Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

15 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

you ever miss your military days Mike?  I do.  Like everyone else I whined a lot at some of the crappola; but I wish I had realized just how much fun I was having. Give me my 18 year old body and I'd do it all again. Personally, I loved the mid-watch ... I was always night guy. Plus, what a lot these forum members don't get is the joy of mid-rats!  Peace brother and stay safe there in Texas. 

I sometimes miss the 70's early 80's but not so much late 80's on. I don't be politically correct. In the life after I spend a good deal of time around the military and I know that I wouldn't last 5 minutes with current generation...individuals are still pretty much the same as humans when one on one but the institution is letting the country down. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, USNRET said:

I sometimes miss the 70's early 80's but not so much late 80's on. I don't be politically correct. In the life after I spend a good deal of time around the military and I know that I wouldn't last 5 minutes with current generation...individuals are still pretty much the same as humans when one on one but the institution is letting the country down. 

completely agree.  I joined in 1978 -- I was 17.  totally different environment than when I left. the stuff they did and said to us in boot camp would never fly now with these delicate types.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

completely agree.  I joined in 1978 -- I was 17.  totally different environment than when I left. the stuff they did and said to us in boot camp would never fly now with these delicate types.

yeah but today you can pretend to be a woman in Biden's army and they will supply you with falsies.

Raining cats and dogs here.  Expecting 2-4 inches more of the wet stuff before clearing on Tuesday.  Speaking of dogs....just finished chasing Jake around the house to get his medication.  Half a pill in a dab of peanut butter on the roof of his mouth.  Tires us both out.

Off to the Vet at 9am for an ultrasound......wish us luck gents.  I admit I'm as nervous as a long tail cat on a porch full of rockers.

• Like 8

you all are up late or early.... I got out of bed at 4. Pretty normal time.

Sitting in the doghouse, listening to some music and drinking a cup of coffee... yeah, I know  ... A CUP?  I had 2 before I came out here...

I'm playing chicken with my wood pile....we have a week of cool weather and maybe/almost have enough wood to last. Low 60's all next week... then 80's starting Friday.... I may take the Olds out and fill the trunk. That will make my back happy --- then, anything I do or don't does that...

Sounds like both of you could use a Valium... lol. Best to you and Jake.

We have ear mite meds for the cats... try squirting stuff in a cat's ears.... you might get one ear.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

my fear is that ice will build up on power lines and suddenly I'll be without power.  If you want to see cry baby, watch me when the power goes out. In five minutes, I'm going nuts. 

Get a small generator, it will power some basic stuff.

12 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Yes we have.  Maybe every couple years.  We had an ice storm in 97 and had no power for 3 days.   Were better off being able to cope with it now than we were then.

It snowed in San Antonio a couple weeks ago.

2 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Raining cats and dogs here.  Expecting 2-4 inches more of the wet stuff before clearing on Tuesday.  Speaking of dogs....just finished chasing Jake around the house to get his medication.  Half a pill in a dab of peanut butter on the roof of his mouth.  Tires us both out.

Off to the Vet at 9am for an ultrasound......wish us luck gents.  I admit I'm as nervous as a long tail cat on a porch full of rockers.

Good luck Jake, your dad is worried about you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

lowest temps I've ever experienced were in the negative 30s.  worked on an ice breaker and had to respond to a SAR call (search and rescue) for a boat that had ice build up so bad that it was capsizing. Now, our boat was not built for speed and it took us about 12 hours to get on scene. thankfully, the crew had abandoned ship and literally walked away from the disabled vessel. 

I remember the hospital corpsman giving us a half shot of brandy due to the cold weather. Of course, I gladly accepted the allotment from those that didn't drink. Booze is not authorized on Coast Guard boats. 

I experienced -50 temp once snowmobiling in northern Wisconsin around 1998. It wasn't much fun.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

lowest temps I've ever experienced were in the negative 30s.  worked on an ice breaker and had to respond to a SAR call (search and rescue) for a boat that had ice build up so bad that it was capsizing. Now, our boat was not built for speed and it took us about 12 hours to get on scene. thankfully, the crew had abandoned ship and literally walked away from the disabled vessel. 

I remember the hospital corpsman giving us a half shot of brandy due to the cold weather. Of course, I gladly accepted the allotment from those that didn't drink. Booze is not authorized on Coast Guard boats. 

I experienced -50 temp once snowmobiling in northern Wisconsin around 1998. It wasn't much fun. We had 3 new vehicles and none started.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

my fear is that ice will build up on power lines and suddenly I'll be without power.  If you want to see cry baby, watch me when the power goes out. In five minutes, I'm going nuts. 

if your power transmission line is underground , most likely , you should not worry so much , but if there are wooden poles that feed the power to your building , yeah ,  you can worry a bit -

• Like 2

Ultrasound yielded not such good news.  Pancreatitis, liver disease, gall stones.  Some nodes would need biopsy to determine the need for surgery.  At twelve years old we are not likely to take that route.  The liver can regenerate but with Jake the nodes are on all three globes.  Extra thickness of the stomach lining likely contributes to loss of appetite. So steroids and antibiotics for now.

Wish the news was better.........

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 7