Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

36 minutes ago, Islander said:

In Greece, don’t they drink ouzo with everything?

Yes they do ,

been rediscovering a 10 year old bottle of  Drambuie today  , while toasting  Mother's day ,   planting  the  vegetables for the summer  , tomatoes , cucumbers , peppers , zucchini, eggplant  took all but 2 hours   -

• Like 3

So are those the 6-9/lb size or the 10-12/lb @dtel `cause I was thinking a couple dozen at least!

& sarongs and bikes :o

It's got to be boots and heavy selvedge, used to say 501s but they're thinner than my t-shirts now!

The times I went up and down I-4 in my painters shorts I shiver to think what could have happened between Maitland and Disney.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

So are those the 6-9/lb size or the 10-12/lb @dtel `cause I was thinking a couple dozen at least!

& sarongs and bikes :o

It's got to be boots and heavy selvedge, used to say 501s but they're thinner than my t-shirts now!

The times I went up and down I-4 in my painters shorts I shiver to think what could have happened between Maitland and Disney.

I heard on the radio a couple of years ago that Levi’s have 5 levels of quality, starting at the bottom with the jeans you find at Walmart.  They get better as the price goes up.  The $85 Levi’s are much better than the the cheapest ones.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

I have no idea, there just sold by the sack/pound, size is usually determined by the time of the season. Some places that sell Belle river crawfish are the biggest, 95% of the crawfish here are farmed. There were a few places that tried to sell them sized but it did not go over so well, for the trouble of sizing them it would raise the price by 30%. 

The first 2 sacks were large, the last sack were closer to medium, some of the leftovers. 

Shrimp are always sold by size.

image.jpeg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, dtel said:

I have no idea, there just sold by the sack/pound, size is usually determined by the time of the season. Some places that sell Belle river crawfish are the biggest, 95% of the crawfish here are farmed. There were a few places that tried to sell them sized but it did not go over so well, for the trouble of sizing them it would raise the price by 30%. 

The first 2 sacks were large, the last sack were closer to medium, some of the leftovers. 

Shrimp are always sold by size.

image.jpeg

nice leftovers

• Like 5

Just now, babadono said:

Better how? Will the more expensive ones help me build a block wall mo' better:)

Better cloth and better sewing, I’d guess.  That’s about all there is to a pair of jeans.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Islander said:

I heard on the radio a couple of years ago that Levi’s have 5 levels of quality, starting at the bottom with the jeans you find at Walmart.  They get better as the price goes up.  The $85 Levi’s are much better than the the cheapest ones.

I discovered that the only thing similar to the thick old, stiff as cardboard shrink to fit 501s was selvedge. The 501s do still have some $250 + a pop versions made of selvedge but it is only 15oz. 15oz denim is thin, won't keep me warm when its in the 20s outside. That is as heavy as they make it for a while.

BraveStar in California makes various weights but they do not last long compared to the old jeans. Got some of their 22 oz straight leg jeans that were closer to what I was looking for. Their straight leg is too skinny, my butt doesn't fit in there. & I'm not even muscular like I was before. I'm not mal-nourished like that whole generation that won't eat right! You ask? the Food Pyramid then moderation, it's freakin' easy. 

There are hundreds of brands but I didn't want to spend $300 for a pair of jeans from Raleigh or from Japan.

Imogene & Willie has their "Willie" that is a straight leg and it's made to fit your butt and thighs. Good jeans. It's weird had to order what is less than my known waist size, but it works. Mine are less than 15oz but the denim does feel more thick than that.

Been searching the last ten years for a replacement for the only pants I've worn except for work since I was 11 years old.  So NO!! levis does not have better jeans. Carhartt does. Lee does.

levis says wash your jeans by putting them in the freezer:wacko2: 

Here's Your Sign!

Not one more red cent from me!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Islander said:

In Greece, don’t they drink ouzo with everything?  Or am I thinking of Russians and vodka?  Or Irishmen, Scotsmen, Englishmen, and beer? Okay, I guess that’s enough national stereotypes for one post.

15 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

Yes they do ,

been rediscovering a 10 year old bottle of  Drambuie today  , while toasting  Mother's day ,   planting  the  vegetables for the summer  , tomatoes , cucumbers , peppers , zucchini, eggplant  took all but 2 hours   -

Stereotype yes.

”Yes they do” - no they don’t.

1 hour ago, RandyH000 said:

Dinner or Supper without  Greek wine , Ouzo or Metaxa  , no way , Adio

My response was to that said of Ouzo, not wine. Yes wine, generally red, many times made in the household itself. Ouzo after dinner to “settle ones stomach” but not nearly as often as red wine with dinner. 
Being of Greek decent, grandparents were immigrants from Greece, rarely spoke a word of English. Had hundreds of dinners at their home and that of aunts and uncles. I consider my exposure to Greek home life more actual, less antidotal. Red wine often, Ouzo on occasion. 

• Moderators
21 hours ago, babadono said:

Better how? Will the more expensive ones help me build a block wall mo' better:)

Not really, but when your doing it the neighbors driving by will say wow look at those jeans, he must know what he's doing. :huh:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I'm about done planting garden. Not that I mind clean dirt under my fingernails... Temps approaching 100` makes it tough to sprout seeds and get and kind of survival rate.... not to mention our low r/h... saw it at 3% the other day. Dew point was 1`F. What I do have up, is doing OK/good... for now. I'm relying on our monsoon to temper the heat and give some humidity. Last year was a complete bust.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

last year was bad for tomatoes.  We can get a flush of fruit set before June. Once it gets 100`, no fruit set.... if we don't get rains  you are about done for the season.  IF we get a monsoon, July thru Sept are some of the nicest times down here...high temps drop to low/mid 90's. And you get a ton of late season toms

Phoenix --- no. It is still hot with more humidity.

I paused the music for a minute and picked up a bit of trivia on tv

Humans fart an average of 20 times a day... I have to wonder what constitutes a single fart? Do the pop pop pop pop farts make a fart or are they counted as individual farts?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, dtel said:

Not really, but when your doing it the neighbors driving by will say

The neighbors say "you don't know what your doing, but we notice you do it a lot":)

Most of the neighbors are wealthy(IME) and would not consider doing any where near the amount of manual labor I do.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1