Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

I worked at a place once where the owner got mad and fired EVERYONE. We all went outside, leaned against the work trucks and had a cup of coffee. about 10 minutes later the owner came out and hired everyone back.  I wanted to renegotiate my salary; but figured that was a bad time to bring it up. 

• Haha 4

well...

we got thrown into a tizzy

Got a phone call from SIL this AM...saying niece and fam tested positive before their flight to Guatemala and were back home..... Wife saw niece 2 days ago.....

after a bunch of gyrations, I suggested wife call niece.  

What really happened was

Terminal 3 at Skyharbor [Phoenix] shut down to a computer puking. So, they couldn't get in to get out...

Niece and fam could have booked a flight out tomorrow BUT their covid tests would no longer be valid.

SIL got her info from son-in-law's brother in Guatemala....

remember the "telephone game"?

Much relieved... still PO'd.

Was checking the estimated delivery date for my speakers.  Tomorrow. UPS...  And the driver knows where we live. Frankly, I'll be surprised if they show. I placed the order Sat AM and they're shipping UPS Ground. IF they shipped Sat, they could... but, I'm not holding my breath.

• Haha 1

It can be hard to stay positive when you really want to test negative.  We’re living in very strange times.  

As Red Foreman once said, in a fantasy sequence where everyone was in the future and wearing silver suits, “It looks like I’ll have a heart attack before I get my jet pack!”

Weren’t we all supposed to have jet packs by now?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

I worked at a place once where the owner got mad and fired EVERYONE. We all went outside, leaned against the work trucks and had a cup of coffee. about 10 minutes later the owner came out and hired everyone back.  I wanted to renegotiate my salary; but figured that was a bad time to bring it up. 

on the contrary...

Looks like the perfect time for salary discussion

I worked at the local bowling alley many times. Never got fired, quit more than a few times...  I guess I was a temperamental [mostly mental] pita.....  They just had to realize I was a necessary evil. Not that I was that good of a mechanic... was good at preventative maintenance.    Lots of "Clean and to inspect" and some minor adjustments. Cleaning under the machines was a treasure hunt. Jewelry, tools, machine parts --- "Oh, I know where you came from... wonder if someone replaced it?"

I miss working there. It was fun. Good mix of physical activity and troubleshooting...

was a fun job... ya know there was no money in it. Lucky I made good when I was on Kauai. That made my SSI enough to pay for medicare lol

• Like 3

Hope they get it straightened out in Phoenix.  Youngest daughter is on a Wednesday red-eye into Detroit.  Said she'd be here mid-afternoon Christmas Eve.  She had Covid last fall so I hope she brings it to me so I can give her that Christmas cash she's expecting.  Sounds fair to me.  NOT!  IF I'm lucky she'll take these Heresy's outta here along w/an amp.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

I worked at the local bowling alley many times. Never got fired, quit more than a few times...  I guess I was a temperamental [mostly mental] pita.....  They just had to realize I was a necessary evil. Not that I was that good of a mechanic... was good at preventative maintenance.    Lots of "Clean and to inspect" and some minor adjustments. Cleaning under the machines was a treasure hunt. Jewelry, tools, machine parts --- "Oh, I know where you came from... wonder if someone replaced it?"

I miss working there. It was fun. Good mix of physical activity and troubleshooting...

worked at a bowling alley back in 1990, from a Monday to the following Tuesday. I quit. Too many moving parts in those machines and I'm the least mechanically inclined person on earth. I'm creative, not mechanical. I'll write a story about why the machine is broke; but don't ask me to fix it. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bubo said:

When the Director complained to the CEO about his treatment, the CEO told him that he was a fah in a loud clear voice with the door open and told him don't come back.

After six months at his new company his entire staff of 60 went to the CEO at noon, and told him if they were still working for the guy at 5 pm they were all quitting. They had a new boss by 1pm.

That is awesome! Rock On:

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

was thinking about my [half] expected package tomorrow...

Where does Klipsch ship out of. The office is in Indy.

package delivery prognostication ... I think they use out of work weather forecasters.  

last night, about 8pm, reports says package delayed, new estimated delivery date is Dec 26th.  Now it says will be delivered today. 

I think they're just making this stuff up. 

• Like 2

@Dave1290

they're up and running now.

Steve,

I spent a lot of time just watching the machines... lots of moving parts..... all levers, springs and cams...and very few electronics. Mostly voltage changes for a magnetic clutch, main motor and the light over the pins....

it started getting messy when they retrofitted 60yr old machines with computerized scoring. That threw me. What I learned... it is displays these symptoms, you replace this board... then they got cameras for the scoring....I am not good with electricity. I have a little more confidence after playing with r/c stuff.... but, electricity in just plain magic as far as I'm concerned

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bill ... getting a stuck pin out of the turnaround pan or a ball return is the extent of my skill ... and you can teach a monkey to do that in about 30 minutes. I pulled a lever one time and the entire rack of pins came crashing onto the lane ... during a league night. My buddy was at the desk and when I came out from then back end, he smiled and said "you pulled the (whatever it was called) didn't you?"  

was so happy when the wife got a job during that two day bowling alley career of mine, so I could legitimately tell them that the wife went back to work and I had to take care of the kids at night. I did work full-time during the day, the bowling alley gig was more for fun ... which it wasn't.