Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

so my brother just gets an email from PayPal saying that he authorized an $1100 purchase via some online shopping place. he calls PayPal and says that he did NOT purchase anything. Some place called Wish.com or something like that. so he notifies them and they give him the address where the stuff is supposed to be shipped to.  He told both places to put a stop to this purchase.  it hasn't hit his bank acct and is 'pending."  I hope he doesn't get screwed out the cash.  Disability doesn't pay enough for him to shrug off a grand.

the scary part is wondering how these people got his PayPal info to authorize a purchase. he's not reckless so this is perplexing. he's already changed his password. 

not even sure how this happens, I wonder if he purchased something from a vendor that had been compromised or would it be PayPal that was compromised?  

I hate computer crime. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

so my brother just gets an email from PayPal saying that he authorized an $1100 purchase via some online shopping place. he calls PayPal and says that he did NOT purchase anything. Some place called Wish.com or something like that. so he notifies them and they give him the address where the stuff is supposed to be shipped to.  He told both places to put a stop to this purchase.  it hasn't hit his bank acct and is 'pending."  I hope he doesn't get screwed out the cash.  Disability doesn't pay enough for him to shrug off a grand.

the scary part is wondering how these people got his PayPal info to authorize a purchase. he's not reckless so this is perplexing. he's already changed his password. 

not even sure how this happens, I wonder if he purchased something from a vendor that had been compromised or would it be PayPal that was compromised?  

I hate computer crime. 

Did the e-mail supply the number to call?

Has he actually gone to his pay pal account and see the pending charge there?

29 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Did the e-mail supply the number to call?

Has he actually gone to his pay pal account and see the pending charge there?

he talked to PayPal; but not sure if he got the number from the email.

yes, the charges are pending according to his account. 

I suspect the vendor was compromised. he said he had purchased an $8 item from that vendor and from their website, there is an option to pay via PayPal and when you select that method, you're redirected to PayPal.  I suppose much like the skimmers at the gas station, when he was redirected to PayPal, the crooks were getting the information too. 

fortunately, the items haven't shipped yet because the charges are still pending, so it should be easy for them to just cancel the sale completely. 

while the vendor gave my brother the address where the items were to be shipped, I doubt that they or PayPal will do anything since this was caught before anyone lost anything other than time and the stress of knowing that someone hacked your account. 

** just asked him, he went to PayPal website himself and got their contact info, so he was talking to the real PayPal.  

5 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

he talked to PayPal; but not sure if he got the number from the email.

yes, the charges are pending according to his account. 

I suspect the vendor was compromised. he said he had purchased an $8 item from that vendor and from their website, there is an option to pay via PayPal and when you select that method, you're redirected to PayPal.  I suppose much like the skimmers at the gas station, when he was redirected to PayPal, the crooks were getting the information too. 

fortunately, the items haven't shipped yet because the charges are still pending, so it should be easy for them to just cancel the sale completely. 

while the vendor gave my brother the address where the items were to be shipped, I doubt that they or PayPal will do anything since this was caught before anyone lost anything other than time and the stress of knowing that someone hacked your account. 

** just asked him, he went to PayPal website himself and got their contact info, so he was talking to the real PayPal.  

OK, good.  I get things all the time that try to direct me to pay pal or amazon and it's not really them.

• Like 2

before you guys start bequeathing your speakers to each other just remember I love you all and I've never had a birthday party in my life. when you've finished crying, please write me into your wills.  oh, who am I kidding, the life that I've lived, I'll be dead long before you cats. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm getting no respect anymore.  the grocery store that I use has their own gas station and you get fuel points for every purchase. 100 fuel points equals 10 cents per gallon discount at the pump.  Maximum is $1 per gallon off. 

So, I just noticed that I got gas about two weeks ago. According to their website, I redeemed 700 fuel points and received a 24 cent discount.  My brother checked his account there and when he got fuel he saved $9.

I think they're mad at me for telling them to notify my personal shopper to stop putting dented cans in my order. I'm OCD and I don't like dented canned goods. Some of these cans look like they kicked them down the street first. Then I tried to buy some tamales and they weren't available for pick-up and required an In-Store purchase only.  So, I asked them why (they didn't answer me).  Maybe I'm officially "get off my lawn" guy?  Historically, I wouldn't question things like this. So maybe they're mad at me or you guys have been talking.

• Haha 1