Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

On 4/2/2021 at 1:18 PM, MicroMara said:

Today we visited the nearby air base.

tag-der-bundeswehr-wunstorf-transportflugzeug-Katharina-Kobienia.jpg.212c4ab3cf086105dedfdc6483ba54be.jpg

Unfortunately, we have unusually cold weather at this time of year. But ..no problem if you wear the right clothes...stay tuned ..I´ll keep you update .........

George , did you notice that the picture you took shows that these 3  Military Cargo Planes are actually Brand New -right out of the showroom-- the last plane still has the sticker on the windshield of the cockpit--the German Air Force just got the delivery of these planes from Airbus -

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

George , did you notice that the picture you took shows that these 3  Military Cargo Planes are actually Brand New -right out of the showroom-- the last plane still has the sticker on the windshield of the cockpit--the German Air Force just got the delivery of these planes from Airbus -

No I didn't notice that, the A 400 M`s  were all just standing there.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, RandyH000 said:

But that's just sticker, I'm sure they haggled them down some, no one pays sticker price. :lol: 

You have better eyes than me

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, RandyH000 said:

the last plane still has the sticker on the windshield of the cockpit--the German Air Force just got the delivery of these planes from Airbus -

I don't think so. I believe the plane at the back, due to the angle, has light hitting what is under the glass on all of them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marvel said:

I don't think so. I believe the plane at the back, due to the angle, has light hitting what is under the glass on all of them.

-Sorry but---there are 2 dark red stickers----

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

What would the payments be on that thing?

Think I'll get the extended warranty.

They are between $120-$130M each. You could probably get a deal if you bought more than one.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RandyH000 said:

Sorry but-you need glasses --there are 2 dark red stickers---- top left , top right on the windshield of the 3rd plane only

Of couse I need glasses... I have tri focals... I see what is there.

• Like 1

Uh, that is not red "tape" they are remove before flight streamers connected to various things such as cover for the pitot / static tubes, outside air temp, ice detectors, true air speed ports, etc. The covers prevent insects and dirt from clogging the system.

In the U.S. there is no "sticker price" on the aircraft. Each one is delivered to the U.S. military via a DD-250 form that lists the cost and is a negotiated price based on what software issues there are, what is missing due to supply and so on. OEM contract manager and accepting pilot sign the form.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Uh, that is not red "tape" they are remove before flight streamers connected to various things such as cover for the pitot / static tubes, outside air temp, ice detectors, true air speed ports, etc. The covers prevent insects and dirt from clogging the system.

In the U.S. there is no "sticker price" on the aircraft. Each one is delivered to the U.S. military via a DD-250 form that lists the cost and is a negotiated price based on what software issues there are, what is missing due to supply and so on. OEM contract manager and accepting pilot sign the form.

Thank you.  Keep up the good work.

20 minutes ago, USNRET said:

I know a guy that makes those "remove before flight" streamers!! (for our domestic supplier)

20 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

3 of the propeller blades  also have covers   --

That type of turbo prop engine allows the prop and power turbine to freewheel. Those are tie downs to prevent rotation due to wind.

• Like 1

For instance earlier C-130s were equipped with Allison T56-A-15s and the gas generator (engine and turbine) was mechanically connected to the prop thru a gear reduction gearbox to the propeller. The latest C-130s use a "power turbine" that is not mechanically connected to the gas generator but extracts thermodynamic energy from the gas generator via a power turbine connected to the propeller. This system was used in many instances in the past in many helos such as the UH-1 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, USNRET said:

The latest C-130s use a "power turbine" that is not mechanically connected to the gas generator but extracts energy from the gas generator via a power turbine

a free power turbine -