Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
1 hour ago, RandyH000 said:

when you  listen to rap all day long ----how can you differentiate  noise from music

Rap is not music, no musicians, unless you count pressing a button or pushing an album, and noise is noise. 

And get off the grass. (the lawn anyway)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/28/2020 at 7:33 PM, Marvel said:

That reminded me of the tv series Sky King, but the planes he flew were Cessnas... first a T-50 Bobcat, then a 310B for the remainder of the series. I loved that show when growing up.

Growing up in a rural part of Quebec, we didn’t get Sky King, but we did get The Flying Doctor, an Australian series (1959-1961) about a San Francisco doctor who moved to Australia.  It was based on an actual government health care program.  The vast rural areas of Australia didn’t have enough doctors, but there were small hospitals in various remote settlements, with a few nurses on staff.  When needed, they would radio for the flying doctor, who was part of the government Flying Doctor service.  It was a popular show.

Thinking back, I thought he flew a twin-engined aircraft, but the link I just pulled up showed an actual flying doctor unloading medical supplies from the side door of the rear storage area of what looks like a 4-6 seater Cessna.

I couldn't find a clip from the TV show, but here's a short clip from a documentary about the Flying Doctor program:

• Like 4

On 8/29/2020 at 10:35 AM, DizRotus said:

I too enjoyed Sky King, despite the implausibility of the self-financed flying vigilante concept.  I marveled at Penny's bombardier skills.  It's not everyone who can drop a brick from altitude at greater than 100mph to knock a gun from a bad guy's hand.

Yep, I enjoyed Sky King also. Interestingly, I have a little experience with bombing things by hand-dropping objects out of an airplane. I flew as part of the backend crew of the Navy’s E-2B Hawkeye, which was a carrier based AEW/Strike Control aircraft. Before our deployments aboard the USS Midway (CVA-41), our Airwing would go through workups at Fallon, NV and then to carrier quals and then deploy for our scheduled cruise. Fallon was where the F4’s, A6’s, and A7’s would practice bombing with us in the E-2B controlling their bombing runs.

On the last day of workups, there would be a bombing contest and we, in the unarmed E-2B, would participate and were given practice bombs that could be held by hand. We would open the aft hatch, that was an escape hatch if you had to ditch the aircraft, and one brave soul would stand on the back radar operator’s seat and lean out the hatch with the bomb in hand while the other two backend crewmembers held on to his legs for dear life!!!!!! When the pilot and copilot thought that given our aircraft’s speed and altitude and position relative to the target, that we were in position to release the bomb, the pilot would announce “bombs away” over the aircraft’s intercom and the crewmember would toss the bomb away from the E-2 to make sure it didn’t come back and hit us.

We weren’t as accurate as Penny, but believe it or not, we usually won the contest and kept the trophy (an inscribed practice bomb) in our Ready Room aboard the carrier during the cruise.

• Like 4

• Moderators

Well tomorrow is Sept 1 which means fall/winter is coming, soon for some a couple months for us.

So this is what the old Farmers Almanic is saying. Have no idea how it will be, since the normal weather people can not predict 3 days from now.

US-Farmers-Almanac-Winter-Outlook-2020-2021-1-1536x1024.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave1290 said:

Amazing run.  MeTV every nite @ 7.  Rarely miss that and Hogan's Hero's!  Stupid can be funny.  I'll wait for the comments...   

I had an uncle who was shot down in WWII.  He was an officer, and became a POW of the Germans.  He told me they treated officers better, but also that the look and layout of the camp in Hogan's Heroes was pretty close to exactly how it was.  Of course the Germans were not stupid like in the show.  But stupid isn't always funny when the joke is on us.  "The mob takes the fifth."  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Well tomorrow is Sept 1 which means fall/winter is coming, soon for some a couple months for us.

So this is what the old Farmers Almanic is saying. Have no idea how it will be, since the normal weather people can not predict 3 days from now.

Mild to tranquil not quite.  Try brutally hot and humid.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, richieb said:

“there you go again”. Forecast is for cold, very cold and cut to the chase winds. Thank you Al Roker —

Coffee for my breakfast
Shot of whiskey on the side
It's a dark and dreary morning
With the clouds covering up the sky

The forecast calls for pain
The forecast calls for pain
My baby's turning cold
And the forecast calls for pain

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dtel said:

nothing new for the North East

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Tarheel said:

I guess NC & SC aren't going to have weather😐

Could be worse you could be cold and very flaky, I would have thought California and up the coast would have been included in that. :huh: 

Were stuck between taxes and Alabama/Georgia weather, that's about right. 

• Like 1