Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

20 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I'm sure I could rehab it.  My wife would use it.  I go straight to the 8" chef knife for most anything.  If I had to choose just one knife in the kitchen to have, it would be the chef knife.  None of that asian style stuff for me.  

I have before when I bought the whole set in the early 90s in Orlando. But it would not keep an edge for you either bud! It stinks!

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Pete H said:

That's what Waffle House is for.  LOL  Was the cast iron hot enough?  I've done them successfully in the past, but it takes a fair amount of oil and really hot when they go in.  Kinda like stir fry potatoes.

Yes Waffle House makes good hash browns, went in Hope and got the Hashbrown bowl which was a bunch of hash browns and sausage and eggs.

Yes the cast iron was hot, then I tried it not quite as hot, both times I added some oil, it was fresh potatoes which could have something to do with it ? Could have been the type of potato also ?

7 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Try freezing them prior to cooking next time.

Could be the difference, I remember when I worked in  restaurant they were always frozen, in rectangles where 5 would fit on big flat top grill and fill it up.

• Like 3

• Moderators
5 hours ago, grasshopper said:

One of my favorites, twice baked potatoes have some French name, too.  I make stuff, my wife's secretary calls it something...

I think I have done that before. Baked the potatoes let cool a little and scoped out the centers, mixed that with seasoning and whiped up a little with some butter I think it was then put back into the shells and baked with a little cheese on top.

If that's what twice baked potatoes means ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Yep believe it's the starch that does that, cubed big or little works well in a 12" cast iron on med-high on my stove.

Food processor?? It's easier to clean a knife and a chopping block that to take one of those dastardly things apart and clean all the pieces!

That's what I could not understand, cubed or sliced I have no problem browning but shredded like Hash browns I had no luck with. The food processor had a round blade which cuts perfect shaped pieces like the good hash browns, thought I had it made but not so much when i cooked them. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dtel said:

That's what I could not understand, cubed or sliced I have no problem browning but shredded like Hash browns I had no luck with. The food processor had a round blade which cuts perfect shaped pieces like the good hash browns, thought I had it made but not so much when i cooked them. 

Same here, can't do what wafflehouse does on their big griddle. If it's the level of heat, I haven't found the correct temp to cook `em shredded.

As long as the potatos are fluffy on the inside I'm fine!

Some things are like that. Shredded cheese for Mexican food works well, you make Lasagna and slicing that wet Mozzarella ends up better. 

• Like 3

they have secrets... like McD's FrenchFries...

I've heard a lot of places'  potatoes are partially cooked before they prepare them for customers.

The idiot contest begins.... our first contestants built a bigaz bonfire ... in EXTREME wildfire conditions.  The fire chief went down and had a chit-chat with them... Should have just taken the pumper truck as hosed the whole bunch...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, dtel said:

If that's what twice baked potatoes means ?

yep

and there is a fancy French name for them

I guess it sounds better than "twice baked potatoes"... like I call my chicken in green enchilada sauce "pollo verde".   Just sounds better than "Green Chicken", no?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Shiva said:

Man, they didn't have toy trucks like this when I was a kid.  I want one.

The first thing I noticed was the creative use of sealed ball bearings as wheels.  Those should last several lifetimes in that application.

Then I watched the video.  That’s no toy.  I wonder how far it can fire its pellets if it’s aimed upwards like the full-sized cannon would be?  It’s a range use only device, unless you have a really big back yard.  I hope nobody underestimates what it can do.

As for Mr. Potato Head, I’m old enough to remember when you had to provide your own potato.  The kit included only the accessories.  You’d have to ask Mom for a spud.  Part of the fun was that potatoes from the kitchen came in all shapes and sizes, so Mr. Potato Head could look very different every time you got a fresh spud.  The plastic potato came later, maybe after the parents grumbled about their kids playing with a toy that got kind of smelly and disgusting after a week.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We had the MrPotatoHead you described...

---------------------------------------

I was noticing the bearing wheels, too.  That thing is dangerous.  Well beyond, "You're gonna put an eye out".

We used to make a little cannon from a piece of pipe. Hard candy as projectiles and a firecracker for propellant. 

• Like 3

@grasshopper Breaking out a new sarong for the festivities?  SOMEone has to show them how to party the right way today Bill.  Bonfires...  Goldschlager and Monster's topped off w/all the infused pot drinks out there today?  Soooo over-rated!  😂

Maybe another change?  cables-coffee-cycles-cocktails-chefs & cannons

Today's menu since I'm now hungry and even more confused about these left-over home fries...  Yesterday threw in some eggs and a few dashes of oldtimer's hot sauce.  Today leftover burgers from the grill, more taters and more hot sauce.  Oh yea, add cheese to the taters.  Thanks for that thought JohnJ! 

Thinking some machinist in a ball bearing plant like New Departure had too much time on his hands.  Heck of a nice toy for the big kid in ya!  :) 

Think the weather is done up this way so gonna open up the french doors today and let the hood know I'm still alive.  What to play?  What to play?  :)

• Like 5

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

& What about Carbohydrates? :emotion-14:

Don't need no stinkin carbohydrates just more protein.

Thinking about happy hours.  Jack Black with 2 drops Proof syrup and a drop of bitters.  30 more minutes!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1