Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

That's tough @dtel and bet it smelled good working on the cedar. 

It had a little smell but not real strong, it was called western red cedar, so I think that a little different then the other cedar ? Or it was just really dried out ?

I never realized what could happen with the oils in some of this wood. 

I once had a bunch of Mahogany to plane smooth, it was summer so I never had a shirt on. The next day my whole stomach and chest had hundreds of small red bumps, the wife took me to the hospital and they could not figure out what it was. That night I remember planning the wood and figured it was from being hit with tiny pieces of dust with that wood oil on it, it was just a guess and it went away the next day.   Should have thought of that before I sat in the hospital for a couple hours, but it was the first time I heard a doctor say " I have no idea what it is". 

• Like 2

So I get a notice from the IRS that they paid me interest on my tax return refund last year. So I think 'oh that's why it was a little more than I thought it was going to be'. They were delightfully informing me I owe taxes on this interest..... OK....... I've been a taxpayer for almost 50 years now, never got interest before. Anybody else experience this?

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, dtel said:

One other thing that can be done is to put  a coating on top of the roof, I did that on a different roof and it also worked to lower the heat and any dripping. It was not cheap but very good, although I don't want to go through that on a new roof.

A friend of mine had a spray insulation put on the inside of his existing building. Seems to work good but have no idea on cost. He has another building with no insulation and the purlins are just rusting away.

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

Ya want me to drag that stripper pole out and bring it down for the pilgrimage?  Could take it to your place, do the install, gimme a couple days in the local bars then we'd close em all down w/the women who follow me back to your place.  Slushie boy @ the bar?  Gold mine!  or not?  :) 

Wait, scratch that!  Forgot about your wife!  I'd be dead meat...

Ok so number one, you have a stripper pole......not surprised....but impressed. :lol:

Well when the women come back here she may have a problem with that, which would end up my problem especially if I am smiling to much. 

But the really big problem is we live in a dry county, everybody buys and has a drink but everybody is breaking the law, like it's the only law I am breaking. :blush2:

• Haha 2

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, Dave A said:

A friend of mine had a spray insulation put on the inside of his existing building. Seems to work good but have no idea on cost. He has another building with no insulation and the purlins are just rusting away.

Not worried about the heat but the water drops could be a problem, probably have to do something. I will find out real quick when warmer weather comes back, no problem yet but the heat and humidity changes may cause the metal to sweat.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dtel said:

the heat and humidity changes may cause the metal to sweat

I guess that is better than what it does to wood???  Humid around here -- just not hot enough to give my breathing fits. doors kinda stick and have to yank on then to open though. But, if the metal sweats, I guess you'd have to be careful not to put any electronics close to the walls.

I'm not a contractor so I'm just guessing. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, dtel said:

But the really big problem is we live in a dry county, everybody buys and has a drink but everybody is breaking the law, like it's the only law I am breaking

does a dry county mean you just can't buy it there or you can't consume it either?

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

does a dry county mean you just can't buy it there or you can't consume it either?

You can buy beer or wine just nothing harder, I guess because everyone knows you can not get drunk on beer or wine. :huh:  It's crazy, your not even supposed to have hard liquor, I doubt they could enforce it. I don't know if your not supposed to consume it or not?  I would need to look up local laws.

If your a smoker the law is..and medical was passed last year with over 73% of the vote...... Cannabis possession was decriminalized in 1978. Conviction for the possession of up to 30 grams of cannabis can result in a $250 fee without an associated criminal penalty.

They should be more worried about meth and crack heads, and general criminals, usually the same bunch. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, dtel said:

You can buy beer or wine just nothing harder, I guess because everyone knows you can not get drunk on beer or wine. :huh:  It's crazy, your not even supposed to have hard liquor, I doubt they could enforce it. I don't know if your not supposed to consume it or not?  I would need to look up local laws.

If your a smoker the law is..and medical was passed last year with over 73% of the vote...... Cannabis possession was decriminalized in 1978. Conviction for the possession of up to 30 grams of cannabis can result in a $250 fee without an associated criminal penalty.

They should be more worried about meth and crack heads, and general criminals, usually the same bunch. 

well that's over an ounce of pot and at today's potency, that should last a person a good while until they're totally spacemen. 

While I support medical marijuana use, my friends were surprised a few years ago when it was on the ballot in California (recreational use) and I was against it. Don't try to figure me out. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

I guess that is better than what it does to wood???  Humid around here -- just not hot enough to give my breathing fits. doors kinda stick and have to yank on then to open though. But, if the metal sweats, I guess you'd have to be careful not to put any electronics close to the walls.

I'm not a contractor so I'm just guessing. 

When a roof sweats moisture builds up and drips in spots, not a flood but it can drip here and there.

I have seen it on some roofs but not others, not really sure why, I need to look into it.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, BigStewMan said:

well that's over an ounce of pot and at today's potency, that should last a person a good while until they're totally spacemen. 

While I support medical marijuana use, my friends were surprised a few years ago when it was on the ballot in California (recreational use) and I was against it. Don't try to figure me out. 

Myself I think it should be legal for medical everywhere, 99.9% of prescriptions have some kind of side effect with some being terrible or addictive. If that would work for some people with less side effects I see no reason to not have it prescribed in one form or another.

Yes 30 grams is more than ounce, that made me think someone who smokes picked that number..........I can see it now.......I buy an ounce and it's a couple grams over I will still be ok. That's a good number lets use that. :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, dtel said:

Yes 30 grams is more than ounce, that made me think someone who smokes picked that number..........I can see it now.......I buy an ounce and it's a couple grams over I will still be ok. That's a good number lets use that. :lol:

I use it every night as a sleep aid. I have four herniated disks and arthritis in my neck, hip, and hands ... pain everyday and sleeping is hard because I can't get in a position that doesn't cause pain.  Eating a gummy before bedtime helps me sleep better. Last night, I only had 1 and a half gummies and I really wouldn't want to be much higher than that. Those days of massive excess are behind me ... I'm not a young man anymore. 

My doctor tried to prescribe me Gabypentin.  The pharmacist asks if I've ever taken it and I say no. she says that it slows down the central nervous system. I tell her that I have asthma and sleep apnea and could that slow down my nervous system to the point that I wake up dead ... she says yes that it possible.  So, I didn't take any. I don't think marijuana is as hard on the body as many narcotics. 

• Like 4

• Moderators

Yes, dead is a really bad side effect, it's proven to work to really help in many ways, like you said it's not as hard on the body, but works well for some things with less side effects if any. 

We cause enough problems for ourselves, we don't need to solve a problem to get another one possibly worse. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Yes, dead is a really bad side effect, it's proven to work to really help in many ways, like you said it's not as hard on the body, but works well for some things with less side effects if any. 

We cause enough problems for ourselves, we don't need to solve a problem to get another one possibly worse. 

-  PTSD -OCD in  Veterans is know to cause what is called  Obstructive sleep apnea  /choking while sleeping -

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4410924/-

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, RandyH000 said:

the IRS is required to pay interest on a refund if the refund is issued after a statutory 45-day period  -

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/coronavirus-tax-relief-2019-tax-refund-interest

oh OK thanks, it took longer than that last year for them to even acknowledge they received it. Took so long I thought it got lost in the mail, I called them and asked if they wanted me to send it again:)

• Like 1

things are kinda slow around here.

I think I saw that yesterday was "Be Kind to Your Ears Day"...  So I listened to the vacuum. How pleasant?!? I did listen to some music while I was mopping.

---------------------------------------------

kittens are all repaired... and they didn't even know they were broken. Got the little girl spayed today.

Now we're in the process of getting everyone up to date rabies vacs.

Here's a hint to getting a cat into the carrier.. Put the carrier on end, so you are putting them down into it. It is much easier.

• Like 2