Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

@MicroMara That looks like drone footage of Bad Godesberg Castle in the first picture and from the equestrian statue at the Deutche Eck, if I'm not mistaken...Fwiw, I've been to Koblenz 3 different trips. Once I stayed at the Youth Hostel in Ehrenbreitstein and took this pic before they restored the statue: 

No photo description available.No photo description available.

and on another visit I camped on the other side of the mosel and captured this picture: {Note: That's my NF Tadpole tent on laundry day.}

No photo description available.

and here is another one from Ehrenbreitstein with the statue intact:

• Like 6

Thanx for the pics. You´re a traveler @Zen Traveler   , Germany can be so beautiful ....if the sun is shining ....LOL . Of course many many cultural sites were destroyed in the sec. WW by the Allies, we can be glad that a lot of our historical sites were renovated after sec. WW . They ´re  worth visiting and seeing .

• Like 4

@MicroMara I absolutely love Germany and have some incredible travel stories. :) The most memorable one at the Deutche Eck came on a 6 week camping trip. I flew into Berlin, camped for a week while exploring the city (I was there in 1989 and have a piece of the old Berlin Wall that I picked up at my campsite which bordered it on the edge of town), took a night train to Amsterdam, where I camped for another week. I then made my way up the Rhine River to Mainz for the next 4 weeks exploring the Rhine and Mosel, and then flew out of Frankfurt.

Anyway, there was some sort of National Day where I saw everyone dressed in Black at several different train stops. In Koln I found myself in the middle of a Neo-Nazi rally where I got some interesting pictures: 

ddMay be an image of 3 peopleLater that night on my return to my tent In Koblenz there were a group of Germans drinking beer at the Deutche Eck and as I approached one yelled to me "Auslander?" in a defiant tone. My reply back was "Tourist!" As I got closer they got up to check me out and before it could get uncomfortable I started telling them how much I loved their country and gave them a history lesson about where they were standing. They seemed impressed and we parted company as I made my way back over the mosel. :) 

• Like 5

@Zen Traveler   

I am happy about your beautiful experiences you had in Germany and also Amsterdam. I love Amsterdam, not because of their "coffee shops ".  Yes, there were troubled times in the years 1989 to mid-1990s. The reunification of Germany was completed and at that time there were a lot of political and social protests and demonstrations against the West German takeover of the former DDR. After all, with the beginning of the reunification, West Germany had to take care of the needs of another 17 million people, because all the economic foundations of the former DDR lay fallow. Even today, 30 years after the reunification of Germany, the East German residents feel like "second class" Germans. For this reason, the right-wing nationalist parties (AFD) are favored in these states in the democratic elections in the country and in the federal government. So it´s still an explosive and topical issue in our country,  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

West Germany had to take care of the needs of another 17 million people, because all the economic foundations of the former DDR lay fallow.

I was paying attention to your politics at the time and realizing the disparity I was amazed West Germany was willing to make a deal to bring up the east mark to mark...My dad worked at the Embassy in Bonn from 1968 to 1972 while I hung out in the embassy section of Bad Godesberg.

Even today, 30 years after the reunification of Germany, the East German residents feel like "second class" Germans. For this reason, the right-wing nationalist parties (AFD) are favored in these states in the democratic elections in the country and in the federal government. So it´s still an explosive and topical issue in our country,  

Uh, yup.  I wish I could comment but I've gotten in trouble in this thread before so I will refrain except to say {Edited}

19 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

I love Amsterdam,

Amsterdam!!! I know that place like the back of my hand and as much as Brotchen reminds me of Germany, Pomme Fritz on the Damrak can't be beat!

May be an image of 1 person

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

My dad worked at the Embassy in Bonn from 1968 to 1972 while I hung out in the embassy section of Bad Godesberg.

So your Dad was an us ambassador in Germany ?

Uh, yup.  I wish I could comment but I've gotten in trouble in this thread before so I will refrain except to say we have a similar group upset about similar things here.

I´ll understand , would do the same .....

Amsterdam!!! I know that place like the back of my hand and as much as Brotchen reminds me of Germany, Pomme Fritz on the Damrak can't be beat!

Yummi Yummi Yummi   dutch food ....

Their Fries ....

pommes.jpg.8eee7940376838b94ddfe33965e7fb50.jpg

Their fresh fish directly from the northsea

1640559317_fishausholland.jpg.45a424871606733441f73cd624a9fb91.jpg 

or their exquisite fish bread....

broodje.png.0b9d875b9038da51dbad9db4774ae7cf.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

- 4  speed Tranny   -Hurst Shifter and an  8 ball -Chin spoiler -4 Headlamps-Vent by the door handle -American Racing Wheels ,Ford  9 inch differential --Black hood -hood pins -V8 351 Windsor  Holley 4 Barrel Carb-  

1969 FORD MUSTANG MACH 1 FASTBACK

Nice car!  I like the 4 headlights.  When I lived in Québec in the Sixties, 4 taillights was a popular mod for Mustangs, often enough that a Mustang with only 2 taillights looked like a stripper econo model.

Did the chin spoiler/splitter improve the top speed at all?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Islander said:

American Racing Wheels

magnum 500 wheels

Ford  9 inch differential

with Trac loc

V8 351 Windsor

preferably 428 cobra jet w/ram air shaker

4  speed Tranny   -Hurst Shifter

top loader

• Like 3

5 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

preferably 428 cobra jet w/ram air shaker

-The 70 Mustang 428 Cobra-Jet engine  oil pan  was too low to the ground with the Standard F70-14 wheels and rims -

A  Friend of mine had a Mint-100% Matching Numbers 70 Mach1 428----a loose man-hole  scrapped the Original engine block in 1990 -127680900_70Mach1.thumb.jpg.11f27978114f64223f284efba5abf7cb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Had a friend with the 428 Cobra `69 Fastback.

One of the only Fords that could scare me riding in it. The steel braided hoses everywhere, Ford Blue painted motor and everything chrome that could be? Car show quality except for the daily-driver part. Gold & matte black stripes/accents. Very nice and did what my Charger could not do in the curves.

On another note our buyer-1 as me and my brother are calling them are working actively as I am on my end to wrap this home deal up! B-2 was rejected, B3 & 4 backed out due to the monkey-wrench. That's the breaks.

Relieved, but it's not anything signed as of yet. I upped it from 80% probability to 85% in my book today. 

I use a couple lines from Lou Reed's "Last Great American Whale" during issues similar to this:

Don't believe half of what you see
and none of what you hear.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, RandyH000 said:

-The 70 Mustang 428 Cobra-Jet engine  oil pan  was too low to the ground with the Standard F70-14 wheels and rims -

A  Friend of mine had a Mint-100% Matching Numbers 70 Mach1 428----a loose man-hole  scrapped the Original engine block in 1990 -127680900_70Mach1.thumb.jpg.11f27978114f64223f284efba5abf7cb.jpg

Technology is amazing.  I have a 3.0L inline 6 that has that much power.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I know what you mean.  My 2012 Grand Caravan R/T 3.6 litre V-6 makes 73 more hp than my old 1971 Corvette 5.7 litre V-8.  And it uses a lot less gas.

And now in 2021 you can buy several 200 mph cars:  Corvette, Mustang, Charger, or Challenger.  And they come with reliability for daily use, long warranties, and acceptable fuel mileage.  Technology marches on, and that’s great.  This is the real Golden Age of performance cars.  Bikes, too, and there are 200 mph bikes now.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

the Audi  TT-RS-R  has a 500hp -5 cylinder inline 2.5 liter / 1/2 the cross-section of the Lamborghini-Audi V10 ---

-one of my buddies has one ,  on lease  --absolutely mind boggling --light as a feather  - the tamer TT-RS has 400 HP -

https://www.motor1.com/news/175021/audi-tt-rs-r-abt/

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Islander said:

This is the real Golden Age of performance cars.  Bikes, too, and there are 200 mph bikes now.

I thought that my 1990 ZX-11 would be the high water mark for bike performance. Now it's just middle of the pack. I can't imagine what it's like to ride a 200+ hp, 450 lb bike. It's got to be a bit like strapping-on a JATO bottle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Edgar said:

I thought that my 1990 ZX-11 would be the high water mark for bike performance. Now it's just middle of the pack. I can't imagine what it's like to ride a 200+ hp, 450 lb bike. It's got to be a bit like strapping-on a JATO bottle.

That ZX-11 is still a really fast bike.  And it’s more than fast enough for most riders.  One time, years ago, I was riding my FZ1000, and when a Hayabusa rider tried to show how fast his bike was, I pulled away at somewhere around 250 km/hr.  That made no sense to me, until someone reminded me that not everyone is ready to ride at the speeds their Superbike/hyperbike is capable of.  The speed limiter is in their minds.  If you’ve got a strong wrist, with your ZX-11 you can probably take off on most riders, no matter what they’re on.

But yeah, the new big bikes must be amazing to ride.  Back in 2002, I was driving my minivan east from San Francisco on Hwy 80, when I saw 3 guys on near-new Yamaha R1s just ahead of me.  After cruising for a while at normal highway speeds, they started doing wheelies! At highway speed!  There’s no way my bike could ever do that.  Those bikes had 50 more hp than my bike, and were around 100 pounds lighter.  I can hardly imagine what the 2021 bikes are like.  Now the sport-touring bikes make 180 hp, and the supersport bikes make even more.

Meanwhile, penalties for speeding are higher than ever, with some provinces calling any speed over 40 or 50 km/hr over the speed limit “excessive speeding”, or “stunt driving”.  Those charges cause a mandatory 7-day impoundment of your vehicle, and fines up to $10,000.  Imagine getting your car impounded, leaving you at the side of the highway, for driving at 87 mph in a 60 mph zone on the highway.

At one time, travelling at 25 or 30 mph over the speed limit would earn you a ticket.  Now, it verges on being seen as criminal behaviour.  We have the fastest bikes and cars ever built, and draconian penalties for using a fraction of their capabilities.  Maybe the bigger numbers of metric speeds confused and scared the lawmakers.  Just a hypothesis...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

I use a couple lines from Lou Reed's "Last Great American Whale" during issues similar to this: Don't believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

Very true words...I am not thrilled that it would be so difficult to sell your house. The house is not sold until the contracts are signed and the money is in your account. I really hope that you will succeed soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

Very true words...I am not thrilled that it would be so difficult to sell your house. The house is not sold until the contracts are signed and the money is in your account. I really hope that you will succeed soon.

Thanks but.... don't fret!

The offer has been re-made and will be here in two hours, have to cut the back yard and grab a shower. Later guys & gals, I'm going to get some pocket money headed my way!

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Islander said:

That ZX-11 is still a really fast bike.  And it’s more than fast enough for most riders.

Yes, every time that I got complacent, it would suddenly remind me that it was much better at being a bike than I was at being a rider.

... someone reminded me that not everyone is ready to ride at the speeds their Superbike/hyperbike is capable of. The speed limiter is in their minds. If you’ve got a strong wrist, with your ZX-11 you can probably take off on most riders, no matter what they’re on.

That ZX-11 was amazing -- felt the same at 120 mph as most bikes do at 60. It didn't really get interesting until triple-digits. I got it up to about 140 on the road, once, before my better judgment took over.

Unfortunately I had to sell it about ten years ago, during some very difficult financial times.

Those bikes had 50 more hp than my bike, and were around 100 pounds lighter.

The ZX-11 was 576 lbs, with about 130 rwhp. Some of the new literbikes are 450 lbs with over 200 rwhp. That's downright frightening.

We have the fastest bikes and cars ever built, and draconian penalties for using a fraction of their capabilities.

Take it to the track!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1