Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Spice it like pumpkin...  No, it won't be orange... neither is the wife's home prepared pumpkin.

Skipped bread pudding and strawberries for breakfast and had my usual 3egg omelette and fried potatoes with onion and peppers...

I'm ready for a nap.... after another cup of coffee

• Like 3

Love bread pudding!

Should have took a picture of my breakfast potatos I made yesterday with the last of them and the red bell pepper. It's cubed potatos, thin sliced celery, two cloves garlic, some red pepper sliced then cut up kind of small. Lots of black pepper and some salt fried up on med-high in olive oil/ butter until the potatos become browned/crunchy on the outside.

Had that at a restaurant in Atlanta back in the 80s for brunch once. It was in a big old house not too far from where the Varsity is downtown. So darned good I recreated it the next week when I was back home. Fresh in my mind then it was spot on, the exact same thing! 

• Like 2

Decided to mow and get it outta the way since the rainy front went thru.  Cub Cadet is runnin like a charm, new voltage regulator, blades, belts and the rest of the nickel dime stuff.  Kinda nice sittin there in the garage and not having to worry if it's gonna start or not.  Guess it was the regulator after all.  Only been playing with that battery issue for 10 years or so.  Cake now.  Jump on it and GO!   hahaha

Breakfast sounds good now but it's only 2:30 in the afternoon.  Think there's still 5 bags of Ore-Ida shredded taters in the freezer.  Could throw some in and add a couple eggs to it.  Had big bags on sale last fall for .99 so I loaded up.  No way would I shred my own.  Usually get some and dice them but have to get that freezer cleaned out before my beefs ready this fall.  Wait...  Screw the eggs think I'll grill up a T-bone!  Hmmmm, thaw the steak and do it tomorrow.  I'm hungry now though thanks to you two!  😂

• Like 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Dave1291 said:

No way would I shred my own. 

I did a few weeks ago, food processor, the blade I never used before worked great.  Worked perfect right up until i tried to cook them, I dried them with paper towel and followed directions. But no matter what I did they just browned and fell apart, and not the good kind of brown, the ugly kind. I tried it because I love hash browns, but they were not good at all. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

28 minutes ago, dtel said:

I did a few weeks ago, food processor, the blade I never used before worked great.  Worked perfect right up until i tried to cook them, I dried them with paper towel and followed directions. But no matter what I did they just browned and fell apart, and not the good kind of brown, the ugly kind. I tried it because I love hash browns, but they were not good at all. 

That's what Waffle House is for.  LOL  Was the cast iron hot enough?  I've done them successfully in the past, but it takes a fair amount of oil and really hot when they go in.  Kinda like stir fry potatoes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, dtel said:

Try freezing them prior to cooking next time.

• Like 1

It's so much easier to just buy them, either the fresh (simply potatoes) or the frozen kind.  If you shred your own fresh, you have to rinse them really good, and then dry them, maybe even soaking for awhile then rinse and dry.  Heat for any of the above needs to be about omelet hot or a slight notch higher.  It is a lot of trouble to not just get the prepped from the store.  This is of course for shredded hash browns.  Cubing up a few potatoes and frying with or without other ingredients is easy.

• Like 4

If you had to put a name on my potatoes... I think they are called Potatoes O'Brian.  

I half "bake" whole spuds in the microwave... then cube them and toss 'em in a hot cast iron pan with butter..When they're about half fried [brown/crisp] I add the onions and peppers....

I would never last until everything was cooked, if I didn't pre-cook the potatoes.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

If you shred your own fresh, you have to rinse them really good, and then dry them, maybe even soaking for awhile then rinse and dry.  Heat for any of the above needs to be about omelet hot or a slight notch higher. 

Yep believe it's the starch that does that, cubed big or little works well in a 12" cast iron on med-high on my stove.

Food processor?? It's easier to clean a knife and a chopping block that to take one of those dastardly things apart and clean all the pieces!

Took my knives off the wall and sharpened them, put `em back in the boxes until they've got a new home.

The leftover wustoff has kept me busy with the four letter words, anything I cut sticks to the sides of that 6' utility that's all I've left myself with now. The wustoff never held an edge or even stayed sharp for me. When I leave it's going to be left in the green dumpster here. Shun was too $$, Kyocera too brittle, I miss my Mac's.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

If you had to put a name on my potatoes... I think they are called Potatoes O'Brian.  

I half "bake" whole spuds in the microwave... then cube them and toss 'em in a hot cast iron pan with butter..When they're about half fried [brown/crisp] I add the onions and peppers....

I would never last until everything was cooked, if I didn't pre-cook the potatoes.

them's called home fries or cottage fries in my book..

sounds good...

with a Bloody Mary and huevos rancheros....

• Like 2

Happy Friday to all here at Klipsch Forum...

So in my world....

"Not Kidding"...

a dude zip-tied his ball sack...called 911 for help...

"maybe he didn't think to have diagonal pliers available to release him self from bondage???? LOL No Chit

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Yep believe it's the starch that does that, cubed big or little works well in a 12" cast iron on med-high on my stove.

Food processor?? It's easier to clean a knife and a chopping block that to take one of those dastardly things apart and clean all the pieces!

Took my knives off the wall and sharpened them, put `em back in the boxes until they've got a new home.

The leftover wustoff has kept me busy with the four letter words, anything I cut sticks to the sides of that 6' utility that's all I've left myself with now. The wustoff never held an edge or even stayed sharp for me. When I leave it's going to be left in the green dumpster here. Shun was too $$, Kyocera too brittle, I miss my Mac's.

I'm sure I could rehab it.  My wife would use it.  I go straight to the 8" chef knife for most anything.  If I had to choose just one knife in the kitchen to have, it would be the chef knife.  None of that asian style stuff for me.  

2 minutes ago, MyOwn said:

Happy Friday to all here at Klipsch Forum...

So in my world....

"Not Kidding"...

a dude zip-tied his ball sack...called 911 for help...

"maybe he didn't think to have diagonal pliers available to release him self from bondage???? LOL No Chit

I guess the question becomes--where is your world?  You know, for avoidance reasons.

• Haha 2

Hash Browns? Bake whole potatoes the night before. Put 'em in fridge or just let'em set out on the counter overnight. Shred'em with a cheese grater immediately prior to throwing them on the griddle...add a little finely diced onion or whatever floats your boat if your feeling fancy.

• Like 1