Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

4 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

I also had a 73 Z1,   I brought it to a shop for a  repair in 79  with 7k miles on the odometer  , I  left my keys and helmet with the plan to pick it  up after work  , one of the staffers took the bike out for a joy ride and crashed it badly bending the entire front end    he was lucky to survive  , my brand new Arai full face Helmet was split in half ------  lesson learned , never leave your bike un -attended at any shop -

1975 Kawasaki Z1 900 | Picture 1946869

I have never seen that color or striping before.

That is beautiful

6 hours ago, Edgar said:

I had that Corbin custom-made to raise the seat height by about 2 inches. Also installed risers on the bars. At 6'4" tall I was too big for the bike. It was never a comfortable ride for me.

Yes , makes sense , the bikes are made for Japanese riders  6 feet or shorter -

13 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

I also had a 73 Z1,   I brought it to a shop for a  repair in 79  with 7k miles on the odometer  , I  left my keys and helmet with the plan to pick it  up after work  , one of the staffers took the bike out for a joy ride and crashed it badly ,     he was lucky to survive  , my brand new Arai full face Helmet was split in half ------  lesson learned , never leave your bike un -attended at any shop -

1975 Kawasaki Z1 900 | Picture 1946869

I think this is a 1975 900 Z1B with dual front disc

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Davis said:

The summer of 1977, I was 15 yo and I bought my 1973 900 Z1

900 z1.jpg

Awesome photo, you didn't ride bare footed did you?

20 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

Yes , makes sense , the bikes are made for Japanese riders  6 feet or shorter -

More like 5'

7 minutes ago, Edgar said:

I have, on the desk in front of me, the December 1972 "Superbikes 1973" issue of Cycle magazine.

The Kawasaki 903 dynoed at a phenomenal 64.15 BHP. Nowadays literbikes are easily tripling that.

If you looked up the performance numbers on those bikes you would laugh, top speed about 125. I beat a few of them with a stock 82 V45 Sabre. They sure sounded great though.

29 minutes ago, Davis said:

I think this is a 1975 900 Z1B with dual front disc

All Z1's  were   single disc upfront  ,  rear drum brakes  , even the later KZ 900   , and , just like the H1 , H2   the front wheel /right fork and master cylinder were  ready for a  dual disk setup  , but mounting a 2nd disk was better if you reversed the left fork to the right and vice versa ,   as it reversed the calipers and the brake pads  grabbed earlier for better handling and braking  ----

1973 kawasaki z1 – top speed - Chin on the Tank – Motorcycle stuff in  Philadelphia.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

I like the pillion seat  , it looks a lot more comfortable    for riding  for long distances  that the stock seat  -

The seat was on the bike when I purchased it so I don't know anything about it.

We called that style a "King and Queen" seat.

I only lost one passenger off that seat.

A friend of mine was riding on the back and  he thought we had just gathered the attention of the local police and we had to stop at a stop light so I was motivated to get moving ASAP.

When the light turned green i was quickly releasing the clutch and the bike must have been sitting in some oil or something and the rear end went sideways and my friend flew off. I looked back and he was in a sitting position on the pavement in the middle of the road unhurt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Davis said:

. the rear end went sideways and my friend flew off. I looked back and he was in a sitting position on the pavement

oooooops -----I bet you he either never rode with you again , or he learned to hang on tighter when riding  on  a Z1

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Davis said:

bike must have been sitting in some oil or something and the rear end went sideways and my friend flew off. I looked back and he was in a sitting position on the pavement in the middle of the road unhurt.

uh huh  uh huh

you were checking to see if he was glued on.

I fell victim to that .... once

A "friend" popped a wheelie and left me sittin on the road

• Haha 2

We had a gusty day here the rain wasn't for long at all, but it's wet.. even the air is still wet after the sun has been out two hours or more. Filled the trash dumpster with limbs didn't make much garbage the past week myself. There's more out there since, pffftt... bet there are a lot without power south of here.

• Like 2

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

We had a gusty day here the rain wasn't for long at all, but it's wet.. even the air is still wet after the sun has been out two hours or more. Filled the trash dumpster with limbs didn't make much garbage the past week myself. There's more out there since, pffftt... bet there are a lot without power south of here.

A bit breezy here yesterday and last night and 7.5 inches of rain. Sunny and 68 today. Yes branches and a couple of 20' pine tree tops in the yard from the field next door. It's wet so I will wait to get on the tractor tomorrow to move them. Power went out last night at 8:30 and came back on 18 hours later.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

I beat a few of them with a stock 82 V45 Sabre. They sure sounded great though.

--------C'mon  Bill  ,  these guys must have been very lousy riders -

the Z1 went to 170 mph in 73  at Daytona with all but a stock bike and a fairing -------the endurance record  in 73 was 24h non-stop at120mph /stock  bike-  73 stock tires -  single disc brake , rear drum brake , 36mm forks , lousy 72  suspension -no fairing , 0 modification -

/https://youtu.be/sHpsB5ll9DI

you're  also  forgetting the  kawasaki  1978-----Z1R TC  ---1015cc with a turbocharger ---nothing could touch it  --the kit was about 1k$ and change , bolt on , no mods  into any Z1 ,  903cc  or 1015 cc with a  stock engine -----

1978 Kawasaki Z1RTC | Bike-urious

• Like 2