Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

42 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Looks like Delta hit land.  Heading straight for Lake Charles. Those people can't catch a break.  I really feel for them.

One of my favorite Lucinda Williams songs.  Good luck to the good folks in Lake Charles tonight.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, dtel said:

I went there a long time ago, very cool city, this was way before the crime and homeless people problems.

it reminds me of the 70's in NYC , the Bronx ---crime set in , and everybody left  -----

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Seadog said:

Hope you get power back soon, but it must be a good feeling when your generator kicks in.

10 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

hang in there Carl , hope all goes well -

Thanks all.  Just a bump in the road.   88000 out of power in our immediate area now.  I can only imagine how many are out in Louisiana. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

15 hours ago, dtel said:

I went there a long time ago, very cool city, this was way before the crime and homeless people problems.

It's terrible for such a nice city to fall apart like that, mismanagement has ruined a great city, no one even wants to visit anymore, such a waste.  

That long time ago was when there were mental hospitals in every city.  Those who couldn’t cope with life in the community, through no fault of their own, could be treated or at least taken care of.  When was the last time you saw a fully operational mental hospital?  Nearly all of them have been shut down.

Why?  Has there somehow been a huge reduction in the number of mentally ill people in society?  Of course not.  Just as some people are born or become physically handicapped, there will always be a certain percentage of society who are born or become mentally handicapped.  What was the change around forty years ago that caused the mental hospitals to be scaled down or closed?  New therapeutic drugs, that’s what.

When those new anti-psychotic drugs became available, they transformed the lives of many sick people.  The problem, not fully realized at the time, was that they were not a cure.  They needed to be taken under medical supervision.  Just giving a mentally ill person a prescription and wishing them good luck was not the solution.  Mentally ill people were discharged from hospitals in large numbers and left to fend for themselves in the community.  Being mentally ill and all, quite a few of them could not organize themselves to find homes, pay rent, maybe find a job they could do.  They would forget to take their meds on schedule, or find they made them feel too dopey.  The ones that found jobs would get fired, and soon evicted, while the ones that couldn’t work at all couldn’t get much else done properly, either, and they’d get evicted, too, or ripped off by unscrupulous landlords.

Within a few years, many of these mental patients were homeless and begging for food.  No matter, now the governments could save so much money by closing all those hospitals that the fates of the former patients were overlooked.  Inevitably, drug dealers found new customers among people who could be easily convinced to try something, anything, that would make their miserable days feel better for at least a few hours.  Soon, they had drug problems to go along with their mental problems.  And not being able to take proper care of themselves physically, they would be showing up in Emergency rooms in bad shape.

And now here we are in the 21st century, with everyone grumbling about the “homeless” problem.  It’s long past time the governments across the developed nations realized that it’s time to re-open or build new mental hospitals, because even when they die young on the streets, there are still many mentally ill people among us.   Every new generation has some children who aren’t as able as the rest, and will need care that may be beyond the abilities of even the most saintly parents.

These unfortunates are no less part of our society than we are.  They don’t deserve to have to sleep on the streets and beg for food.  I tell this to every politician who asks me what our city, or our province, or what our country needs.  Hopefully, enough people will point this out that action will finally be taken, that governments will admit that they need to spend the money to provide hospitals for the mentally ill as well as for the physically ill.

Rant mode off.

• Like 7

Good post Islander and something I have seen first hand.  I was a case manager at the local MHC for three years and saw the results of deinstitutionalization.  The edict of "less restrictive environment" flooded the street with those with no idea how to manage on the "outside".  A handful of psychotropic drugs and more meds to control the side effects and an appointment with a therapist once a month does not cut it for those use to 24/7 supervision.  Then you have the age old problem of folks taking their meds until they start feeling better and think they no longer need them. 

To add insult to injury the MHC ran into financial woes and closed it's doors.  Private agencies sprung up but never proved to make a dent in the number of those needing treatment. 

Yep I could go on too but that's the Cliff Notes version and enough for now. 

Now for a second cup.........

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Islander said:

That long time ago was when there were mental hospitals in every city.  Those who couldn’t cope with life in the community, through no fault of their own, could be treated or at least taken care of.  When was the last time you saw a fully operational mental hospital?  Nearly all of them have been shut down.

Why?  Has there somehow been a huge reduction in the number of mentally ill people in society?  Of course not.  Just as some people are born or become physically handicapped, there will always be a certain percentage of society who are born or become mentally handicapped.  What was the change around forty years ago that caused the mental hospitals to be scaled down or closed?  New therapeutic drugs, that’s what.

When those new anti-psychotic drugs became available, they transformed the lives of many sick people.  The problem, not fully realized at the time, was that they were not a cure.  They needed to be taken under medical supervision.  Just giving a mentally ill person a prescription and wishing them good luck was not the solution.  Mentally ill people were discharged from hospitals in large numbers and left to fend for themselves in the community.  Being mentally ill and all, quite a few of them could not organize themselves to find homes, pay rent, maybe find a job they could do.  They would forget to take their meds on schedule, or find they made them feel too dopey.  The ones that found jobs would get fired, and soon evicted, while the ones that couldn’t work at all couldn’t get much else done properly, either, and they’d get evicted, too, or ripped off by unscrupulous landlords.

Within a few years, many of these mental patients were homeless and begging for food.  No matter, now the governments could save so much money by closing all those hospitals that the fates of the former patients were overlooked.  Inevitably, drug dealers found new customers among people who could be easily convinced to try something, anything, that would make their miserable days feel better for at least a few hours.  Soon, they had drug problems to go along with their mental problems.  And not being able to take proper care of themselves physically, they would be showing up in Emergency rooms in bad shape.

And now here we are in the 21st century, with everyone grumbling about the “homeless” problem.  It’s long past time the governments across the developed nations realized that it’s time to re-open or build new mental hospitals, because even when they die young on the streets, there are still many mentally ill people among us.   Every new generation has some children who aren’t as able as the rest, and will need care that may be beyond the abilities of even the most saintly parents.

These unfortunates are no less part of our society than we are.  They don’t deserve to have to sleep on the streets and beg for food.  I tell this to every politician who asks me what our city, or our province, or what our country needs.  Hopefully, enough people will point this out that action will finally be taken, that governments will admit that they need to spend the money to provide hospitals for the mentally ill as well as for the physically ill.

Rant mode off.

3 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Good post Islander and something I have seen first hand.  I was a case manager at the local MHC for three years and saw the results of deinstitutionalization.  The edict of "less restrictive environment" flooded the street with those with no idea how to manage on the "outside".  A handful of psychotropic drugs and more meds to control the side effects and an appointment with a therapist once a month does not cut it for those use to 24/7 supervision.  Then you have the age old problem of folks taking their meds until they start feeling better and think they no longer need them. 

To add insult to injury the MHC ran into financial woes and closed it's doors.  Private agencies sprung up but never proved to make a dent in the number of those needing treatment. 

Yep I could go on too but that's the Cliff Notes version and enough for now. 

Now for a second cup.........

there are other problems associated

with the system...

This person killed a animal...

he was sent to a local hospital..

And released soon afterwards...

and this was the result...

https://www.uticaod.com/article/20150107/NEWS/150109669

• Like 4

Mornin' All

Another sunny and warm... added some wind to the mix.

I'm steering clear of that last discussion. Otherwise it will turn into a longwinded rant.

Everyone in the storm area accounted for?

bunch of folks w/o electricity.

Need to go to the dump and hit the farmers' market... That's the plan for the day.

was wondering why my back was sore last night... until I remembered I stood and peeled/pared 3 or 4 lbs of apples. Made applesauce. Told wife it might need some sugar... used Red Decicious, and sometimes, all they are is crisp - not even sweet. Not a fan of Delicious Apples anyway. Don't much care for many of the newer varieties. Grannie Smith are OK.  Gimme a Macintosh, Jonathon, Pippin, Winesap any day.

that one thing I noticed when we first moved here in 1970. Apples? You had a choice of Red or Golden Delicious. es todo. Then we started getting Grannys. We can get varietal apples from the little store. Might have to buy a case... but, we can get them. Never tried ordering stuff at Safeway. Can you?

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

Don't much care for many of the newer varieties. Grannie Smith are OK.  Gimme a Macintosh, Jonathon, Pippin, Winesap any day.

they drive you nuts with their new varieties of apples  ,   just give me my good old apples - I ain't fussy as long as it' s fresh and crispy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, grasshopper said:

Gimme a Macintosh, Jonathon, Pippin, Winesap any day.

Need a new apple tree here but I don't know which one.

The only kind to make a good Apple Crisp which was our favorite dessert here was with sour green apples. They just worked with the butter, brn sugar, sugar and flour. Now they were red if they lasted until July and usually way up high in the tree. Tough to get down but so very sweet and good then too. It was probably between all the green ones we took, what the birds took that made the red ones hard to get, but that hurricane carried it out of this yard that one morning. One honeycrisp will last me two days if I put the sharp white cheddar between slices of it.

• Like 2

we used to eat green [not ripe] apples until we would get sick at my dad's folk's house.  Between them and the grape arbor... Grandpa made wine...

Another thing I found out when caregiving my dad... He asked if we went down to the [Potomac] river when we were there.

"River? You never told us about a river...."

I guess they didn't want to get rid of us as bad as we thought

• Like 4