or acrylic (whatever it was) bubble over the whole front. Plus repairing alot of light wings from small planes and general maintenance. All of them had a schedule of maintenance that had to be done every so many hours, I would guess that gets pretty expensive for an owner.

They had all the tools to bend sheets of aluminum to rebuild wings when they would get damaged. They also had a room with a bunch of tanks, they would re nickle and re chrome parts like handles and knobs and switches, I was not allowed to do any of that.  I really wish the timeline would have been different, I was really just to young to take advantage of all of it. I did get the painter for the airport to paint a couple of cars I had, he was good, if you can make a plane look good a car was nothing.

Sounds like a pretty busy place, I'll bet you learned a lot being around all that. I don't remember much of the inner workings at the airport, I'm sure it went on. It was a tiny place, the runway was gravel back then, they paved it when I was about 15, late 70s. There was only 5-6 planes tied down there, maybe 2 there today. That pic I showed was form 1968, earlier than I thought.

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Sounds like a pretty busy place, I'll bet you learned a lot being around all that. I don't remember much of the inner workings at the airport, I'm sure it went on. It was a tiny place, the runway was gravel back then, they paved it when I was about 15, late 70s. There was only 5-6 planes tied down there, maybe 2 there today. That pic I showed was form 1968, earlier than I thought.

It was a pretty good size airport, I would guess at one time the main airport fo NO. But they built a international airport on the other side of town, this is what turned the old airport into mostly small private jets and mostly small planes. It was a good size  but it was rare to see anything take off, probably more on weekends with hobby pilots? There were many planes but not much at all going on.

One side of the airport was a big area that all the fancy planes and jets were parked, it was called Millionaire,which now seems funny when I think of it, it's true.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

I'll stock up on Depends.

59 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

15 hours to come up with that retort.  You're slipping floatie boy.  oldtimer's even faster than that.

9 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Been off line.  Only took a second.  I don't need my A game to spar with the geriatric crowd anyway.

Haha.....funny stuff, classic!

At what age is geriatric?

• Haha 1