Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

In kung fu movies they catch them by the shaft with their bare hands.  Bond would be jealous.

He was, so he pulled out his Beretta .25 auto ladies gun and shot Joe, all in one superquick a tin, while ducking his deathstar.

Heartshot...M took it away and gave him a Walther P-38. Disgruntled Bond tried to Palm the .25 upon leaving...  Not quick enough, the old man caught him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Well they delivered over 5100 pounds of metal yesterday, a workshop in parts anyway, well once it put together anyway.  Will be out of town until Sunday so no working on a concrete form for the slab until next week. First will be a trip to the permit office to make it legal, have all the paperwork for that ready.

Can't wait, it will be like when I was a kid and I had an erector set, except for it being heavier and I am now old. I need the exercise anyway.

New workshop, new Cabana.... I missed out on the news, whats going on down there ?      👍

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, dtel said:

That is the only thing needed and it is needed to get power connected with a seperate meter instead of coming off the house which would be a pain but doable if they give me any problems. . 

We recently had to double up the power in our building ,  so we ordered a cable reel roller all loaded  weighing several thousand pounds  and they delivered it , and dropped it Flat ,  which sure doesnt help  .  so we got a backhoe , grabbed it and flipped it , then rolled it inside the building through a ramp  ,I  never could imagine copper could weigh so much ,  and stretching these cables ,  and cutting these cables and bending them  by hand to fit in panels and  switching equipment  is no joke -

Cable Jack Towers For Heavy Cable Drum Lifting (Up To 40 Tonnes)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dtel said:

It will be nice to have some room to work, I was reading about insulation last night, that was one of them,

it's an excellent choice for insulation  , but the injected stuff can emanate chemicals that can affect  people who have lung issues , if it is not covered , and to a lesser degree with proper ventilation -

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Max2 said:

New workshop, new Cabana.... I missed out on the news, whats going on down there ?      👍

Just staying busy, remodeling a few rooms and about to get started on my workshop. Had some termite damage which started all of this, fixed that problem and decided to remodel 2 bedrooms and a bathroom. So far we did one bedroom and the bathroom, the other spare bedroom can wait, I want to do the workshop during the winter, much easier than summer. 

I still remember the pictures of where you stayed on that island and a link of that webcam on the other island, had to stop checking in it gets depressing, beautiful place.

How s little Max, I would guess getting bigger. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, RandyH000 said:

We recently had to double up the power in our building ,  so we ordered a cable reel roller all loaded  weighing several thousand pounds  and they delivered it , and dropped it Flat ,  which sure doesnt help  .  so we got a backhoe , grabbed it and flipped it , then rolled it inside the building through a ramp  ,I  never could imagine copper could weigh so much ,  and stretching these cables ,  and cutting these cables and bending them  by hand to fit in panels and  switching equipment  is no joke -

Cable Jack Towers For Heavy Cable Drum Lifting (Up To 40 Tonnes)

Your right, and could be more than a few thousand pounds. Did electrical work many years ago, your right some of those cable are very hard to deal with. I remember cables that were 4 inches across, they had to be greased and pulled a couple inches at a time, if not careful they will tear up the trays designed to hold them and bend huge conduit pipes. Very slow work and much harder in the winter as they are even stiffer, It was mostly in chemical plants and oil refineries. I don't miss that and those reels can be dangerous.

Double the power, that's a serious upgrade.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dtel said:

Double the power, that's a serious upgrade.

Hard work --we drilled floors that were over 1 foot thick of concrete   ,  UPS systems are kept charged 24-365   ,  1 new Diesel generator added on top of 2 other generators  to strictly feed UPS systems , 1 fails the second is on , 2 fail , the 3rd is on , any weather , any situation is covered   we added  2 main transformers on top of 4 more for further expansion needs  -

-The new Electronic , intelligent  transfer switches , and panels ,are  heavy , large 4x8 feet --the  breakers can snap 180 degrees ON/OFF in milliseconds -

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, RandyH000 said:

Hard work --we drilled floors that were over 1 foot thick of concrete   ,  UPS systems are kept charged 24-365   ,  1 new Diesel generator added on top of 2 other generators  to strictly feed UPS systems , 1 fails the second is on , 2 fail , the 3rd is on , any weather , any situation is covered   we added  2 main transformers on top of 4 more for further expansion needs  -

-The new Electronic , intelligent  transfer switches , and panels ,are  heavy , large 4x8 feet --the  breakers can snap 180 degrees ON/OFF in milliseconds -

Large systems like that are amazing, and amazingly expensive. Sounds like state of the art, but with all that power it has to be, one second of that not doing what it is designed for would fry many things quickly . 

I remember we once connected a transformer in a chemical plant and from the factory it was marked backwards. It was maby 5' high 3+ feet wide and about 6' long. We thought we were fine but marked backwards we connected as marked. When it went to go online we had backed up about 50' just to be safe, we were safe except for our underwear, it almost got ruined. It made the loudest noise and shook the cement foundation so loud and hard it was shocking. It was built in a heavy steel case I think filled with oil, if not it would have been a bomb and killed us all. High current like that is amazingly powerful and does not give a second chance, were used to normal house current which is really very little, on purpose. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dtel said:

Large systems like that are amazing, amazingly expensive. Sounds like state of the art, but with all that power it has to be, one second of that not doing what it is designed for would fry many things quickly . 

nothing is 100% fail proof , with electricity and electronics  , more is always  better , and you can fry everything if you have less  -

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dtel said:

Just staying busy, remodeling a few rooms and about to get started on my workshop. Had some termite damage which started all of this, fixed that problem and decided to remodel 2 bedrooms and a bathroom. So far we did one bedroom and the bathroom, the other spare bedroom can wait, I want to do the workshop during the winter, much easier than summer. 

I still remember the pictures of where you stayed on that island and a link of that webcam on the other island, had to stop checking in it gets depressing, beautiful place.

How s little Max, I would guess getting bigger. 

That sounds awesome. There is nothing like a good project to keep your mind moving. It seems I have been bouncing from this to that since the freakout in March.

We would love to go back down in the St. John, Virgin Gorda or the Tortola area and talk about it all the time, but have been settling with Florida trips with the that past Hurricane that smashed the islands. The logistic issues with getting others to go and group together and pitch in on a house for a week is difficult and now the Virus,  well it just puts things on perma hold..  Little Max isn't so little any more and is a constant reminder that I have to keep moving, breathing and keeping the joints oiled for quite a few years to come 😀  I  will have to come up with a good picture of him to post. Thanks for asking about him

• Like 1

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Max2 said:

There is nothing like a good project to keep your mind moving.

I have to have something going on, it drives me crazy when I have nothing to do, that's how the tiki bar came about. 

25 minutes ago, Max2 said:

The logistic issues with getting others to go and group together and pitch in on a house for a week is difficult and now the Virus,  well it just puts things on perma hold.

Yes it's difficult even without the virus to get everything lined up, but always worth it when it happens. 

25 minutes ago, Max2 said:

I  will have to come up with a good picture of him to post.

Yes you do, last we heard you were fixing up a small 4 wheeler (I think it was) for him to use which is a couple years ago ? Glad y'all are doing OK.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dtel said:

It will be nice to have some room to work, I was reading about insulation last night, that was one of them, I didn't like the normal insulation plus it makes putting the sheatin on much harder.

You can also look at SIPs panels.  Simple, quick, extremely strong and it's your insulation and sheeting all in one. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Pete H said:

You can also look at SIPs panels.  Simple, quick, extremely strong and it's your insulation and sheeting all in one. 

Those are nice, but the kit came with all the metal sheeting, but for a framed building those would work great. 

1 hour ago, grasshopper said:

tomorrow is our anniversary

Lucky 13

Seems like yesterday and an eternity at the same time...

Well happy anniversary.

1 hour ago, grasshopper said:

Looks like AZ has decided it is OK to enjoy marijuana.

Recreational use proposition passed

Good deal, and in Oregon they decriminalized heroin and cocaine, quite a bit different.

They passed medical marijuana in Mississippi by 68%. With all the stuff doctors can prescribe which can be bad this should be nationwide, much less side effects than most reception medicine.

• Like 5