Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
2 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

termites , hurricanes ,  what a year for you guys  , the steel building you are building , looks real strong , and it will get even stronger once the steel panels are screwed in -

-does this building have 1 door or a second door  in the back

The termites was the only step backwards, but it's fixed now.

The building seems like it will be strong and yes when all the sheeting is screwed on it will be stronger, that's well over 1000 screws.

It has one metal walk door (they call it) 30" wide and 70" tall I put it on the front right. There are two big doors, one on each end, each 10' wide and 9' tall.  3 doors total, I ordered the kit with the second 10' door opening in the back, mostly for ventilation since most of the year the wind is out of the South, kind of where it's facing. 

It's a engineered stamped design so the building permit part went easy, it gives all the spec's which down here is mostly wind which it's rated for 145 mph.

The kit does not come with the two 10'x9' roll up doors, after it's built that will be next, and for code also rated for the same wind speed. The kit did come with a really nice metal walk door and lockset, much better than I expected. It seems like a good deal for everything, $6,653 for the 24'W x 30'L kit .

• Like 3

A buddy of mine has a garage beside his house.  This is in an old suburban subdivision, with most homes on about 30’-35’ wide lots.  I noticed it had a back door as well as a front door, something I’d never seen before.  He told me it was his dad’s idea, to allow him to back his fishing boat on its trailer into the back yard.

Most of those lots have only about 6’ separation between the house and garage, and the other side of the garage is pretty much on the property line, so the presence of the garage really limits access to the back yard.  For that reason, I think that having both front and rear doors on a garage (or other outbuilding) is a great idea.

Hmm, on further thought, it occurs to me that if you’re a hoarder, the rear door lets you access the back side of the pile of stuff you can’t seem to get rid of.  How handy is that?

Last question:  referring to your picture, are the orange straps used to hold everything square until you get all the bolts installed and tightened?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, oldtimer said:

By all means, find someone to blame.  Finger pointing, the new American sport.

Mikey got with Sharon, Sharon got Sheriee
She was sharin' Sharon's outlook on the topic of disease
Mikey had a facial scar and Bobby was a racist
They were all in love dying they were doin' it in Texas

• Like 3

15 hours ago, dtel said:

Ok I should have taken your advice, we did nothing and it felt like it. 

We both woke up sore the next day, and everyday after just got worse and worse. We got to the point I was hoping to get to and decided to quit and rest a day so he could drive back without feeling like he had a butt whipping, still drove home sore I know because I am still sore. Knees,  elbows and most of the muscles in between are sore. 

It's past the point of the frame being bolted together, squared and tightened down, I'm very happy with how far we got. It's a relief to be past the heavy part, the frame, one part alone was 350 pounds and it went in the highest part. It's sheeting and trim from here on, I can do that by myself.

I don't know if he will see this but if so,  Thank You Very Much, it was FUN but rough and you saved me from trying some crazy things to get it to this point. Not that some of what we did was not crazy because it was. 

Today I just cleaned up, picking up everything and moving the extra dirt. Going to take a break with some rain days and not be so sore when I get back to work.  

How it stands so far.

shop (19).jpeg

Looks good Elden, very heavy duty.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Got barrel proof here at home also.  Funny thing about those.  I've bought them from the low 120 proofs to the upper 130 range.  They taste different obviously.  Usually there's no problem getting them around here.

You Lucky dog you!

On the way!

Love it, have only had the high 30s on the four I've bought since I ditched four roses. It is "allocated" here and somebody else found out they liked it I guess.

godoggo.jpg

16 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

-----great job ----the hardest is done  , except for the roof -

---Steel , Concrete is hard work , you want to feel better ,  start adding bananas to your diet (  ripe )  eat  1-2every  hour  ,  a bit of  nuts here and there  ,  by the end of the day , you wont feel a thing  -

Potassium is an interesting thing, in what it can do for you. Hey you are aware that a ripe tomato has more in it?

Especially one big enough for one slice to make a sandwich on real bread not the 30% smaller substitute for bread that has the perverted shortening in it.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dtel said:

24'W x 30'L kit .

- once you're all shut in ,  you can prepare for electrical wiring  for a generator or off the grid with  2 solar panels / batteries/electrical panel , the building could be self sufficient in power 24/7 with LED lighting/computers/cell phones   -and even a fridge/stove

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

- once you're all shut in ,  you can prepare for electrical wiring  for a generator or off the grid with  2 solar panels / batteries/electrical panel , the building could be self sufficient in power 24/7 with LED lighting/computers/cell phones   -and even a fridge/stove

I noticed you didn't mention a sound system. 

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Islander said:

Last question:  referring to your picture, are the orange straps used to hold everything square until you get all the bolts installed and tightened?

Yes your right, almost everything is at first hand tightened then you add the straps, level it up and go back and tightened everything. I plan on leaving them on until I get the sheeting on. The straps seem to take the last bit of wiggle out of the frame, probably add a couple more to have an X on all sides, just to be safe to keep everything square.

Taking off a couple days and then start back at it, would like to go now but still a little sore, mostly my knees. I guess from walking on the cement and being on the ladders. 

I have to say I love my new ladder, a Gorilla ladder, my son in law loaned me a Warner which is almost exactly the same but the Gorilla is better, a little lighter (still heavy) and a little cheaper and rated for 375 pounds compared to the 300 from Warner. Both are the kind that go into many different positions

• Like 2

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

It could be, it will  have LED lighting but NO cell phone, since I don't have or want one. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:
29 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

No but that was thought of before the building was bought, it's ready and waiting. Even went out there with a laptop to see if the WIFI would reach with an extender at the corner of the house. It seems to reach pretty well but not sure once all that metal is on ? But it will have wifi one way or another since I stream music for general listening. I use one of those little extenders to reach the tiki bar, they work well. In the bar it went to kind of spotty to a full signal, it's about 40' from the extender and 35' more to the router.

NGWN3000RP_netgear_n_wireless_range_extender_white_wn3000rp.jpg

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 minute ago, RandyH000 said:

in bananas  , the magnesium is what helps the pain /cramps   ----checkout @dtel  buddy , he can't get enough

I should have been eating that many while we were working, does look like me a little. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

for a sound system , I would go with Wind -generated  electricity 24/7 -and  solar as a booster for steady power

- solar in the north east is low efficiency  , the weight of the panels , snow ,and  ice freezing  on  roofs   -

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Which one of those guys were you calling smaller and perverted John?

The sandwich bread and the shortening with something taken out of it.

I have bought bread once since my mother had to go NPO over a year ago. That was some Publix Chicago Italian that has a good consistency and tastes ok. Got turkey sandwiches for almost four days after Thanksgiving this year. For me since the whole wheat changed too... it's gotta be layers of turkey, S&P, and Dukes on white bread.

You must remember the way bread was bigger before b*$ry&m@chael.

And before the saturated fat was taken from the shortening?

Martians, greenies, a political party ruined our "Americana" food. Weren't potatos (no e in there this isn't england) banned from the schools when the cardboard stuff started being served to the kids there? The banning of partially hydrogenated vegetable oil ruined all the candy with any fluffiness to it... glad I was not eight or twelve when that happened!

Ya know back when "Ya can't eat just one lays potato chip"?

Been PO'd since the demise of potato chips, my most favorite of all foods. Pringles is about the same though... but they've always been different! 

Guy that is a cook here told me about the Armour Premium Lard. It is actually more healthy that today's crisco, way better for me than using bacon grease to bake cornbread.

Works for a better flavor when searing a roast too.

Ah hell, I don't eat right anymore anyhow. Coffee was breakfast, Late July tortillas with Herdez Salsa Verde  & sharp cheddar cheese for lunch. Now for a snack after doing laundry, finishing the lawn, making a cardboard crate for a framed mirror, rockin out with Cheap Trick and the Four Horseman it is these in the little cans I got two for $6 earlier.

PXL-20201212-194521050.jpg

• Like 3