Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

2 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

he  can  apply  electrical current   to the pipe using a generator or home electricity , that can unfreeze it over a few hours -

We always use portable welders here to thaw street to house copper water lines. Put your T handle in the street side valve. Attach ground cable from

DC welder. Run cable to basement water line coming into house. REMOVE the house ground wire from the waterline, clip on the + side of welder and give it some DC juice.

Open a nearby tap a bit and wait.

One time we used 2 300 Amp Lincolns and it still took hours but it always worked.

I wouldn't recommend AC power.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NADman said:

We always use portable welders here to thaw street to house copper water lines

--yep -works every time , if it  works in minus 50 weather -Texas pipes  would not take very long to thaw , with welders --

On 2/18/2021 at 4:04 PM, twistedcrankcammer said:

I had downloaded all my pics of when she was at Jon Cornels shop onto the VMOA Technical sight but I can't remember my password and don't even know if the sight still exists. Jon Cornel who did my bike died of lung cancer. I will ask his wife if she still has any. The bike is out sitting in my kids play house and needs fininshed. zero miles since I had all the work done and just sits since my buddy died.

Rog

Sorry to hear about your buddy, but it's a shame to let your bike and his work sit. Sounds like a monster of a machine, those were pretty cool bikes even stock. I love V4 motorcycles, they have a wonderful sound. Soichiro Honda sure loved V-4s.

I kinda feel that way too, Bill

Was always told, water and electricity were a bad mix. 

However you folks thaw your pipes... Sure glad it's not my pipes frozen. Best to y'all

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Gonna be a nice day for something... anyone remember the Checkered Demon?......just checking

80`, sunny and a little air moving. Not going to the lake. Too many people out there on weekends. Might go "downtown" this AM...We have a bit of a street market. Local produce, odds and end swap meet stuff.. See if there is anything I might be able to use.

Finished column #7 yesterday.  One more to go.  ..that quarter of the property is almost rock free. Unimproved property, on this hilltop, is covered with loose rock.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

Two hours into the day and no coffee yet?  That's going to change NOW!

If you're a coffee nut (I'm not)....  my wife has one of these and absolutely loves it.  Additionally, most that she shares it with also like it.

JURA Coffee Machines: Latte Macchiato, Cappuccino, Espresso and Coffee - JURA USA

Evidently they put the grounds into an internal 'cup' and push the water through under pressure.  When it's done the grounds, now in the shape of a puck, get ejected into an internal receiver that you empty out every now & then.

She had a gal-pal that she got it from.  She was at her friends  house (who's got more money than sense) and the gal said it didn't work.....so did Marion think she (gal pal) should just take it down to the trash can???  Marion said "I'll take it if that's what  you're going to do....  Richard can probably fix it"

So she brought it home, I took it apart (interesting plumbing on the inside) and the short story is the water pump had sprung a leak.  Ordered a new one for about $100 and it's up & running again (gal pal simply bought a new one)

Marion's had it now for gosh....  6-8 years and it's still going strong.  Having that cup is her glowing point of every day.

I've never had it but from those who have, it's a good maker.

Me???  I'll pop the top of my Coke, thank you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

How would one do this without getting shocked, isn't this dangerous?

Bill -  no , it's  very safe 

it's the only way to thaw underground   frozen pipes in  minus  30-40-50 or lower temperatures ----we  use ,  Generators  , or welders -

this method is perfect to thaw the pipes rapidly  ,  before the cold damages the pipes and require excavation in very cold weather  -

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

Bill -  no , it's  very safe 

it's the only way to thaw underground   frozen pipes in  minus  30-40-50 or lower temperatures ----we  use ,  Generators  , or welders -

this method is perfect to thaw the pipes rapidly  ,  before the cold damages the pipes and require excavation in very cold weather  -

So to dumb it down to my level......you're essentially attaching one electrode to one end.....the other electrode to the other end and turning it into a giant heating element?

I'd never heard of this (but not surprising given my electrical chops......or lack thereof)

Certainly better to save the pipe if you can because as you say, once it's burst, it's a lot more work to find/fix.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

I will still leave it to  the professionals

nah  , they actually make things a lot worse , I take my welder right to the pipe  - the moment it drips  , I boost the power  --voila

• Like 2