Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

3 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

the wood exports from Canada were affordable to the USA consumer  ---- exports were still profitable for Canadian producers at these low prices  given the USA Dollar  was 1,25  CAN $   , then duties and tariffs were levied , and lumber  businesses were on the brink of bankruptcy  -

--- lumber production halted to 1/2 , businesses shut down ,  some lost everything , and  the costs to operate at  half capacity doubled the lumber production costs ,  in the end ,  the duties and tariffs also  added up    ,and  lumber now costs 4x higher -

When wood exported from Canada is affordable (that includes a wide range of prices, depending on the buyer, of course) to USA consumers, the US government sometimes steps in, calling low prices “unfair competition”, and adds tariffs.  I don’t want to step on any toes or offend anyone, but when it comes to softwood lumber, it often looks like the US government (not the American people) insists on always coming out on top, regardless of what Canadian negotiators or the World Trade Organization have to say.

Canadian pricing structures reflect Canadian policies and nature of government.  Expecting Canadian pricing structures to be closely parallel to the US situation, or else be considered unfair, is actually kind of unfair.

Since this is a situation that at least two decades of negotiations by experts have been unable to resolve, it might be best to just leave this topic alone.  All I originally said was that huge thousand-year-old trees are getting rare. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Islander said:

In regards to the 2”x12” plank, could it be that trees big enough to cut 12” planks from are getting scarce?

True, but still many trees here for that size boards just not many are cut, just enough since they can get more of a more popular size from the same board feet. Most in this area are grown on tree farms owned or leased by paper companies. Paper should be going up also since those companies are now selling for lumber instead of to paper mills.

But it is also all the other things you said causing the price to go up. Even a 2x4 stud length is close to $7.00, they were around $2.00 6-8 months ago. 

From what I read online supply and demand can cause price increases, and building is going crazy because of low interest rates. But some are changing there minds when it adds such a large expense for a new house. Our middle daughter and her husband has a new house almost complete, the contractor said he could never do it at that price again, it's changing that fast..

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Islander said:

All I originally said was that huge thousand-year-old trees are getting rare. 

the problem with higher lumber prices has nothing to do with a shortage in wood supply  ,  but rather by an industry , that is  only running at 1/2 capacity , since the Tarrifs real  effect was to lower demand-

in essence ,when  less lumber is  produced  , higher are the  costs to the consumer  -

24 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

the problem with higher lumber prices has nothing to do with a shortage in wood supply  ,  but rather by an industry , that is  only running at 1/2 capacity , since the Tarrifs real  effect was to lower demand-

in essence ,when  less lumber is  produced  , higher are the  costs to the consumer  -

Wasn’t that the point of the tariffs?  To raise the price of Canadian lumber to US buyers, thus increasing sales of US lumber?

Yes, the virus contributed to mill shutdowns + extremely devastating fires in the NW + the lumber industries  miscalculation that the virus would shut down new home construction. Instead, low interest rates fueled the housing market and coupled with low production + unexpected high demand = lumber shortages = price spikes. I believe it’s known as supply and demand— 

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, richieb said:

Yes, the virus contributed to mill shutdowns + extremely devastating fires in the NW + the lumber industries  miscalculation that the virus would shut down new home construction. Instead, low interest rates fueled the housing market and coupled with low production + unexpected high demand = lumber shortages = price spikes. I believe it’s known as supply and demand— 

That's pretty much what I found reading earlier today but didn't have time to read but a couple sites.

• Like 2

This seems to be a time of news changing from week to week and even day to day sometimes.  On this side of the border, even the federal government sometimes changes policies from one week to the next.  We’re living in strange times.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dtel said:

But it is also all the other things you said causing the price to go up. Even a 2x4 stud length is close to $7.00, they were around $2.00 6-8 months ago. 

Yep. We're looking at getting creative with the closing contract with the house. Things could be going bonkers pretty soon and inflation might be hitting pretty hard soon too. The Probate not being finalized has thrown a monkey wrench into my life. We (heirs) can't deed the property to another until it is finalized. Which ticks me off `cause the "Real Property" is NOT a part of the "Estate". 

Except when it pertains to my current situation.

Any of you Legal-Eagles have any experience you would/could share hypothetically about renting for a 90 day or a month more period then applying that rent to the purchase of the home?

Please PM.

Yea I'm calling & EMailing Monday morning, but anything about protecting the interests of seller's side & buyers too could be invaluable here. Do not want to let this opportunity fade away.

• Like 2

Ugh, memories.  I had a '69 Mach w/the 351.  Another guy bought a '70 black Cobra Jet complete w/the shaker hood and some kinda "out there" nerdy chick here bought a bright yellow/black Torino w/the Cobra package.  I traded mine, he still has his and it's always been in the garage and she just sold hers but won't tell anyone what she got for it.  Musta been big buck$.  Yup, I was THAT freaking dumb even after I told myself I'd keep it forever.  Don't ask what I bought either but THAT was dumb too!  Yup, I did...   😂

62408527_2452229495066502_1758701941350727680_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I think we have all done similar things. Dave.

Got up early... well rested - for a change. Had my fried potatoes and 3 egg breakfast. Now I'm ready for a nap.. lol

Need to do some housekeeping today.  I don't like housekeeping, but I like a reasonably clean house. Wife worked 6 days last week and I don't expect her to do much. 

• Like 4

The TV news here has been reporting on the thefts of catalytic converters.  Some of the thieves hit the same vehicles over and over.  One charitable group had their minibus’s converter stolen 3 times!  The bus was one of those 15-20 seat models.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but are cat converters relatively generic?  You know, a converter of a certain length, with inlet and exhaust pipes of certain popular sizes.  Would a popular type/size of converter fit a multitude of vehicles, like various light trucks and buses?

Applying some logic to the crimes, those small buses owned by charitable non-profit type organizations could be ideal targets for several reasons.  The vehicles have lots of ground clearance, so there’s plenty of room to operate on the exhaust system.  Undo the clamps, give the converter a few twists, and off it comes, especially if it’s only been on the vehicle for a short time, so it’s not rusted into place.  Second, the vehicles aren’t used every day in most cases, so the theft often isn’t discovered for a few days.  Third, those service groups are less likely to have secure parking than a bus company or the like, where the parking area is locked up at night.  The bus shown on the news clip was in an open lot, with no fencing and accessible to anyone at any hour.

It’s just sad that the crooks pick on the most vulnerable, like purse snatchers that target little old ladies.  It’s disgusting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Islander said:

The TV news here has been reporting on the thefts of catalytic converters.  Some of the thieves hit the same vehicles over and over.  One charitable group had their minibus’s converter stolen 3 times!  The bus was one of those 15-20 seat models.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but are cat converters relatively generic?  You know, a converter of a certain length, with inlet and exhaust pipes of certain popular sizes.  Would a popular type/size of converter fit a multitude of vehicles, like various light trucks and buses?

Applying some logic to the crimes, those small buses owned by charitable non-profit type organizations could be ideal targets for several reasons.  The vehicles have lots of ground clearance, so there’s plenty of room to operate on the exhaust system.  Undo the clamps, give the converter a few twists, and off it comes, especially if it’s only been on the vehicle for a short time, so it’s not rusted into place.  Second, the vehicles aren’t used every day in most cases, so the theft often isn’t discovered for a few days.  Third, those service groups are less likely to have secure parking than a bus company or the like, where the parking area is locked up at night.  The bus shown on the news clip was in an open lot, with no fencing and accessible to anyone at any hour.

It’s just sad that the crooks pick on the most vulnerable, like purse snatchers that target little old ladies.  It’s disgusting.

They're hitting people around here too.  They take a battery operated reciprocating saw and have them off in less than a minute.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 11:30 AM, Dave1291 said:

Ugh, memories.  I had a '69 Mach w/the 351. 😂

- 4  speed Tranny   -Hurst Shifter and an  8 ball -Chin spoiler -4 Headlamps-Vent by the door handle -American Racing Wheels ,Ford  9 inch differential --Black hood -hood pins -V8 351 Windsor  Holley 4 Barrel Carb-  

1969 FORD MUSTANG MACH 1 FASTBACK

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 4/11/2021 at 11:30 AM, Dave1291 said:

Ugh, memories.  I had a '69 Mach w/the 351.  Another guy bought a '70 black Cobra Jet complete w/the shaker hood and some kinda "out there" nerdy chick here bought a bright yellow/black Torino w/the Cobra package.  I traded mine, he still has his and it's always been in the garage and she just sold hers but won't tell anyone what she got for it.  Musta been big buck$.  Yup, I was THAT freaking dumb even after I told myself I'd keep it forever.  Don't ask what I bought either but THAT was dumb too!  Yup, I did...   😂

62408527_2452229495066502_1758701941350727680_n.jpg

for some of us it's more like this

35C5411600000578-3665224-image-m-80_1467

GettyImages-179378128-e1590075583533.jpg

fat-old-white-man-with-pizza-and-beer-pi

@Tarheel most likely but with cocktail in tow

article-2047009-0E4BE8F700000578-793_634

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, grasshopper said:

I think we have all done similar things. Dave.

Got up early... well rested - for a change. Had my fried potatoes and 3 egg breakfast. Now I'm ready for a nap.. lol

Need to do some housekeeping today.  I don't like housekeeping, but I like a reasonably clean house. Wife worked 6 days last week and I don't expect her to do much. 

Fried potatoes and 3 eggs? Now that's a breakfast.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Fried potatoes and 3 eggs? Now that's a breakfast.

I fasted from mid-February to Easter time, for exactly 6 weeks and lost 7 kg of weight, now I am hungry ......a real german breakfast ....

1679174361_frhstck.thumb.jpg.880c5834346e112c7e41928343fdd805.jpg

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

I fasted from mid-February to Easter time, for exactly 6 weeks and lost 7 kg of weight, now I am hungry ......a real german breakfast ....

Brotchen!!!!!! I lived in Bad Godesberg for 4 years as a kid and I absolutely LOVE those bad boys. :) Thanks for sharing that breakfast because it also brings back all of the awesome places I've stayed that served that exact meal and is what I consider breakfast here in the stated...

On a sidenote, My worst (pun intended) breakfast experience happened at a B&B I stayed at in Koblenz where I met a group from Liverpool and we went out drinking heavily one night and I woke up to something that I never want to see again--It was called "bloodwurst" and when they brought it over I thought I was going to spew. 🥺 I ended up hiding it behind the orange juice but when ever I caught a glimpse of it brought that pukey response.  Yep as an adult I've been all over Germany and plan on visiting again when restrictions are lifted. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Brotchen!!!!!! I lived in Bad Godesberg for 4 years

607799745_badgodesbergkleiner.thumb.jpg.5f1f2f01ad2edb126c3b315f4a4d3c44.jpg

On a sidenote, My worst (pun intended) breakfast experience happened at a B&B I stayed at in Koblenz

koblenz.jpg.38622efdc7649168525e6d1fd73a8118.jpg

I woke up to something that I never want to see again--It was called "bloodwurst" and when they brought it over I thought I was going to spew. 🥺

The german " Blutwurst " ....is really not everyone's cup of tea

die-herstellung-von-blutwurstkleiner.jpg.ab72e5253eb1e8e7785918a905affc3e.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1