Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

13 minutes ago, babadono said:

@BigStewMan

Sweetwater?

yes.  great company to do business with.  they just told me that they have an open box one that they'll knock 10% off the price and they'll ship it now.  I told them that as long as there are no major blemishes then that is acceptable; but if it has noticeable flaws then I'll wait for one fresh from the factory. 

also picked up a new VOX headphone amp and cord since all of my stuff is either in storage or still in boxes and there is no way that I'm digging through boxes for a $50 headphone amp and a $15 cord.

10 minutes ago, babadono said:

Just perused a couple vids on Reverb with Peter F. Yes his "black beauty" has 3 pickups. What's that third pickup for? As you can tell I know nothing. But I'm all 👂

Bridge, Middle, and Neck pickups.  Middle is a matter of taste, there are some that do not like the tone of a middle pickup. 

was Framptom's black beauty the one that a fan gifted to him a long time ago?  There is a fan of his that didn't like his guitar and "loaned" it to Frampton when he met him. Peter loved the guitar and the fan gave it to him. He still has it as far as I know and uses it often. 

Yes he tells the story in the vid I watched. That beauty's been through it. Survived a plane crash etc....part of it melted from jet fuel? or the flames/heat? or the foam they put fires out with?

so 3 pickups but still the same switch and only 2 volume and tone controls?

👂👂👂

29 minutes ago, babadono said:

Yes he tells the story in the vid I watched. That beauty's been through it. Survived a plane crash etc....part of it melted from jet fuel? or the flames/heat? or the foam they put fires out with?

so 3 pickups but still the same switch and only 2 volume and tone controls?

👂👂👂

to be honest, I don't really like the look with the third pickup. I think it probably has a push/pull pot where you can adjust the middle pickup to blend with the others.  using just the middle is done by some; but not as common. 

My Strat has three pickups and a five way switch.  Fender has a nice diagram to explain it. 

https://www.fender.com/articles/tech-talk/sounds-aplenty-the-stratocaster-pickup-selector-switch

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

here's a closer up photo ...

0d373f-xc_LPCS19EBNH.jpg

Very nice. I'll bet you will love it. There are so many combinations with all the split coil and pickup versions, not to mention what your amp might do. Do you have any foot pedals? A classic wah cry baby pedal does wonders.

1 hour ago, babadono said:

Just perused a couple vids on Reverb with Peter F. Yes his "black beauty" has 3 pickups. What's that third pickup for? As you can tell I know nothing. But I'm all 👂

He probably has a bunch of custom pickups and electronics. Jimmy Page was always on the edge of guitar electronics and effects. Page had all of Gibson at his knees.

10 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Very nice. I'll bet you will love it. There are so many combinations with all the split coil and pickup versions, not to mention what your amp might do. Do you have any foot pedals? A classic wah cry baby pedal does wonders.

for the time being, I'll just use a VOX headphone amp (if you're unfamiliar, it's just a device that you plug the guitar into and your headphone into it as well).  they used to be painful because it can be quite loud; but my hearing is easily 85% gone ... according to the audiologist I don't hear until 70db.  but this little VOX has some nice features ... delay, reverb, chorus.  I'm having them send me a blues one, the one I have now is the VOX AC30; but I have so much stuff in storage or boxes and there is no way I'm digging through it to find the amp and cords, so I just told them to send me a new one and another cable. 

it's tough at home now because my brother can't go back to work and he just hates any noise that he's not making. So, playing through an amp would just drive him nuts and then I'll end up getting mad too. Seriously considering buying a place when I move back to California then I can have enough room to make some noise. 

amPlugBluesG2.jpg

• Like 2

I used to rest my chin on my bass [guitar] for "unplugged"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Went to the lake. Near turned around and came back home. Too many people there. Should have. Only excitement was seeing a guy capsize his kayak. Not really a day to be swimming.  I'm guessing the water can't be much warmer than the mean temp... that 50` or lower

• Haha 2

I was just looking on the Klipsch website and couldn't find any over the ear headphones ... are those a thing of the past?

I have some, in a box somewhere, and I just purchased a headphone amp with my new guitar. My brother has a spare set of headphones that I can use; but was surprised that it's all earbuds these days. 

9 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Lots...

https://www.sweetwater.com/c412--Headphones

I have some cheap Audio Technicas, and some Corsair gaming ones (with a microphone). The Corsairs are the wifes, that she used for some oneline meetings. They has too much bass.

you can find some for any budget.

geez, the first headphones shown cost nearly $1,500 ... I'm not responsible enough to have those!  I'll use my brothers for a while and if I get my own, I'll get a cheap pair as these will only be used for the guitar headphone amp.  I tried to listen to music with over the ear headphones while wearing my hearing aids and the hearing aids went crazy and kept beeping and trying to make some adjustment.  

@Marvel  Hi Bruce ... Black Beauty's weren't originally three pickups, right?  I know Frampton's underwent a modification; but I don't know if a third pickup was part of it.  Rumor has it that he initially didn't like the black beauty; but when this fan let him play his that was mod'ed, Frampton loved it. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, babadono said:

"Doobie Wah's"

was it for the voicebox?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

@Marvel  Hi Bruce ... Black Beauty's weren't originally three pickups, right?  I know Frampton's underwent a modification; but I don't know if a third pickup was part of it.  Rumor has it that he initially didn't like the black beauty; but when this fan let him play his that was mod'ed, Frampton loved it. 

Here is a video -------found on the JUKEBOX ---

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

I know nothing about guitars, but can replay them.

The first thing to go in the shop, sound, the electrical inspection is not far off so no power besides extension cords. laptop, HDMI to receiver, streaming music.

image.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1