Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

On 1/18/2021 at 8:55 PM, dtel said:

No it was oil based, we were quite surprised the smell was not worse than it was, I think the heater running was drawing the fumes to the back of the house. Still probably lost few brain cells which is OK even though were running low.

I was painting poly on the wood trim around the fireplace so he could work right up to it doing the floor. The watering can was 2.5 gallons, you can kind of see it.

museum (4).jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/18/2021 at 4:21 AM, dtel said:

Home again, floor looks really good. This is pictures of it wet, it is not gloss but satin when it dries. 

100 year old oak, the first time it has been sealed.

museum (2).jpg

museum (5).jpg

museum (1).jpg

I love wooden floors. The floor of the living-room in our old home was wood too, don´t know wich though, but it was very dark.

• Like 3

I'm with you mudd.  Oak strip flooring in LF's place.  Satin polyurethane finish.  Heart Pine at my place.  Satin polyurethane.  I have a Persian rug in my great room that was made in Iran in 1952.  Looks great bordered by the Pine.

When I was building my house in 1987 I sourced Heart Pine and it was very pricey.  A high school friend and builder told me about timbers being used to stack new lumber at the local lumber yard.  He needed 10" material for his customer and since he was married to the lumber yards owners daughter he convinced them to saw up the timbers.  He used all of the 10" stock and I bought the remaining 6" lumber.  So I did the entire house except for one bathroom.  It has been refinished once in thirty years.  Tough stuff!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

I had a maverick St. Bernard years ago. that dog would lay on the patio and gnaw at the stucco on the house. He ate his glass water bowl. He jumped through the screen of the front window. He bit an electrical cord in half ... the box fan was running, dog bit through the cord and got shocked too. Just shook his head and walked away. BUT, he was going nuts one night. barking like crazy, would run to the sliding door and bark, then run to the middle of the back yard and stare in one direction. did this a couple of times, then I got curious. neighbors had a fire going and the smoke from the chimney was going right into my yard ... the dog was alerting me to the smoke. After I petted him and told him it was okay, he settled down. I guess he just wanted me to know something was up. 

that sounds like my GermanShorthairPointer.... Ate thru doors Jump out of 2nd floor windows. Broke out of a kennel into the building and went thru a window that had welded wire over it. He suffered serious separation anxiety. 

He followed me up a ladder to the roof. Crazy dog from the shelter...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tarheel said:

I'm with you mudd.  Oak strip flooring in LF's place.  Satin polyurethane finish.  Heart Pine at my place.  Satin polyurethane.  I have a Persian rug in my great room that was made in Iran in 1952.  Looks great bordered by the Pine.

When I was building my house in 1987 I sourced Heart Pine and it was very pricey.  A high school friend and builder told me about timbers being used to stack new lumber at the local lumber yard.  He needed 10" material for his customer and since he was married to the lumber yards owners daughter he convinced them to saw up the timbers.  He used all of the 10" stock and I bought the remaining 6" lumber.  So I did the entire house except for one bathroom.  It has been refinished once in thirty years.  Tough stuff!

https://www.timelesstimber.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MicroMara said:

Woke up this morning and saw this .......

Winter1.thumb.jpg.32596ade57561f74f8f84747fab0b107.jpg

Winter2.thumb.jpg.a51cb726217b5072e0a702d696929eb3.jpg

Winter3.thumb.jpg.f16334a6c76be768f1fbd844dacac671.jpg

Winter4.thumb.jpg.be0a7f465fba8d9b79585a1b5fe5eca5.jpg

well George, I thought Germany was more advanced ... we have color here in the USA.  Trees are green. Start a petition ... bring color to Germany.  the photos are very nice however. I like the view from the warmth of my living room with a roaring fire in the fireplace (or in the kitchen if I'm trying to cook). Peace!

• Haha 4

Mornin' all

off to a slow start...

How y'all are?

Another wintery day. Not cold  for time of day... not gonna get any better, though.... and there is wind and wet and it's 35ish. Too warm for snow, not by much and the forecast calls for 3 - 5in above 3500ft. It's 3700 in the bottom of the  valley.... down town...That's on the agenda for this evening. 

have a low fire in the stove... lot of coals. Thinking about throwing a pot of beans on it.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

with a roaring fire in the fireplace

I also have a beautiful fireplace in the music room, of course that is also in operation. I love the warmth of a fireplace and the play of the blazing fire. But equally I love the blazing fire of my mono tube amplifiers and hot they also get . LOL

Lagerfeuer.thumb.jpg.13dc2cce62763b8cab77b67754ab8024.jpg

• Like 8

On 1/13/2021 at 7:42 AM, grasshopper said:

Mornin' all

survived another b'day.  99   er..... 66

Was a quiet, uneventful day.  .Just what I wanted. "Celebrated" by cracking a bag of Kona coffee... and playing the wife's stereo.... at a near antisocial level. Worked hard Monday so I could do little or nothing yesterday. The extent of my activity was filling my bowl and coffee cup.

the R15M's went to their new home. 

@dtel

nice looking shed.  good job

On 1/13/2021 at 12:15 PM, MicroMara said:

@grasshopper  smilie_geb_120.gif 

I always knew you were a Capricorn and not a grasshopper. Then we have something in common on today's day and date, only that I am 7 years younger than you. Enjoy the day .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1