Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

23 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I know a couple of folks who have paid. What they do to your system can't be undone... meaning you pay them to unlock it or kiss all the data goodbye.

It boggles my mind that they can't be tracked.  If someone can figure out a way not to be tracked, you'd think that someone could figure out a way to track them.  I'm speaking theoretically as I know zero about how they hide their identity.

• Like 3

I had to write off my last PC due to a ransomware attack.  I didn't pay the hackers, and then paid a computer shop $300 to make it operational again.  It was, barely.  That's when I finally went over to the Apple side.  Fighting virus attacks and scammers for over 30 years was finally enough for me.

The RCMP advise everyone not to pay the ransom in these cases.  Meanwhile, there's a rumour that the RCMP paid a $14,000 ransom when their system got attacked 3 or 4 years ago.

If you suspect your machine is under attack, don't wait to shut it down normally.  Switch it off, unplug it, do whatever it takes to TURN IT OFF IMMEDIATELY.  The reason for this is that the encryption program takes time to get through all your files.  If you can get your computer turned off quickly enough, you can limit the damage, sometimes enough that it can be brought back to full operation.

In my case, the malware was disguised as an Ad-Aware update.  I'd been using that program happily for years, so when I saw the update announcement, it seemed normal enough.  I ignored it at first, then came a second notice urging me to download it right away.  That should have been a clue.  Insisting that you act now is often a giveaway, along with bad spelling or grammar, but the English was fine in these notices.

I hit the Download button, then, maybe 20 minutes later, came the announcement that my files were now encrypted, and it would cost me $300 in Bitcoin to get the key to decrypt my files.  I shut it down at that point, but quite a bit of damage was already done.  I had a lot of pictures, but luckily the TIFF ones were untouched.  That was good, because those ones were fully edited, representing some time invested.  The JPEGs were another story.  All of them lost their labels, and some were completely corrupted and useless.

I"m typing this on a MacBook Pro.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

It boggles my mind that they can't be tracked.  If someone can figure out a way not to be tracked, you'd think that someone could figure out a way to track them.  I'm speaking theoretically as I know zero about how they hide their identity.

https://www.barrons.com/news/servers-of-colonial-pipeline-hacker-darkside-forced-down-security-firm-01621002013

Looks like someone found them!

& what I meant about the govt?

There was an alternative that was just shut down like a lot of other stuff that has been recently!

So this issue fit right in with the new plan I guess?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Islander said:

I had to write off my last PC due to a ransomware attack.  I didn't pay the hackers, and then paid a computer shop $300 to make it operational again.  It was, barely.  That's when I finally went over to the Apple side.  Fighting virus attacks and scammers for over 30 years was finally enough for me.

The RCMP advise everyone not to pay the ransom in these cases.  Meanwhile, there's a rumour that the RCMP paid a $14,000 ransom when their system got attacked 3 or 4 years ago.

If you suspect your machine is under attack, don't wait to shut it down normally.  Switch it off, unplug it, do whatever it takes to TURN IT OFF IMMEDIATELY.  The reason for this is that the encryption program takes time to get through all your files.  If you can get your computer turned off quickly enough, you can limit the damage, sometimes enough that it can be brought back to full operation.

In my case, the malware was disguised as an Ad-Aware update.  I'd been using that program happily for years, so when I saw the update announcement, it seemed normal enough.  I ignored it at first, then came a second notice urging me to download it right away.  That should have been a clue.  Insisting that you act now is often a giveaway, along with bad spelling or grammar, but the English was fine in these notices.

I hit the Download button, then, maybe 20 minutes later, came the announcement that my files were now encrypted, and it would cost me $300 in Bitcoin to get the key to decrypt my files.  I shut it down at that point, but quite a bit of damage was already done.  I had a lot of pictures, but luckily the TIFF ones were untouched.  That was good, because those ones were fully edited, representing some time invested.  The JPEGs were another story.  All of them lost their labels, and some were completely corrupted and useless.

I"m typing this on a MacBook Pro.

Sigh, I don't know why good backups are so alien to people. Do a mirror image once a month if the PC has critical programs or data so you won't lose to much. Or more often. Takes all of maybe 1/2 hour while you are busy doing something else. You get hacked you lose little and are back up quickly. Better yet your critical data is not on a pc that goes on line. Macs are not the answer for many because the number of programs for them is quite small compared to windows. Also if you  do not keep your PC updated you will get in trouble. Redundant backups keep you safe from fires floods tornados and more just don't store them in the same place. Hard drives fail too and no back up no luck.

• Like 2

Yes, having very recent backups greatly limits the damage that malware can do, and yes, I had been a slacker about doing backups.  I’m trying to get into the habit with the Mac, but old habits (or lack of habits) can die hard.

There’s another way scammers can attack.  A few years ago, my mother wanted to contact Norton about some minor issue.  She’s not that familiar with Google, and she is getting up in years.  As you would expect, a number of sites appeared, and she clicked on on that looked legit.  That was a bad day for her.

The crook said there was a problem with her PC, and would she give him permission to take control of it?  She did.  He got in there, totally wrecked it, and then billed her over $300.  I’m three time zones away, so it’s frustrating to hear about stuff like this after it’s too late to do something about it.  Mom’s stepdaughter and her husband are great people, and the husband knows much more about computers than I do.  During a visit, he did his best to get the machine sorted, but finally gave up on it and bought her a laptop.  

As I said, he’s a great guy, but the scammers never rest.  At least twice a week, I get a call telling me that my credit card (no mention of which bank) has just had a $500 charge made on it.  “Press 1 immediately to deal with this!”  Nice try.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Dave A said:

Sigh, I don't know why good backups are so alien to people. Do a mirror image once a month if the PC has critical programs or data so you won't lose to much. Or more often. Takes all of maybe 1/2 hour while you are busy doing something else. You get hacked you lose little and are back up quickly. Better yet your critical data is not on a pc that goes on line. Macs are not the answer for many because the number of programs for them is quite small compared to windows. Also if you  do not keep your PC updated you will get in trouble. Redundant backups keep you safe from fires floods tornados and more just don't store them in the same place. Hard drives fail too and no back up no luck.

I’d say that those who do backups faithfully may have learned good computer practices due to being trained at work, while self-taught types like me never learned the good habits and efficient workflow that would be normal in an office.  That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it!

• Like 2

https://www.wktv.com/content/news/Deansboro-fuel-company-helps-with-southern-US-fuel-shortage-574423331.html

this thread is out of gas..

gas is on it's way !

DEANSBORO COMPANY HELPS WITH SOUTHERN U.S. FUEL SHORTAGE 

Buell Fuels (photo: Earl Davis/WKTV)

Buell Fuels sent four drivers, four trucks, and 50,000 gallons of regular and diesel fuel south to help with the shortage that struck after the cyber attack on the Colonial Pipeline.

Posted: May 14, 2021 5:44 PM

Updated: May 14, 2021 5:47 PM

Posted By: Joleen Ferris 

DEANSBORO, NY - Buell Fuels sent four drivers, four trucks, and 50,000 gallons of regular and diesel fuel south to help with the shortage that struck after the cyber attack on the Colonial Pipeline.

"Even though the news was out that the pipeline restarted on Wednesday night, a lot of people don't realize that fuel actually moves about 5 mph and it's gotta go all the way from Houston up to the port in New Jersey," says Garth Curtis, of Buell Fuels.

Curtis says it'll probably be about two weeks before everything is back to normal.

"That pipeline actually moves over 100 million gallons of fuel every day. To put that in persepctive, if you've seen a fuel tractor trailer, to meet that same demand that the pipeline takes care of every day, that's about 10,000 truckloads of fuel, every single day, that's been taken right out of supply," says Curtis.

The drivers left early Wednesday and should be back Sunday and Monday. Curtis points out that many might not appreciate the full value of having all the fuel we need... until we don't.

"You take for granted the fact that you pull into the gas station and there's gas there to fill up, but, what if there's not? What if there's not? And what if you're an ambulance driver that's gotta get a patient to the hospital

• Like 2

On 5/15/2021 at 1:02 AM, Islander said:

As I said, he’s a great guy, but the scammers never rest.  At least twice a week, I get a call telling me that my credit card (no mention of which bank) has just had a $500 charge made on it.  “Press 1 immediately to deal with this!”  Nice try.

Are there enough feeble minded people that this is profitable?

On 5/14/2021 at 2:40 PM, CECAA850 said:

Sure us little folks can't do d#@k against these a-holes. But don't tell me that if we(the US ofA) had the will that this could not be dealt with and eliminated. Sorry I ain't buying it.

On 5/15/2021 at 4:17 AM, Islander said:

I’d say that those who do backups faithfully may have learned good computer practices due to being trained at work, while self-taught types like me never learned the good habits and efficient workflow that would be normal in an office.  That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it!

buy a NAS , set the backups , and no more worries -

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, babadono said:

Are there enough feeble minded people that this is profitable?

Yes, there are, especially when you consider that it costs next to nothing to send out these messages.  If even 1 in 1,000 messages results in a successful scam, a profit has been made.  If the crooks target towns or counties that are known to have a larger than usual elderly population, their odds of success increase, since the elderly may be more likely to be depending on a younger person (niece, son, etc.) to help them with technical or legal subjects.  A fast or smooth talker may be all it takes to separate a gullible person from their savings.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Islander said:

Yes, there are, especially when you consider that it costs next to nothing to send out these messages.  If even 1 in 1,000 messages results in a successful scam, a profit has been made.  If the crooks target towns or counties that are known to have a larger than usual elderly population, their odds of success increase, since the elderly may be more likely to be depending on a younger person (niece, son, etc.) to help them with technical or legal subjects.  A fast or smooth talker may be all it takes to separate a gullible person from their savings.

like this one -

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/dozens-of-cra-tax-scammers-busted-in-india-takedown-1.4318299

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Regular gas available at many places.....premium not so much.  Down to 1/4 tank when I learned Costco had premium.  $31 worth of 93 octane and no line🙂

plenty of  GAS is Canada ,   open the Keystone pipeline  , problem solved , buy , bye hackers ---

• Like 1
  • Sad 1