Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

At the time they made a 650 twin like I had and a 750 triple. Mine was a 79 I believe.

I honestly can't remember it had gold mags and got stuff on it and I believe it had the 4 pipes.  The ex's dad got it from someone on a trade for a vette he had.  Told me it was worth some money but gave me a deal.  hahaha  Think I paid him like $950 for it.  I might have traded it to the dude I got my Harley from.  I'm clueless where it went.  Know the guy I sold the Harley to tore up the clutch and warped the rotors the first week he had it.  Moron rode it thru a river here that runs into the park with hot rotors.  So the rotors warped then the brakes locked up and he kept starting it trying to ride it home.  Got about 50 feet each time then it would stall out.  hahaha  How was that my fault?  Geez!  Gave it up when my two daughters were young.  All I could see is one of them getting burned from the hot pipes.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

I honestly can't remember it had gold mags and got stuff on it and I believe it had the 4 pipes.  The ex's dad got it from someone on a trade for a vette he had.  Told me it was worth some money but gave me a deal.  hahaha  Think I paid him like $950 for it.  I might have traded it to the dude I got my Harley from.  I'm clueless where it went.  Know the guy I sold the Harley to tore up the clutch and warped the rotors the first week he had it.  Moron rode it thru a river here that runs into the park with hot rotors.  So the rotors warped then the brakes locked up and he kept starting it trying to ride it home.  Got about 50 feet each time then it would stall out.  hahaha  How was that my fault?  Geez!  Gave it up when my two daughters were young.  All I could see is one of them getting burned from the hot pipes.  

Dave ------4 pipes on a Yamaha  Motorcycle from the front  cylinders means the bike was a 4 cylinder that had a 4 into 2 exhaust ,  being lightweight  these bikes must have been quite nimble  and revvy  --

So my guess is you had  a Yamaha  650  MAXIM  if it was a cruiser

Yamaha XJ650 Gallery - Classic Motorbikes

• Thanks 1

I had a yamaha 650 for a little while, nice ride looked ok except miniature. Think an 883 is small? Think again. OK for 70 on I-95 for a couple hours but not 90 like the V-65 Magna could effortlessly in 6th gear. Anything to get riding though! My exhaust wasn't blue though.. cleaned `em often. Could use one for around town now, but would need bigger to get out of the way of the dumb-dumbs more quickly!

vstar.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

That's the one.

That XS-1/XS-2/TX650/650 Special was a really good bike.  It came out in 1970, as a rival to the English Triumph and BSA 650 twins, but it was twice the bike, with an engine that was about 20 years newer in terms of its engineering.  It had an overhead camshaft and ball bearings on the crankshaft.  This meant that it could run for a while with NO oil in the engine.  I heard of one 650 that was sent out from a shop with its drain plug missing and no oil in it, because of some confusion in the service department.  It got somewhere near 80 km/50 miles before it quit, something that the English twins would not have had a chance of doing.

The Yamaha 650 twins were a bit heavier than the English bikes, but they were far more reliable, and yet vibrated just as much, for that “authentic” feel.  To make them a bit more comfortable, the handlebars had lead in the last few inches, which cut way down on vibration through the hands.  The electric start was also a popular feature, and was not seen in European bikes until years later.

One amusing quirk was that if the bike was on its centre stand on a smooth floor, concrete or other material, and you revved it up a bit in neutral while standing beside the bike, with only your hand on the throttle, the bike would “walk” around you.  As you blipped the throttle, the bike would walk more or less quickly, and could do a full circle around you.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

Dave ------4 pipes on a Yamaha  Motorcycle from the front  cylinders means the bike was a 4 cylinder that had a 4 into 2 exhaust ,  being lightweight  these bikes must have been quite nimble  and revvy  --

So my guess is you had  a Yamaha  650  MAXIM  if it was a cruiser

Yamaha XJ650 Gallery - Classic Motorbikes

The 650 Maxim was pretty good, but the Seca 650 version was a much better and more pleasant sport touring bike.  One magazine reviewer described it as an ideal “gentleman’s express”.  It came with a nice big 8 inch headlight, and we used one of those headlights on our RZ350 in our 1984 24 Hours of Nelson endurance race effort.  With a 55/100 watt bulb, that big light let us see well enough to maintain good speed in the dark and the rain in the middle of the night.

Hmm, I think I was digressing a bit there...

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

@RandyH000   Yup, that's exactly what it was.  In black w/all the gold trim crap.  Clear as mud now! Thinking it was some special edition that was worth more than most and harder to find.  Heck, he wanted to get rid of it so I bought it. SSDD!  lol 

:)

there was a  Yamaha XJ650 Midnight Maxim (1981)-----and it was a special Edition , with a blacked out engine and gold wheels and  black chrome and gold  trim , even on the handlebars  --  here are the 2 pictures , top is the special edition bike , the second is the regular bike

Yamaha XJ650 Midnight Maxim (1981)Yamaha XJ650 Gallery - Classic Motorbikes

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Islander said:

The 650 Maxim was pretty good, but the Seca 650 version was a much better and more pleasant sport touring bike.  One magazine reviewer described it as an ideal “gentleman’s express”.  It came with a nice big 8 inch headlight, and we used on of those headlights on our RZ350 in our 1984 24 Hours of Nelson endurance race effort.  With a 55/100 watt bulb, that big light let us see well enough to maintain good speed in the dark and the rain in the middle of the night.

Hmm, I think I was digressing a bit there...

we love Bikes ---so we can disgress a bit here , tx @Islander

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Islander said:

One amusing quirk was that if the bike was on its centre stand on a smooth floor, concrete or other material, and you revved it up a bit in neutral while standing beside the bike, with only your hand on the throttle, the bike would “walk” around you.  As you blipped the throttle, the bike would walk more or less quickly, and could do a full circle around you.

It would certainly do that.  For me it actually ran pretty smoothly though.  The hand grips, seat and foot pegs all did a decent job of isolating the rider from the vibrations.

I had friend that had a 750 twin Kawasaki and I could pull away from him at any speed if I wanted to.  

• Like 1

Beautiful ride!  Friend of mine had so many Harley's he didn't know what to do with them all.  Bobby had owned one since high school and his collection grew to be passed onto his son when he passed a couple years ago.  His most cherished was a 1958 black police special complete w/the lil red light pole on the back.  Bobby always rode smart but his son?  THAT was another story.  He had a sportster he built so the guys at work were all over him when he said he'd ride it thru the plant parking lot on his back tire when he was done.  Got it done and yup he did.  Bobby and I just stood there and laffed.  He had everything under the sun done to that bike.  Had I not seen it I wouldn't have believed it.  The police special?  Nope, not for sale.  Thing is sitting there new with about 1500 miles on it.  Crazy cool but great people.  

• Like 3

So I got asked yesterday about a change in my signature that I threw up there after reading something that tickled me.

Recognizing that pals proclivity to see through political blinders... I think it's appropriate to clarify.

The change I made looks like the title of a first grader book. The story... well you can draw your own conclusions. It's about an individual that endeared himself to me in his college days nearby, something he did and it's hilarious to me. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/michael-jordans-golf-course-designed-183330050.html?src=rss

• Haha 1

First black chinned hummingbird sighted in my town yesterday.  No ruby throats yet.  Well, looks like one a few miles away.   I think the deep freeze screwed up a lot of blooms and is changing the migration pattern this year, pushing them farther east.  On the bright side, at least a couple of possums have reappeared in the yard after quite an absence.

Hummingbird migration in the Spring and Fall through the United States and Canada, Spring Hummingbird Migration Map, migration patterns, migration times, hummingbird sightings (hummingbirdcentral.com)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, geezin' said:

Nope just a white 2020 FLHR with a police solo installed.

yeah , Comfiest seats----I see you kept the  rear floorobards -----so you can swap seats at will -

nice trail bike ---