Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators

Funny thing about that week in Washington was we walked from our hotel to all of the Smithsonian's and it was miles. After a few days we were talking with someone and told them about the long walks and we were getting tired. The laughed and asked why didn't you take the subway ? We said subway, they said yes when you walk out the front doors of the hotel  and turn left and on the corner there are stairs going down to the subway and you can ride cheap. Well we felt really stupid but never stopped to read the signs we just looked at our map to get where we wanted and started walking and sightseeing. 

We walked many miles that week but the good part was about the only thing we missed was the subway. 

For all of the monuments we were on tour busses which was nice because they pull up to the best parking spots.

We were tired after walking many miles  for days and we got on a tour bus to Arlington cementery,  we noticed our tour guide was an old lady about 80 years old, we said good thing were tired of walking. Turned out this old lady almost walked everyone to death, she was a tough old bird.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, dtel said:

Yes it is something to see, and yes to the Vietnam veterans memorial, very sad, and to watch people copying the names of people they knew with pencil as they were crying. So many names.

When powerful old men want to settle a disagreement, they send thousands, sometimes millions, of powerless young men to speak for them with guns.  The first old man to run out of guns and young men has to say Uncle.  See how civilized we are?

WAR!  WHAT IS IT GOOD FOR?

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

SAY IT AGAIN!

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Islander said:

When powerful old men want to settle a disagreement, they send thousands, sometimes millions, of powerless young men to speak for them with guns.  The first old man to run out of guns and young men has to say Uncle.  See how civilized we are?

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

SAY IT AGAIN!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Ive never been to Mardi Gras, always wanted to. It's on my list of things most Americans should do once in their life.....visit Mardi Gras, Indy 500, Kentucky Derby....what would you add to the list?

My daughter went to New Orleans when she was in her late twenties or early thirties.  She brought me back a VooDoo doll fridge magnet. Of course, it has no power, it’s just a knick-knack for tourists, but above it I placed a Pope John Paul II fridge magnet from his 1984 tour.  Just in case.

She didn’t say much about the trip, and I didn’t ask.  Just in case.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

I have a 1985 Yamaha V-Max with over $27,000 in modifications. Performance wise she has 39mm Kehin Flat slide race carbs and an aftermarket intake manifold with chrome velocity stacks, a 50 HP shot of direct port nitrous, an air shifter, an aftermarket ignition box with retard for the nitrous, aftermarket hotter coils, 8.5 mm MSD wires, aftermarket polished stainless UFO 4 into two headers and mufflers, worked tranny, an air shifter, a 3 inch over braced and chromed rear swing arm, Billet Aluminum rims with a 200 rear tire, shocks and springs are lowered 23 inches, seat is lowered 1.5 inches, she has R-1 Front chromed billet brake calipers and EBC brake pads at all 3 locations, rear brake rotor has been enlarged to same size as the front two. Custom Rotors all around, and a $500 steering  assist adjustable shock. Front forks have aftermarket springs and gold emulators and has aftermarket shorter rear shocks as well. :D

Shocks and springs are lowered 23 inches?  Sounds like it could limbo low, lower, lowest, mon.

Seriously, though, what does it do in the quarter?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Daytona Bike Week mid 90s.

Beachside shook and vibrated for about ten days or longer each year!

Made new friends on my back porch leaving at 5am several times:dry:

-n-- retentive huns ruined it harassing good folks, then it spread out from New Smyrna to St. Augustine. Wasn't the same through when  I left in `03.

Wasn't bad in the 80s either.  Ever been in the Boot Hill Saloon?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tarheel said:

Holding out okay young fella?  Frozen pipes?

Pipes are fine, I was prepared.  Unfortunately, many weren't.  Broken pipes around the city have reduced pressure to a trickle and we have a boil ban in place.  Overall, we're fine, thanks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Wasn't bad in the 80s either.  Ever been in the Boot Hill Saloon?

Lived near there (Speedway Dr., beachside) when I'd find folks asleep on my porch in the morning!

Took forever to get a darn matchstick to adhere to the ceiling though. Didn't even sip bourbon at all back then so my hours were spent watching my family get loaded and driving them all home!

Now got a heavy leather jacket custom made down the street from there, it's come in handy to keep my dry lately. A block or two east of Boot Hill were where the sausage and peppers were grilled every year with bands behind them.

Cabbage Patch? Saw the CDB there one Fourth of July, at bike week that and the drag strip across the street were packed! Or the saloon with the big cage wheels the bikers rode inside of on the north side of town? Forgot the name of that one. The Gilleys they opened down south in NS became an epicenter of sorts after "they" started the harassment of the loud and the topless. Then it went all the way to Flagler & St. Augustine.

Good Memories... my vest with the buttons is packed away, when I'm settled again I'll get a pic up here.

• Like 2

Still raining over there @Tarheel ?

Depending on where I look that NWS warning went belly up yet again.

We've got either 31 or 33 and lots of rain this morning, glad the big trees left here have healthy roots. Most of those have already toppled in the last decade since that real bad `87 drought.

Some folks never water their trees when the drought restrictions are in effect. I think those big trees are more dangerous to my life and property that the grass could ever be!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Overall, we're fine, thanks.

great news -but bad news is climate change has reached Texas ---get ready ---we get snow 30 -days  earlier than 10 years ago -45  days earlier than 20 years ago-

Just now, RandyH000 said:

great news -but bad news is climate change has reached Texas ---get ready ---we get winter 30 -days  earlier than 10 years ago -45  days earlier than 20 years ago-

Can't worry about the weather.  It's gonna do what it's gonna do.  Those that think they can change it are a special kind of stupid.

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Islander said:

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

SAY IT AGAIN!

Cool song

12 hours ago, Islander said:

My daughter went to New Orleans when she was in her late twenties or early thirties.  She brought me back a VooDoo doll fridge magnet. Of course, it has no power, it’s just a knick-knack for tourists,

So the magnet didn't stick, so no magical powers at all. The other magnet can't hurt, better to be safe. 

There may be something to VooDoo but you wouldn't fine it in the tourist areas that's for sure. I don't mess with any of that I have good luck and don't want that to change, I cause myself enough problems already.  :lol:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dtel said:

Cool song

So the magnet didn't stick, so no magical powers at all. The other magnet can't hurt, better to be safe. 

There may be something to VooDoo but you wouldn't fine it in the tourist areas that's for sure. I don't mess with any of that I have good luck and don't want that to change, I cause myself enough problems already.  :lol:

I was in the basement and my wife yelled down the stairs, "do you feel a sharp pain in your back like someone is stabbing you?" I told her no. A short time later, she said "How about now?!?!"  Should I be scared?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3