Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Audible Nectar said:

C'mon......what's a matter with a little "cross-the-border" action, huh? Deux deux deux.......

The problem is sharing a room with buba. 

On 5/27/2021 at 9:53 PM, grasshopper said:

"computers" when I was a kid, were relegated to NASA... and had the computing power of a digital wristwatch. The computer in the Gemini capsule took about 2/3 of the cabin....

color tv's were new and for the wealthy, when I was a kid.

We (I) bought the first color one in here in the 1980s, last ones on the block to have one. The B&W had died and I turned it into a cabinet in the seventh grade in `75. I had gotten tired of the small b&w from the back in the big room.

In the 60s there was a whole room at my mother's bookkeeping office taken up by a computer. It stored and read stuff off of what I called ticker-tape. Kind of like spools of red cap paper for the toy guns except larger than reel to reel spools. Dots got punched into them and that's what it read out to be typed by the automatic typewriter.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Got the alkyd almost wrapped up yesterday the soffits, fascia and dental molding are looking better. Next appraisal should come in a bit higher than that tree fiddy wasn't enough to get the kids what they needed from the mortgage. Not as important this go round, just keeping myself busy.

So having to plant my step ladder into the bushes several times to get up there I got spider bit again.

HATE spiders, I'd even say I like yellow jackets better!

Forgot about it until Friday when my calf muscle was hurting. Cleaned it with alcohol stuck it with the corner of a new razor I put under fire, then have kept Caladryl on it to get the rest of the poison out. Better today, but still sore enough to limp. Never even saw it but I got it smashed between my jeans and my leg right when it happened.

• Sad 4

16 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Dots got punched into them and that's what it read out to be typed by the automatic typewriter.

I actually studied computer programming in HS and Jr college.... Our "programs" were on that tape...had a teletype machine to connect to the computer... We went to the U of AZ Computer Science building [in HS] to visit the computer. We took programs with us.... on key punch cards. Try keeping those in order....Felt like we needed a wheelbarrow to haul the program.

I learned to hate computers.... it took really well, too. I still intensely dislike them. Mostly the over application of them. Yeah... they save us a lot of running... so we can go to the gym and get the exercise we missed.  I'll cut my rant short...

------------------------

Was up at 4AM. Did a quick clean on the floors and ran the vac... we had the kid last night. She and the wife sleep at the cottage when she's here. That's how I was able to get things done....The dogs appreciate the company and the kid has a habit of planting her feet in your back when she sleeps. King size bed over there.

• Like 2

Wellllllllllll, so much for the fig bars.  Kroger had zero in the way of fig bars.  Seasonal?  😂  They did have these on sale and w/a buck off or $1.79 a package.  Haven't had Oreo's in eons!!!  😂😂😂

IMG-20210529-234642349.jpg

:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We had our first Heathkit color TV ~1964.  In 1965 we moved to Kalamazoo and built our second Heathkit color TV (the first one was sold with the house).  In addition to color TV we had Fetzer Cable, which allowed us to watch stations from Detroit, South Bend, and Chicago.  We probably got a dozen channels.  Without cable you could get CBS and NBC pretty well, but ABC not so great.

Happy Memorial Day.  Remember those men and women who gave all in service to our country.

• Like 2

On 5/29/2021 at 6:01 AM, grasshopper said:

Temp is set at 87` on it... and that is quite comfortable, for us.

Ditto that. hardly ever set A/C below 87..... when its 105-110 outside 87 feels pretty good. Swamp cooler would work pretty well here most of the time but alas I did not build one into the house. I think HVAC contractors don't make enough money on them to install/recommend them.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, babadono said:

3 pm   .....a minute of prayer and Thanksgiving to all who gave their lives for our freedom.

"could you not keep watch for one hour?"

And five for the opposites.

• Like 1

Do you know the warm progress under the stars? Do you know we exist? Have you forgotten the keys to the kingdom? Have you been born yet, and are you alive? Let's reinvent the gods, all the myths of the ages Celebrate symbols from deep elder forests Have you forgotten the lessons of the ancient war? We need great golden copulations. The fathers are cackling in trees of the forest Our mother is dead in the sea Do you know we are being lead to slaughters by placid admirals and that fat slow generals are getting obscene on young blood? Do you know we are ruled by T.V.? The moon is a dry blood beast Guerrilla bands are rolling numbers in the next block of green vine amassing for warfare on innocent herdsman who are just dying O great creator of being, grant us one more hour to perform our art and perfect our lives The moths & atheists are doubly divine and dying We live, we die and death not ends it. Journey we more into the Nightmare Cling to life our passioned flower Cling to C..ts & c..ks of despair We got our final vision by clap Columbus's groin got filled with green death I touched her thigh and death smiled. We have assembled inside this ancient insane theatre To propagate our lust for life flee the swarming wisdom of the streets The barns are stormed The windows kept And only one of all the rest will dance & save us With the divine mockery of words. Music inflames temperament. When the true King's murderers are allowed to roam free a 1000 Magicians arise in the land Where are the feasts we are promised? Where is the wine, The new wine, dying on the vine?

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Remember when we were in Africa?

Back when life was easier, and we were all much browner?  It’s been so long since we left the cradle of humanity, and walked East, and North.  We had to imagine clothes to keep warm, and we gradually lost much of our colour on the 10,000-year trek to the colder lands.  It was 100,000 years and more, before we began to be often seen across all of the northern continents.

We met others, who were like us, and yet not like us, with a different look, and a strange wide-hipped walk.  They were big and strong, but didn’t seem to have the gift of speech, as we had.  Once there were many of those cousins, but now they’re long gone, and even our elders don’t remember why their numbers dwindled, until they were all gone, leaving only our kind as the self-proclaimed masters of all we could see.

• Like 2