Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

4 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

Snow/cold temp stories?  Spent a week in it during Ohio's blizzard of '78.  Want some stories?  Neither do I but I've never seen anything like it and prolly never will again.  Did help a nurse who lived out in the country deliver her neighbor's baby, helped pop countless cars out of 10' drifts w/a tow truck,  checked on older people who's single story country homes were  almost drifted over and tons of other stuff.  Funny that so many people thought Army trucks had heaters in them.  hahahaha

This is from Mansfield about 25 minutes West.  Had enough cold & snow for the rest of my life that week.  

Funny to look back on it today.  Cabin Fever?  EVERYone had it and all I wanted to do was crawl in my nice warm bed!   Time to make some coffee and try to schedule my Covid vaccine!  Ugh! 

Thanks for sharing....brings back memories. I remember it well, that was my 15 birthday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, babadono said:

I was in D-E-E-E-T-R-O-I-T for that one. Funny yea we got snow but it kinda of went around us. Remember the news of many abandoning their cars on highways in New York.

And I already had LaScalas back then, that's whats important.

You were a young LS owner huh?

12 hours ago, grasshopper said:

I think I was in IN for that one, Dave. -25`F... Turned the heat down to 45` in the factories.... I was working at a trailer factory.... pneumatic tools don't work so well when the oil jells.

I got to michigan for the next winter ... got there in October 78.  that winter all of the Great Lakes froze shore to shore. I was working on an icebreaker on the lakes back then. 

some days and nights were so cold that we were only outside 10 minutes at a time. 

• Like 4

Have a friend that was a Coastie on the Great Lakes. Not sure when... but could have been in that time frame.

got to listen to the LS today. Wife has been home most of the week.Took a snow day and worked from home waiting for the snow to melt.   That's how we deal with snow... She went to the school today. I kicked back today. Do housework tomorrow.

have a Dr visit next week. Kinda frivolous with recreational mj...She does my medical mj .... but, I like visiting with her. 

made "pollo verde" for dinner. Quick and simple... My favorite

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thinking I was about 29 when that blizzard hit.  It sure was cold though!  

@grasshopper better be nice to her!  I lucked out today and got to schedule my covid vac for next Wednesday.  So now we have the African version to deal with too and "they" are saying we might have to take a booster shot for that too?  Ok, one Wednesday, another after that then a booster?  No problemo!  What's your Doc's name again?  😂

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

Have a friend that was a Coastie on the Great Lakes.

I know that guy!   well, hopefully you now have TWO friends that were coasties on the Great Lakes.  (hint, I'm the second).

Years ago, my brother was getting his medical mj card renewed in California ... he said the doctor literally fell asleep during the appointment. He had to wake him up. 

just watched a tv show yesterday by some millionaire named Marcus lemons.  this episode was about the marijuana business in Colorado.  pretty interesting. this one cat that is a guy that is really good at growing the stuff mentioned that with all the labor involved it costs about $350 to bring a plant to fruition; but each of those plants bring in $1700.  This other segment was this lady that specializes in edibles. A pound of shake costs $100; but she says she can make 1000 edibles that sell for $10 each. 

the guy that invented Blue Moon beer was on the show ... he makes a THC beer.   I guess legally (he says) you can't mix alcohol and marijuana, so the beer is non-alcoholic. He's getting by some of the laws by shipping the stuff to California and having it bottled there. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 1/28/2021 at 4:53 AM, CECAA850 said:

Biggest problem we'd have was when it snowed.  You'd park your warm car for the night and the first snow that hit it would melt and run down the sides.  It inevitably would get on and in the door lock cylinder and you couldn't put your key in to unlock the door.  This was prior to keyless entry naturally.   Depending on the amount of snow/ice you had sometimes you could get the cylinder thawed out enough to unlock the door but the door itself would be frozen to the body.  Good times.

To keep moisture out of the door locks, a good lubricant helps.  I use Bel-Ray motorcycle chain lube.  It’s grease in a volatile carrier.  This lets it get right into the lock, then in about 5 to 10 minutes, the carrier evaporates, leaving the grease throughout the lock.  I insert the key several times, wiping it off every time I take it out, then the lock is good for at least a couple of years.  I also use it on my apartment entry locks, because they develop stiffness after a few years.

As for penetrants like WD-40, GM specifically states that you should not use penetrants in their locks, because it washes out the manufacturer-installed grease, causing the locks to eventually seize up.  Unless you regularly apply WD-40, I suppose.

As for the door freezing shut, that’s something that occasionally occurs when you have freezing rain, the kind that can leave everything coated with a shell of ice.  Even less obvious ice deposits can make the door freeze to the carbody.  Hauling on the door handle like a circus strongman can result in breaking the lock or the handle, and the door may still be frozen.  Or, you can get the door open, but the door gasket was still attached, and half of it gets torn away.  That will be over $100, for sure.

The best trick to keep your door from freezing shut is to spray the door gasket with WD-40 or some other penetrant that does not attack rubber, before the ice storm, of course.  You’ll want to use a piece of cardboard or the like to avoid overspray.  I was told that the WD keeps the moisture off the rubber, so it won’t stick to the carbody.  I can’t remember if I ever tried it, but it makes total sense to me.

2 hours ago, Islander said:

To keep moisture out of the door locks, a good lubricant helps.  I use Bel-Ray motorcycle chain lube.  It’s grease in a volatile carrier.  This lets it get right into the lock, then in about 5 to 10 minutes, the carrier evaporates, leaving the grease throughout the lock.  I insert the key several times, wiping it off every time I take it out, then the lock is good for at least a couple of years.  I also use it on my apartment entry locks, because they develop stiffness after a few years.

As for penetrants like WD-40, GM specifically states that you should not use penetrants in their locks, because it washes out the manufacturer-installed grease, causing the locks to eventually seize up.  Unless you regularly apply WD-40, I suppose.

As for the door freezing shut, that’s something that occasionally occurs when you have freezing rain, the kind that can leave everything coated with a shell of ice.  Even less obvious ice deposits can make the door freeze to the carbody.  Hauling on the door handle like a circus strongman can result in breaking the lock or the handle, and the door may still be frozen.  Or, you can get the door open, but the door gasket was still attached, and half of it gets torn away.  That will be over $100, for sure.

The best trick to keep your door from freezing shut is to spray the door gasket with WD-40 or some other penetrant that does not attack rubber, before the ice storm, of course.  You’ll want to use a piece of cardboard or the like to avoid overspray.  I was told that the WD keeps the moisture off the rubber, so it won’t stick to the carbody.  I can’t remember if I ever tried it, but it makes total sense to me.

I dont worry about it anymore as I'm in southeast TX now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Rarely a problem here, either.  It gets cold enough, fairly often... just nothing to freeze.

ya know that the "WD" in WD-40 stands for water displacement? Or, at least, that's the story I was told

How's everyone today?

My knee is about OK, but... ya knew... my back is knackered from favoring my leg. The ol' familiar feeling of a horse kicking me in the can.

Should go to the lake. I think sitting and nursing things is more detrimental than good in this case. I thought about it yesterday. It wasn't terrible cold... we did have wind. I bet there were white caps on the lake/pond.  It was blowing a steady 20 with gusts to 35...

Had to do a little work on my chainsaw. Got a piece of baling twine [that poly stuff] stuck in between the chain and the piece I was cutting.  Playing tug-o-war getting the saw out of the wood, I popped a linkage to the kill. I hate working on chainsaws... they are dirty nasty things, if they have been used at all. Ya have to dig thru oily sawdust to find fasteners, unless you spend an hour cleaning the saw first... Had to resort to google to see what went where. A 5 min fix after cleaning it enough to see things...

• Like 2

Got the grands last night and I'm grounded til after lunch then I'm taking them bowling.  Pizza last nite and bowling today $50.  That's AFTER I make breakfast.  Sausage, choc chip pancakes w/strawberries and whipped cream.  I'm sure that's not happening until after I get some coffee down.  In the meantime it's Nicktunes and constant bickering between the two while they sit and play their electronics, which drive me insane.  Yea, it'll sort at some point after I fish a charge cord out from under the couch.  😂

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

bowling today $50. 

perhaps why I don't get my shoes and ball out, unless there is money involved... lol

The league pots in HI were crazy...... $500/game if you swept the pot. I had never seen people who liked to gamble until I went there.....Well, the Aussies do to... I was sitting in a pub and we were betting drinks on what commercial was gonna come on the tv next...

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Islander said:

I was told that the WD keeps the moisture off the rubber, so it won’t stick to the carbody.  I can’t remember if I ever tried it, but it makes total sense to me.

WD 40 Lubricates but only for a short while then dries fast and it removes any other lubricant , the worst thing for a lock in cold - celcius wheather  is WD 40  ----The best is simply motor OIL , the   thicker the better  ,  or synthetic oil , or sewing machine oil - even ATF    and even in -50 celcius wheather , that's what we use , apply every 3 months and forget it  -

• Like 2