Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

24 minutes ago, KROCK said:

English Bull Terrier.

I was wondering why the skull was so big for a puppy   , yep  , here's what she'll look like -----it's rare to see such dogs , a Friend of mine had a white male  ,with  black semi spots -  I hope you can avoid getting her spayed  ---damn shame for these dogs , for their health and character -

Bull Terrier Dog Breed Information and Pictures

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

I was wondering why the skull was so big for a puppy   , yep  , here's what she'll look like -----it's rare to see such dogs , a Friend of mine had a white male  ,with  black semi spots -  I hope you can avoid getting her spayed  ---damn shame for these dogs , they their health and character -

Bull Terrier Dog Breed Information and Pictures

No, I'm not going to spay her. I'll deal with the cycle. I hope.

She keeps me entertained @ 10 weeks old,  lol. Just wish she can stay this size, she should get around 50lbs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Warning light in the BMW Z4 says "engine malfunction reduced power".  Any ideas?  Garage not open till Monday.

you need to reduce power because of an engine malfunction.  that's the best I can do on a holiday.  My grandma used to sit me on her knee and say "Little BigStewMan, never trust a light bulb on a holiday."  (grandma never drove). 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Warning light in the BMW Z4 says "engine malfunction reduced power".  Any ideas?  Garage not open till Monday.

The last performance vehicle I had was a '94 9C1. The oxygen sensors on the exhaust, right after the manifolds then after the cats would do funny stuff like that. Only thing comparable to it that I know. Unless the drivability changed noticably hope it's a simple sensor. BMWs are different.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tarheel said:

could be a simple as a  misfiring spark plug  and a bad or dirty  fuel injector  ,or  a fuel pump not sending the right pressure  , could also be a sensor from a dirty or afterrmarket air filter ------

-as soon as the mechanic will plug in the computer to read the error code , he will know what the problem is -

--most common is the injector /spark plug  misfiring because the cylinder is not getting the right  fuel air   mixture or    the fuel pump

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tarheel said:

if I were you , I would 1)-  remove the air filter ----if it's dirty -----clean it or replace it   - you can disconnect the red wire of the battery for 1minute  to see if the error light goes out , if not , most likely the mechanic has to reset -remove the error -

2)- add 1,5  bottles of fuel cleaner ,  and a can  to remove water from the gaz  tank  , top it off with Super Gazoline  -start the engine to let the cleaner /water remover circulate    for at least 30 minutes

• Like 1

neujahr_83.gif      feuerwerk_138.gif

To all of you in here. I´ve been in your community for almost 1 year now and never thought I'd have so much fun and find so many friends. You americans are a great people. You can be proud of yourselves. With my very utmost respect

George

• Thanks 6

39 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

if I were you , I would 1)-  remove the air filter ----if it's dirty -----clean it or replace it   - you can disconnect the red wire of the battery for 1minute  to see if the error light goes out , if not , most likely the mechanic has to reset -remove the error -

2)- add 1,5  bottles of fuel cleaner ,  and a can  to remove water from the gaz  tank  , top it off with Super Gazoline  -start the engine to let the cleaner /water remover circulate    for at least 30 minutes

Yes I have added a Chevron product Textron fuel system cleaner the last two tanks to solve sticking injectors.  That problem went away but now this!  I always use BP gas.....they bought out Amaco the white gas folks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Yes I have added a Chevron product Textron fuel system cleaner the last two tanks to solve sticking injectors.  That problem went away but now this!  I always use BP gas.....they bought out Amaco the white gas folks.

O'Reilly can scan it for you to give you a general idea of what system is malfunctioning.  I wouldnt spend a penny guessing at what it might be as it could be 1000 different things.  Code readers are fairly inexpensive also.  Get one and you can read them yourself. Theyre handy to have.

• Thanks 1

@Tarheel that techron is the best besides hooking it up to a machine for that half hour job. But twice in a row? Might have to change the fuel filter check the plugs and all that! Are you at any beamer forums? Pull a couple plugs take pics with your phone, their condition and color, oxidation ( if they're awful) can give clues to what is happening in the motor. You talked about it like it was pristine when you got it! So I'd bet you clogged the filter with crud.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Could be something as simple as a loose gas cap or what I had last time I went to The Dragon . I guess I shook loose the connection of the air box and MAS . I seem to be my cars worst enemy . Before that my clutch slave cylinder failed and 2 weeks later I had to replace the steering rack at 40k miles .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Tarheel said:

https://www.youcanic.com/guide/bmw-engine-malfunction-reduced-power

Skip to main content

User account menu

Home

BMW Engine Malfunction Reduced Power

BMW Engine Malfunction Reduced Power

Vehicle:   BMW
Difficulty: 
DIY Cost:
Est. Time: 1 hr

BMW Engine Malfunction Reduced Power Problem warning is a common problem that affects BMW models, including 335i, 535i, 745i, X1, X3, X5.

In this guide, you will learn about common problems that cause BMW engine malfunction and how to diagnose the problem yourself.

BMW Engine Malfunction Reduced Power message comes on when the engine computer (DME module) in your car detects a problem.

When the BMW engine malfunction message pops up on your Drive, the check engine light (service engine soon) may also come on.

The color of the check engine light can help you understand how serious the problem is.

Symptoms

BMW Engine Malfunction message is shown on the iDrive screen.

BMW owners may notice the following symptoms:

• Reduced Engine Power
  • Increased emissions
  • Reduced Output
  • Transmission in limp home mode ( in some cases)
  • Drivetrain malfunction and engine light
  • Reduced engine message coming up during acceleration

Common Problems

This is a list of common problems that trigger BMW Engine Malfunction Reduced Power message.

To determine why you are getting this warning, start by reading the fault codes by connecting a BMW scanner to the OBD-II port under the dashboard on the driver's side. 

Valvetronic

Most BMW engines are equipped with Valvetronic. It variates the amount of intake valve lift, eliminating the need for a throttle plate.

Although this is quite a complex system, it is quite durable.

If it fails, you might have poor throttle response and a lack of power.

Usual failure points are an electric motor and an eccentric shaft position sensor.

Codes: 2A61, 2A63, 2A67, 2A6F, 2A70

Vanos

bmw engine malfunction reduced power x6 due to vanos

Oil-powered actuators operate Vanos. It is a straightforward and robust system. In most cases, it will fail if there is an oil sludge buildup within the Vanos solenoids.

This is a result of too long oil change intervals. Luckily, faulty Vanos solenoids are an easy and cheap thing to fix.

In addition to the "BMW engine malfunction reduced power" message, you will also notice engine noise such as tapping or knocking noises (VANOS area).

Usually, after starting a cold engine or at idle for the first few seconds.

Codes: 2A82, 2A87

Oxygen Sensor

BMW oxygen sensor engine malfunction sign

BMW engine control uses readings from upstream O2 sensors to achieve optimal engine performance.

Upstream O2 sensors can get fouled by excessive fuel or oil consumption.

Furthermore, damaged wiring or a loose connector is also possible.

Whatever the reason, it will affect the engine performance, and you will get a yellow 1/2 'check engine' light.

Codes: 2C9C, 2C9C or P0171 to P0174

Ignition Coils

bmw engine malfunction yellow light due to loose ignition coil

Ignition coils can fail for many reasons. It will result in a misfire, causing the engine to shake and judder under acceleration.

Misfire is very damaging to your catalytic converter, so don't drive your BMW with a misfire.

Ignition coils are easy to replace, so it's a good idea to have one spare ignition coil.

A loose connector to the ignition coil can cause BMW engine malfunction yellow light to come on.

Codes: P0300 to P0306

Timing Chain

bmw engine malfunction reduced power 535i

Timing chain-related problems can trigger a 'check engine' light.

Although timing chains are supposed to be a life-long item, they can get exclusively stretched with time.

Tensioner or plastic guides can fail, too. Timing that has jumped two or three teeth will cause engine rattle, a yellow 1/2 'check engine' light, and Vano's related codes.

Red 1/2 'check engine' light will indicate a bigger timing jump.

In either case, please turn off the engine immediately and do not restart it.

Battery

bmw engine malfunction reduced power m3

A weak battery can cause BMW Engine Malfunction Reduced Power message on the iDrive screen.

BMW vehicles are susceptible to the voltage, and if the battery is old, it may hold a proper charge.

If your battery is over 7 years old, it is time to change it to avoid other electrical issues.

A bad alternator regulator can cause similar symptoms, as well.

High-Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP)

High-Pressure Fuel Pump

Newer BMW vehicles, starting from E90 335i, have engines with high-pressure fuel injection.

This is a delicate system that can be damaged by low-quality fuel.

High-pressure fuel pump and injectors are the usual failure points.

Symptoms include engine hard starting with long cranking, rough idle, and a yellow 1/2 'check engine' light.

In most cases, power output and acceleration are heavily affected.

You must check and replace the faulty pump or injectors as soon as possible.

Codes: 2FBA, 2FBF, 29DC, 29E2

Turbo

bmw turbo triggers engine malfunction warning

If you have a turbocharged BMW that feels down and power and sluggish on acceleration, you may have a boost leak.

This can be caused by something as simple as a broken vacuum line.

Boost solenoids that operate the turbochargers can fail.

You should also check the charge piping that connects the turbo with the intercooler and intake manifold.

These are rubber hoses that can break or slip off.

Lastly, a stuck open wastegate or a leaking blow-off valve will also cause low boost issues.

Codes: 30FF for a boost leak

How to diagnose BMW Engine Malfunction Reduced Power

To diagnose BMW Engine Malfunction, you will need a BMW Scanner to read manufacturer-specific fault codes.

Pay attention to fault codes from the DME module and also perform a full system scan.

Frequently Asked Questions

My BMW has a big yellow check light and says, 'Engine fault! Reduced power'. What should I do?. What does 'drive moderately' really mean? My BMW has a 'check engine' light, but I can't read any fault codes?

Guide by  YOUCANIC Automotive Experts

Published on Tuesday, January 29, 2019.
Last updated on Saturday, November 14, 2020

Comments

I had similar experience a few days ago in my 2013 X5 Xdrive 35d in Bakersfield , California under 100 F. Several problems identified by dealer- 1) low pressure ERG valve faulty, 2) camshaft sensor not reading correctly, 3) glow plug in one of the engine cylinder not functioning properly. Spent a fortune on both parts and labor.

Hi, I have 2009 BMW 535i, I just bought it recently, after a week I got 1/2 yellow light check engine with a message on the IDrive say(engine malfunction, power reduced). any advices what the problem might be? note the light goes away after turn off the engine and restarted, but comes on back again after I drive it and exactly when I accelerate. Thanks,

I have 2010 BMW problem is engine manfulcition all the starting car smoke to much and run 25 miles for aurs no power very slow running l don't know

I have a 2011 BMW x5 35d Diesel motor is shaking a lot. Mechanic says those power issues can be glow plugs or injectors it's also idling low.

Hi, I got the half engine symbol today with the mentioned message ( power reduced), the message disappeared when I stopped for 1 hour at a shop and restart the journey again.

Hi it's sounds like your catalytic converter are block you need to check it with experienced Bmw technician

Check your catalytic converter

Thanks for this page. Had the 1/2 engine light today and engine felt like it was misfiring. Replaced battery and reset codes all fixed running beautifully. Cheers

Did u find the problem got the same problem

Need some help. Dealer scan and doesn´t really know why it happens. Got X5 xdrive premium 3.0TD, 2011. It gives an engine fault, a yellowish message with half an engine drawing, then it says: full engine power no longer available. Possible to continue journey. Drive moderately. Have the problem checked by the nearest BMW dealer. Problem is, the dealer can´t figure out what the problem is. It got worse when we took it to the beach, here in Costa Rica, the temperatures were at 96F, and that worsen the problem. What it happens is that when I step on it an the revs reach around 3000rpm, it trouble shoots and you can feel the engine actually looses power. When slowing down, then the message disappears and the car keeps running, apparently normally. Except when I tried again to accelerate, it happened again. Does someone knows what the problem might be? thanks.

How much did you spend?

I have a 2008 BMW X6 5.0 or 4.4 V8 twin turbo engine, engine malfunction reduced power keep popping up, than I change all fuel injectors it was running perfectly for 1000km and now the problem is back again, car only did 78k km so far, really frustrating please help

Hi there, I have exactly the same problem that you mentioned above. Hope you find the solution of it . Can you advice please. Thanks

I have the that same problem. Have u found out what was wrong with it

My 2010 535i does same thing,. When I excellerate light half comes on, Still runs ok but soon as I turn it off and start it again ,the lights off. I don't understand.

I have the same thing going on with my 2009 BMW 535xi. unfortunately this is somewhat of a common problem for our cars. At one point BMW even offered an extended warrant because they were aware of the issue with the cars. I had BMW check mine and i was too late. When i got my scan done at the BMW dealership, they said i need a new turbo all together. So I've been driving suitable but cautiously since then. But my mechanic is going to replace my Turbocharger Boost Solenoid Valves. These control the opening and closing of the wastegate and may help solve the issue. Its basically an inexpensive try as compared to replacing two turbos ($1400 plus Labor).

I bought a 2011 x5 xdrive 5.0 and the half yellow warning light came on also the engine acted like it wanted to stall but managed to regain power but light stays on, tried to do a factory reset and the light stayed on, so I'm very curious to know if it's a major or minor problem to fix.

My 2012 bmw x5 5.0 burn oil... I have to add oil every 3 days or maybe 4..Can you give me some insight on this issue

Related Guides

YOUCANIC Logo

101 N Haven St Suite 301
Baltimore, Maryland 21224 USA

Our mission is to help and empower vehicle owners and DIYers. YOUCANIC is a registered trademark. Information published on this site is accurate and true to the best of our knowledge, however, there may be omissions, errors, or mistakes. Therefore, you agree to use this information at your own risk. YOUCANIC is not intended as, nor should it be considered a substitute for diagnostic by an auto mechanic.

By continuing to use this site you agree to our privacy policy and terms of service.

Copyright © 2020 YOUCANIC. All Rights Reserved. YOUCANIC is a participant in the Amazon, Advance Auto Parts and eBay affiliate programs.

AN ELITE CAFEMEDIA PUBLISHER
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Tarheel said:

On 12/30/2020 at 9:11 AM, Tarheel said:

We're taking up funds to buy armor suits for dtel's squirrels.  PayPal accepted.

• Haha 1