Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

42 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

you're telling me.  I have one of those expensive adjustable beds.  I think the power cord is shorting out and when I unplugged it, one of the prongs was very hot. 

So, I contact Mattress Firm and they tell me that it is covered under warranty and gave me the contact info for the warranty folks. they denied my claim without even speaking to me. 

So, now I'm back trying to see if the store will sell me a replacement cord. 

I know it's the cord because I charged my laptop using that same outlet and having it plugged in for over an hour, the computer cord didn't get warm at all. 

So I think for several days, I'll be sleeping at a steep incline because I don't trust that cord ... it got very hot after plugging it in for less than one minute. 

as Rosanne Rosanna-Dana used to say, "That goes to show you, it's always something."

Just get a replacement plug for the end of the cord.  Theyre a couple bucks but require the use of a screwdriver and wire cutter.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

with me, it's either full bore or all stop.  same thing when I cook, my brother is always telling me to turn down the heat. when I turn on the faucet, it's full blast (then I get mad when water splashes all over).  when I was married, my wife would always get mad because I would close all jars and lids too tight. Guys like me and Andre the Giant are cursed with an abundance of natural strength.  it's hard to control Richie ... it's a blessing and a curse. 

I understand your pain. It’s not easy being a mans man - 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

you're telling me.  I have one of those expensive adjustable beds.  I think the power cord is shorting out and when I unplugged it, one of the prongs was very hot. 

So, I contact Mattress Firm and they tell me that it is covered under warranty and gave me the contact info for the warranty folks. they denied my claim without even speaking to me. 

So, now I'm back trying to see if the store will sell me a replacement cord. 

what does the cord look like  on the end that's getting hot ----take a picture - 

• Like 1

Mornin' All

You folks in TX OK?

By the forecast, looks like winter is over for us.  A week of 60` high is enough winter for me.  Temp jumps 10` today and 10` more tomorrow. That should thaw TX.... enough to see water lines that burst with the cold... Feel sorry for y'all.

We are at a near crisis level of coffee beans.  A trip to the store or roaster will be in order before tomorrow AM.

Time for me to start softening some ground for a garden. Anyone have any dynamite?

• Like 2

It's still 22F in the DFW area now (Friday 9 am).  We should see temps above freezing - mid30's - for a few hours today.  Starting tomorrow the warm up begins, with Mon-Wed in the 60's.  When the thaw starts, the work will begin. Hoping for no burst pipes in the house.

38 minutes ago, Seadog said:

Hoping for no burst pipes in the house.

is your main water supply  from  the street frozen ---if yes and you can shut the main valve of water that feeds the house -------shut it   ---

- if there is no such valve ,  and you can have access to the main water pipe  -----install a shut off valve    -----shutting the water will avoid bursting the pipes  ,when it's back to normal -  open the valve , gradually -

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Fingers crossed for you.  Wish I was closer to help if necessary.

Thanks, fingers and toes crossed here!

I suspect the pipes in the house will be OK.  The outdoor spigots on the sides of the house were covered but I need to keep an eye on those when they thaw.  Pool equipment and plumbing is shot.  The ice sheet on the pool is 2" in the thinnest spots. I cannot even hack through the thick areas with an axe.  Probably could have skated LOL.

55 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

is your main water supply  from  the street frozen ---if yes and you can shut the main valve of water that feeds the house -------shut it   ---

- if there is no such valve ,  and you can have access to the main water pipe  -----install a shut off valve  to avoid  water rushing into blocked pipes  -----shutting the water will avoid bursting the pipes  ,when it's back to normal -  open the valve , very slowly -

38 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

You won't know if you have a leak until it thaws. Leave the valve on if you're there, water under pressure has more resistance to freezing, but you don't want to be away when it thaws.

I left the water on at the meter near the road, and allowed the indoor faucets to drip throughout the great freeze.  I do have the t-handle handy just in case I need to shut of the valve!