Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Freakin' RADICAL!!! 

Like hanging three out at the top of a pool on your skateboard!

* watched this about forty times, it's like he's doing 35 or better and it's just... graceful!

Edited by JohnJ
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Davis said:

The seat was on the bike when I purchased it so I don't know anything about it.

We called that style a "King and Queen" seat.

I only lost one passenger off that seat.

A friend of mine was riding on the back and  he thought we had just gathered the attention of the local police and we had to stop at a stop light so I was motivated to get moving ASAP.

When the light turned green i was quickly releasing the clutch and the bike must have been sitting in some oil or something and the rear end went sideways and my friend flew off. I looked back and he was in a sitting position on the pavement in the middle of the road unhurt.

Ruth rode on my motorbike

Directly back of me

I hit a bump at 65

And rode on 'Ruthlessly'

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

All Z1's  were   single disc upfront  ,  rear drum brakes  , even the later KZ 900   , and , just like the H1 , H2   the front wheel /right fork and master cylinder were  ready for a  dual disk setup  , but mounting a 2nd disk was better if you reversed the left fork to the right and vice versa ,   as it reversed the calipers and the brake pads  grabbed earlier for better handling and braking  ----

Even better was if you could reverse the fork legs so the callipers were on the back.  This put them in line with the steering post, so they would move very little as the forks moved.  This would improve the handling quite a bit, because having the heavy calipers in front of the steering neck made them act sort of like pendulums, increasing any propensity to wobble that the bike may have had.  This applied to all bikes with disc brakes, and was most noticeable on bumpy sections, particularly during turns.

BY 1975 or so, the factories finally figured this out, and most bikes made in 1976 or later had the calipers mounted behind the fork legs.

6 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Hope that's not true @NADman

but it was good 

Not true. But it's like----

There once was girl from St. Paul

Who went to a newspaper ball

Her dress caught on fire

And burnt her entire

Front page, sporting section and all

Any more limericks.

Cheer us up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Yep I'm into some cheery varied music tonight at the vinyl thread!

Dealing with legal and Insurance crap with the probate that was not settled today. F it it's after five... heck it just got dark, I'll deal with it in the morning!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Islander said:

Even better was if you could reverse the fork legs so the callipers were on the back.  This put them in line with the steering post, so they would move very little as the forks moved.  This would improve the handling quite a bit, because having the heavy calipers in front of the steering neck made them act sort of like pendulums, increasing any propensity to wobble that the bike may have had.  This applied to all bikes with disc brakes, and was most noticeable on bumpy sections, particularly during turns.

BY 1975 or so, the factories finally figured this out, and most bikes made in 1976 or later had the calipers mounted behind the fork legs.

we  are saying the same words   --except I am a Frenchie speaking -

you could not simply turn 180 degrees the fork  legs  on a 73 to 75 Z1 to have the calipers at the rear , you had to remove the fork legs  from the triple trees and swap the right leg to the left and vice versa , since the legs had a reflector mounted in the casting at the center  right under the fork boot  ---this feature is unique to the early Z1 - 

The https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/1974_Kawasaki_900_Z1.jpg

2 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

--------C'mon  Bill  ,  these guys must have been very lousy riders -

the Z1 went to 170 mph in 73  at Daytona with all but a stock bike and a fairing -------the endurance record  in 73 was 24h non-stop at120mph /stock  bike-  73 stock tires -  single disc brake , rear drum brake , 36mm forks , lousy 72  suspension -no fairing , 0 modification -

/https://youtu.be/sHpsB5ll9DI

you're  also  forgetting the  kawasaki  1978-----Z1R TC  ---1015cc with a turbocharger ---nothing could touch it  --the kit was about 1k$ and change , bolt on , no mods  into any Z1 ,  903cc  or 1015 cc with a  stock engine -----

1978 Kawasaki Z1RTC | Bike-urious

I don't know how lousy of riders they were, I didn't hang around! 

Here are some specs.....

1973 Kawasaki 900 Z 1 Super 4 specifications, pictures, reviews and rating
General information
Power: 79.0 HP (57.7 kW)) @ 8500 RPM
Top speed: 211.0 km/h (131.1 mph)
Compression: 8.5:1
Bore x stroke: 66

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

I don't know how lousy of riders they were, I didn't hang around! 

Here are some specs.....

1973 Kawasaki 900 Z 1 Super 4 specifications, pictures, reviews and rating
General information
Power: 79.0 HP (57.7 kW)) @ 8500 RPM
Top speed: 211.0 km/h (131.1 mph)
Compression: 8.5:1
Bore x stroke:  

There were Bimota kits with  Z1 900 engines that went to 140-150 miles per hour in 73 ,  it was still a Z1 900

-all modern 4 cylinder  inline twin cam bikes  including the Z1  are derived from the  4 cylinder  Giacomo Agostino  MV Agusta-  but these are very rare birds , a Ferrari class motorcycle -

$_57 (1)1977 MV Agusta 900S Classic Motorcycle Pictures

9 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

There were Bimota kits with  Z1 engines that went over 150 miles per hour in 73 ,  it was still a Z1  ------

-all modern 4 cylinder  inline twin cam bikes  including the Z1  are derived from the  4 cylinder  Giacomo Agostino  MV Agusta-  but these are very rare birds , a Ferrari class motorcycle -

$_57 (1)1977 MV Agusta 900S Classic Motorcycle Pictures

Nice bikes pictured. A 79 hp bike might get to 150, but with some time and aero help. But a stock 73 went around 130. My stock 82 Honda 750 had 82 HP. With those numbers so close, it will come down to the rider. The first couple I came across and outran, I thought the rider probably chickened out, but it kept happening. In 1984 my buddy bought a new 900 Ninja, he would dust my V45. He's the one that informed me about the power and quickness of those older 900s, they were slow. His ninja had around 35 more HP than the older 900s. I upgraded to a 84 1000 Interceptor, it ran slightly quicker than his, but then Kawi updated to a 1000 Ninja.

My point is.....those easy 70s Kaw 900 sounded like a Offenhauser, really sounded great, like nothing else (stock anyway) but they weren't that quick, or fast. They could be built, and many were. I was 19 at the time, and I would race anyone, anytime. I was amazed at some of the bikes that wouldn't perform like one would think. 

16 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

we  are saying the same words   --except I am a Frenchie speaking -

you could not simply turn 180 degrees the fork  legs  on a 73 to 75 Z1 to have the calipers at the rear , you had to remove the fork legs  from the triple trees and swap the right leg to the left and vice versa , since the legs had a reflector mounted in the casting at the center  right under the fork boot  ---this feature is unique to the early Z1 - 

The https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/1974_Kawasaki_900_Z1.jpg

You're right, I wasn't clear when I described it.  You have to put the left leg on the right side of the fork clamps and vice versa.  It's not just the reflector; the fender mounting points would then be on the outside, and the spacing of the caliper versus the disc might be off.  As well, on some bikes the speedo drive does not like going backwards.  When I swapped the legs around on my race bike, there was no speedo drive to worry about.

In any case, the reduction in wobble going through the bumpy Chicane at Sanair, a track southeast of Montreal, was immediately noticeable, and took much of the fright out of that section of the track.  If you move the handlebar from lock to lock, you can see how the caliper moves in an arc if it's on the front side of the fork leg, because it's well ahead of the steering axis.  This gives an effect similar to bolting a small lead weight to the front end of the fender.  It's easy to picture how that would actually magnify even a small wobble, and with dual discs and calipers, the effect is doubled, of course.

However, when the calipers are on the back sides of the fork legs, they swivel in position when the fork moves from the full left to the full right position, but they don't travel back and forth.  That makes all the difference.

• Like 1