Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

20 hours ago, dtel said:

Well the doors are here, now to just get them up. They took over a month to get here once ordered but that part is over now and time to get them into place.  This should be great fun.  :unsure2:

hardest part on these roll up doors  is the wall brackets and  the vertical rails  must be perfectly level  and  finally  adjusting the spring tension ---

• Like 1

K-stones came back today... actually one so big two days ago that I took a picture of it. Knew that meant more to come. The sword in your side twisting wasn't until this morning. At least I wasn't blocked up, anyone that's had them knows that is the worst part. Upped my h2O to a glass (16oz) every hour today only missed that twice.

Looking forward to coffee tomorrow morning, I skipped it today... had tea so I wouldn't get a caffeine withdrawal headache this morning.

We had over 80 again and I watched the grass grow, I'll break out the mower tomorrow!

Good Luck with setting those doors up!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

Electric drive on the end you use most and the other end manual or both electric or manual?  The midas touch for sure.  Steel hopefully?  

I'm old and need to lose weight so manual is for me and in summer both doors open or die from heat stroke.

One door hung today, worked it out with the tractor doing the lifting, again I'm old and the tractor does not care. I used that platform on the forks of the tractor to lift the door and side guides close to where they needed to be lined it up and screwed it down.

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Good Luck with setting those doors up!

I was a little worried about it, there heavy 10' wide and go 9' in the air. Not worried any more and one up and one to go. I'm relieved knowing it's easier than I was thinking.

image.jpeg

• Like 7

• Moderators
2 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

hardest part on these roll up doors  is the wall brackets and  the vertical rails  must be perfectly level  and  finally  adjusting the spring tension ---

True, but luckily when we built the frame for the building it ended up really level so this helped line everything up. It is even more important with a wind rated door since there are metal clips on every other corrugation that are locked into the guide rails so it has to be right or it will drag. 

One thing I liked about this company was all the mechanical parts are completely assembled and they use a really simple way to tighten or loosen the springs and it's a dead axel so only one adjustment does both sides equally. 

This a pic off the internet, insert a rod and turn to tighten, or lift up the catch and back off a little to the next stop, works great done the first door today couldn't be easier.

This is the company and the model is 750 and wind rated to 129mph.

http://www.janusrollupdoors.com/janus-series-750-certified-wind-load-door.html

ctgy-janus-replacement-drum-springs-271x271.jpg

• Like 4

• Moderators

It's a little lower than the building 145 mph, but much better then an unrated door for sure since we did have 140mph here once that I know of.

There are higher rated doors but the price increases quickly and I thought that was fine, hope to never find out.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, dtel said:

It's a little lower than the building 145 mph, but much better then an unrated door for sure since we did have 140mph here once that I know of.

There are higher rated doors but the price increases quickly and I thought that was fine, hope to never find out.

"And Everybody Says Amen"!

Too bad the garage door I had to mess with off and on for a couple of years wasn't one of those Janus Doors.

Looking Good! Like maybe it's the cure for the old ones from the 70s.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, dirtmudd said:

what the db rating ?

As far as reflecting DB's it's very close to whatever hit's the door. Before I had anything in there it was an echo chamber, it is getting better the more stuff I put in there, good thing.

• Like 2

Got the yard cut, did some laundry and ordered some fresh stew beef and stuff. Will make some tacos or burritos with it for the next couple of days. Had the appraiser and a thorough home inspection this week too.  Lots to keep busy with especially with day of downtime this week.

Judas Priest Live in Memphis from a King Biscuit Sunday night show in the early 80s playing today,  it's all the right tempo to keep me going even with the minimum of 20 oz of coffee today. Ate some oatmeal with blueberry jam in it, oats are supposed to give you energy and I haven't lacked any today!

It's warm and windy 83 today, heck I'm going back outside it's very nice!

And Mike is right, the man does have the equipment and ability to create mega SPL's if he wanted to!

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

, oats are supposed to give you energy

I never knew that, feels like could use some of that energy stuff your talking about.

Just finished the second door and very relieved it's over and working great. When done I came straight in to get some coffee, It's warm 86, and 56% humidity.  I was sweating,....better get used to it I guess. 

• Like 2

We've got 83 and 41% with 25mph kite weather again. Beautiful outside and I've been on the phone chit-chatting.

Try it sometime, I get more umph out of the oats than I do bacon and eggs but I like the latter more!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, dtel said:

we are on the Lake ,  our worst season for hard winds  is Winter , the winds pick up speed over large distances on frozen ice  and they bounce off the buildings on the shore --it feels like a Jetstream right above the house -

if we had a wind generator , I would not need hydro  --but the Army Corps  of Engineers would never allow it   that close to the lakeshore-

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, RandyH000 said:

they bounce off the buildings on the shore

I have heard that before, it was said with some winds you can not walk around certain corners of a building because the wind is channeled from other buildings to the point some places are not safe.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dtel said:

I have heard that before, it was said with some winds you can not walk around certain corners of a building because the wind is channeled from other buildings to the point some places are not safe.

Like downtown Boston (or anywhere) when it's five degrees and the winds are like a wind tunnel between the big buildings. Living in FL for five years at the time my tolerance for that wind-chill was very low!

• Like 4

Mornin'All

Nothin' exciting happening down here.

Wind is still..... blowing. A revised weather forecast - they traded wind for 100`.  That typically happens toward the end of May.... the wind stopping and 100` temps.

Thinking I might see some tomatoes on the vines... Getting lots of flowers, anyway. The Horned Melons are coming up.  Stuck some Butternut squash seeds in the kids flower bed.  She'll like the flowers and that the plants get big. She won't eat the squash unless I camouflage it as pumpkin pie.

Town happening - they are trying to organize a MayDay celebration downtown. I bet there will still be the big party [idiot contest] at CaliforniaGultch. That "event" has history... 40 years.  Party goers sitting/sleeping in the dirt, too stoned to know the difference.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, grasshopper said:

Stuck some Butternut squash seeds in the kids flower bed.  She'll like the flowers and that the plants get big. She won't eat the squash unless I camouflage it as pumpkin pie..

How the heck do you make that butternut taste like pumpkin?

Do you add pumpkin to it:P

Brown sugar, cinnamon, butter don't make it easier for me. I told those folks from MA they could keep it and laugh at my grits... at least I could eat grits until I wasn't hungry! They liked my yellow squash cooked with onions, S&P, then baked with some cheese with those Pepperidge Farms seasoned bread crumbs. But they did not like them just cooked as a side.

Those oats don't do anything else for me except fill me up then give me some energy until noon.

• Like 3