Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

1 hour ago, Pete H said:

Good Morning!  Been up since 4, probably time to stop on the coffee at this point.  I'm sure that everyone is busy preparing for "Covid Christmas" and wanted to take a moment to wish you all a safe and Merry Christmas.  Rock On!

To You Too @Pete H

Got up like that yesterday.. today turned off the 6:00 alarm then got up at 7. I emptied the hopper, didn't want to clean out that monster grinder so when I put the good stuff in just tossed the first couple of tbsps. Sumatra.. remember the place the wave wiped out? Isle of Java, Krakatoa and all that?

They have their coffee bushes back up and man this is great coffee. Makes me smile and almost forget about the bland last few mornings. Capt. Beefheart doing some storytelling now and I'm warming up well.

Check out what @BigStewMan put up at the youtubethread since yesterday. I keep that tab open a lot when I'm on the pc.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, richieb said:

Not a chance. I stuff my own stocking. (I’m waiting).

7 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

too easy

But it needs to be said, take your pick:

If you didn't it would be empty.

If you didn't no one else would.

You need to keep your stocking out of your butt.

I'll bet it's a very small stocking.

Do you stuff it or pack it with fudge?

• Haha 1

Doing the prep work for this years Christmas batch 'O punkin pies. They won't all fit in the oven, so I'll bake some, boil others and perhaps smoke a section or two for a flavor experiment. Should yield at least a dozen pies. Neighbors will be happy.

second pic is music to bake by. It's a seventies explosion. Wife is at work, so the volume is up. Using the decorated La Scala's, enhanced by a pair of Exodus subs. Will post later on progress.

IMG_1157.JPG

IMG_1158.JPG

IMG_1159.JPG

As predicted, they would not fit.

IMG_1162.JPG

IMG_1163.JPG

• Like 9

1 hour ago, MookieStl said:

too easy

51 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

But it needs to be said, take your pick:

If you didn't it would be empty.

If you didn't no one else would.

You need to keep your stocking out of your butt.

I'll bet it's a very small stocking.

Do you stuff it or pack it with fudge?

I would go for #4 but with Richie, when he lobs out these softballs, it is usually a trap and he is waiting with a retort!

So I will stay out of it!

Still like #4 best.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JBCODD said:

Doing the prep work for this years Christmas batch 'O punkin pies. They won't all fit in the oven, so I'll bake some, boil others and perhaps smoke a section or two for a flavor experiment. Should yield at least a dozen pies. Neighbors will be happy.

second pic is music to bake by. It's a seventies explosion. Wife is at work, so the volume is up. Using the decorated La Scala's, enhanced by a pair of Exodus subs. Will post later on progress.

IMG_1157.JPG

IMG_1158.JPG

IMG_1159.JPG

As predicted, they would not fit.

IMG_1162.JPG

IMG_1163.JPG

Go man, go!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

That sounds like the scenario of a good movie!

Yeah, the name of the band makes me laugh.  I don’t know why I didn’t look them up before.  I just remember the sight of my bikes on the trailer as it pulled away.  That was a sad day.  Later, I realized that I’d forgotten to remove the licence plate from my RD400, the one I had commuted, toured, and drag raced on.  That bike was pretty special to me.  It had taken me to Vancouver, Florida, and Lac St-Jean in northern Quebec.  As well, one time a buddy suggested we go to the drag strip at Cayuga, about an hour’s ride southwest of Toronto, so just for a laugh, we went.  It was bracket racing.  I was pretty sharp on the clutch that day, and to my surprise I kept winning and eliminated everyone.  At the end of the day, I got my biggest trophy, bigger than all the roadrace ones that I’d risked life and limb to get.  I found that a bit ironic.

Anyway, the licence number was 52.  Annually, another buddy and I used to go to the licence office with the lowest numbers in the province, which was in or near Toronto, so it was easy.  I had #350 once, for my 350, and #12 another time.  Eventually, they went to stickers, of course, but I’ve still got the stack of plates in my toolbox, except for #52.  When I remembered and called the contact guy for the band, it turned out that the bike had been stolen!  I felt sorry for him, but at least I have a picture of the bike on the side of the highway, north of Vancouver, the furthest point of the ride from Toronto, with the #52 plate visible.  12,000 km/7500 miles in 5 weeks, passing though South Dakota to see the Badlands and Mount Rushmore.  It was a lot of fun, and on the way home, a few days out from Toronto, I met a guy from Vancouver Island riding a BMW R100RS, who was on his way East for his first time.  We’re still friends.  We were young guys then, but now he’s a grandfather and my daughter is middle-aged.  Time flies.

There was another bike, a 1956 Adler MB200.  The name is not well known, but it was the bike, along with the MB250, that greatly influenced the design of the earliest Yamahas, in the same way that the DKW bikes influenced the Harley-Davidson Whizzer and the BSA Bantam.  After WW II, German designs started showing up in bikes from Japan all the way to England.  However, that didn’t seem to happen with cars.  I don’t think any M-B or BMW influences showed up in American cars of the 1950s.

I sold that bike to a private collector, the guy who ran the biggest bike show in Ontario and maybe Canada, The International World of Motorcycles.  He has a private bike museum, with around fifty bikes, including a number of significant Canadian racing bikes.  And he already had another Adler!  So that was a good home, too.

Finally, there was my FZ750/1000.  I kept it.  It needed a new frame and front end, so I bought those parts and paid a riding friend to do the swap.  That bike is still with me, parked behind my van, and it still puts a smile on my face whenever I see it.

If you’ve read this far, thanks for your patience and indulgence.  I rode for twenty-eight years, and have lots of great memories form that time, along with a few less happy memories.  That’s life, right?

• Like 5

Looks like I underestimated the yield. After running alla da cooked punkin thru the trusty RonCo Blend'O Matic I've got about three gallons of purée. So if each pie takes two cups, which iz 16 oz, and a gallon is 128 oz, let's see:

7x13=28. 

Carry the two, convert to metric and I will get 17 hectares uv pie. Me Gusta.

IMG_1165.JPG

First five in the oven, didn't dent the purée supply. May get three dozen outa dis.

IMG_1167.JPG

Too many equis

• Like 6
  • Haha 1