Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

13 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Thanks dtel.  It's so frustrating when Jake watches us eat and then turns down our food and his.  He goes in for an ultrasound on Saturday so we are hoping for the best. 

Looks like a good time at Rodney's!

70559791_2631491026860966_7766604840418934784_n.jpg

Go JAKE go  ------if only he could speak --

14 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Thanks dtel.  It's so frustrating when Jake watches us eat and then turns down our food and his.  He goes in for an ultrasound on Saturday so we are hoping for the best. 

Looks like a good time at Rodney's!

70559791_2631491026860966_7766604840418934784_n.jpg

Jake looks happy, cute pup.

12 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

not on everything ... just all meat, all potatoes, all pasta, and rice. 

Rice?

7 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

I've learned that no matter how good you think you are at something, there is always someone that is better. I used to bowl a lot and was pretty good. then one day I'm talking to this friend and found out that he has bowled 13 perfect games and he showed me one of the rings that was engraved to show that it was the 13th award. Guess telling him that I averaged over 200 wasn't that impressive.  

there was this guy that I went to high school with that was an incredible and I mean incredible guitar player -- I didn't know it. we just goofed around in English class never talked about music. Anyway, now adults, I was hanging out at this rock bands house and a mutual friend brings this guy over. I hadn't seen him since school and was surprised at how good he was on the guitar; but suddenly one of the guys in the band drags me into the kitchen and says "did you bring him over just to show us up?"  I told him that one, I didn't bring him over and two, I didn't know he could play the guitar until that very night.  Sad ending to that story, a few years ago, I tried to find this guy again. He had started hanging out at my house for a while; but then I did what I do best ... moved away. So, I'm trying to find this guy and found out that he died 10 years ago. He died when he in his 40s. I was never one for doing a good job at keeping in touch with people; but it sure is tough when you decide to find an old friend and learn that they're dead -- has happened twice to me.

I met my current wife 15 years ago, she was 33, and had never been to a funeral. I have a huge family, and so did both of my parents, so there were a lot of funerals.

But I have noticed within the last 3 years, I've lost 6-7 friends, all my age. Some I hadn't seen in 6 years, but some I saw maybe once a year. I do hate those conversations with an old friend...hey remember so and so? He passed away last year.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

I've learned that no matter how good you think you are at something, there is always someone that is better. I used to bowl a lot and was pretty good. then one day I'm talking to this friend and found out that he has bowled 13 perfect games and he showed me one of the rings that was engraved to show that it was the 13th award. Guess telling him that I averaged over 200 wasn't that impressive.  

there was this guy that I went to high school with that was an incredible and I mean incredible guitar player -- I didn't know it. we just goofed around in English class never talked about music. Anyway, now adults, I was hanging out at this rock bands house and a mutual friend brings this guy over. I hadn't seen him since school and was surprised at how good he was on the guitar; but suddenly one of the guys in the band drags me into the kitchen and says "did you bring him over just to show us up?"  I told him that one, I didn't bring him over and two, I didn't know he could play the guitar until that very night.  Sad ending to that story, a few years ago, I tried to find this guy again. He had started hanging out at my house for a while; but then I did what I do best ... moved away. So, I'm trying to find this guy and found out that he died 10 years ago. He died when he in his 40s. I was never one for doing a good job at keeping in touch with people; but it sure is tough when you decide to find an old friend and learn that they're dead -- has happened twice to me.

I was together with some long time friends out in the country sitting by the bonfire. We started to toast the friends we have lost. By the time we were done, the bottles were empty and we were toast. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, grasshopper said:

One sign cracked me up...

... it was to tell you that you passed the emergency phone 500m back.  serious

If you were stranded without a cellphone, wouldn’t you want to know the nearest emergency phone phone was 500m behind you, rather than walking several times that distance to the next one ahead of you?

• Like 1

Oy Mates,  I see things are quite active and rowdy on this forum since my post yesterday.  I had an Aussie girlfriend for a time.  Two months into our relationship, I could no longer hear her accent.  I found that interesting as I had a girlfriend from England for over 5 years and she always sounded English to me. 😀 I agree with Grasshopper, there should have been a sign, which I'm assuming there was not,  at the phone as well as the one down the road, unless of course it was missed. 

• Like 2

Back in 2000, my dad and I flew over to Ireland to visit family and some of Dad’s old friends.  The first day we were there, I was helping Dad find the phone numbers of some of his old friends, including ones he hadn’t heard from in a long time.

He was a bit worried when he asked me, “What if I call them, but they’re dead?”

I told him, “Don’t worry about it.  If they’re dead, they won’t answer.”  

While that didn’t totally calm his nerves, he couldn’t argue with the logic of it, so he didn’t have anything more to say.

• Haha 4

On 2/9/2021 at 7:01 AM, Shiva said:

Those down under cope with slightly different scenarios than we in the the States.  

Koala causes 6 car pile up.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9235569/Adelaide-Huge-koala-crawls-drivers-seat-causing-multi-car-pile-up.html 

39016084-9235569-image-a-14_1612771874619.jpg

Not used to driving on the wrong side of the road?

• Haha 5

On 2/9/2021 at 6:27 AM, Ceptorman said:

I do hate those conversations with an old friend...hey remember so and so? He passed away last year.

Getting old ain't for sissies. I've got a few years yet until I'm old enough to run for President apparently:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

A couple more years and a lobotomy and you're a shoe in.

I better get busy, I've got a lot of no accomplishments and plagiarizing  to get done first:)

But you know me...I'd rather have a free bottle in front of me than a pre-frontal lobotomy.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, grasshopper said:

they do have some unique problems...

when I was there

saw some interesting road signage. We have deer crossings --- they have kangaroo and wombats.   

One sign cracked me up...

... it was to tell you that you passed the emergency phone 500m back.  serious

A sign that told you a phone was five hundred meters behind you? What's that < a quarter mile?

grumble centi grumble grumble hecta da+n liters, and then kilos?

Oh I got it.... kilos of dried greenery are very nice! I did learn metrics but it was after school!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Two BIG earthquakes east of AU.

Tsunami warnings out, Good Luck to @Full Range & all possibly affected!

* I'm four hours behind on that just opened the news folder and saw that without looking at the darn timestamp on it!

Edited by JohnJ
* slow, too slow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1