Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Speaking of knives I just bought two knives I saw in an add.  Impulse buy for sure but at least it wasn't more stereo gear.

For lunch......Mahi on brioche buns with a little sauce.  Eating light for dinner this week.....wedge salads....that's it.

"So now you know the rest of the story"

• Like 4

Well....

That roof coating went well. Got the goo up to the roof... Not w/o incident. I managed to tear a piece out of my leg on the ladder. I have a wad of toilet paper on it, still. .. and a shoe full of blood.  It's ironic that the offending part was a safety device to keep a person from getting cut on the ladder. The plastic cap on the end of the aluminum is cracked and has a big burr on it. 

Spose I should take the toilet paper off and apply some alcohol... internally and externally

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• Moderators
4 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Green veggie or salad, potatos with some good bread and that would put a smile on my face for hours Eldon

There was also brocoli and some kind of flavored rice our daughter made while I was outside.

Yes it was closer to overcooked than undercooked, bunch of pansies around here and I didn't want anyone to freak out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

Well....

That roof coating went well. Got the goo up to the roof... Not w/o incident. I managed to tear a piece out of my leg on the ladder. I have a wad of toilet paper on it, still. .. and a shoe full of blood.  It's ironic that the offending part was a safety device to keep a person from getting cut on the ladder. The plastic cap on the end of the aluminum is cracked and has a big burr on it. 

Spose I should take the toilet paper off and apply some alcohol... internally and externally

I do dumb stuff like that all the time, I am pretty much a walking scar.

My shoe got caught on a ladder rung a few weeks ago only the second step when coming down. I fell as I tried to step to the ground with the other foot, I ended up on the ground with the one foot still hung up in thwe ladder. It tood over 2 weeks for my back to stop hurting, I had bent over to far as I fell and I don't seem to bend so much anymore.

It seems they are even moving the floor further away, getting up and down off the floor working on something is harder. Getting old is tireing and even hurts sometimes. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I can get down to the floor easy. Getting back up is another story. Hunched over until I can run into a wall and straighten up.

I can relate to having to overcook things. Only way I can serve the wife meat any less than well is to serve in a darkened room. Then she will comment about how tender and juicy it is.   ????  I did manage to get her to not overcook shrimp. That is a major accomplishment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think (hope) I'm done climbing ladders onto the roof at my age (72).  Those asphalt shingles are unforgiving when you take a spill.

Won't tell you about the time I tried to make a 13' ladder reach the lower gutter (16') by putting in on top of cinder blocks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, grasshopper said:

Only way I can serve the wife meat any less than well is to serve in a darkened room. Then she will comment about how tender and juicy it is.   ???? 

Maby cook them medium at most and a small piece well done and let her taste the difference? I know sometimes if someone can see a little pink they have a problem, I like red in the middle and a little crsipy on the outside, I always order rare if were out. 

1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

I think (hope) I'm done climbing ladders onto the roof at my age (72).  Those asphalt shingles are unforgiving when you take a spill.

Won't tell you about the time I tried to make a 13' ladder reach the lower gutter (16') by putting in on top of cinder blocks!

I don't blame you at 72, I'm 63 and have to think twice about what I am doing.

Can't beleive you were crazy enough to use cinderblooks and put a ladder on it.

When I fell off the ladder a few weeks ago the first thing I thought of was how happy I was it had not happened weeks ago. Working on the workshop I was on tall ladders and even on the roof, I would have been much worse. Maby it was just a warning, like saying to me OK stupid your old PAY ATTENTION.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Tarheel said:

I tend to forget how old I actually am, and do things a younger person might not even try. You know... like moving the MWMs off the truck and into the house by myself. It could have gone wrong so easily and quickly. Fortunately, it went ok.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I tend to forget how old I actually am, and do things a younger person might not even try. You know... like moving the MWMs off the truck and into the house by myself. It could have gone wrong so easily and quickly. Fortunately, it went ok.

I've got physical limitations, but after working in a big power plant, where everything was too heavy and often rusted in place, we learned to be careful, and the supervisors showed us how to be careful, so now, when I'm at home, or anywhere, really, I consider the best and safest way to do tricky things before I start, so as to avoid injury, because if I fall down, there's nobody here to pick me up.  Even so, I managed to put a foot through my ladder after changing a light bulb, and landed on the floor. 

It would feel odd to be wearing work boots inside the apartment, but climbing a ladder while wearing slippers is more hazardous than I realized.  Luckily, the only damage was a scrape to one shin.  I call that a cheap lesson.

• Like 3

Ladders and I have history. I carry a scar on my arm from an incident when I was a teenager. Fell off an extension ladder with a 5gal bucket of mortar dragging me across expanded metal. Dr was funny.

"I can't stitch that.... it's hamburger".

...at the bowling alley, we used to change [floro] ballasts while working off a 10ft step ladder on the oiled portion of the lane/s. 

almost as much fun as climbing down a windmill after you've been working in the gearbox.

random association

when I was at the bowling alley in HI, a neighboring business wanted to borrow a ladder.

"Which do you need.. the big one or the little one?"

the response was classic

"Which one is taller?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Islander said:

I consider the best and safest way to do tricky things before I start,

I do also, sometimes for days looking at a safer or easier way for an upcoming project, but things still happen sometimes.

For me it's usuialy the little things, a scrape or a stick from something, I tend to bleed everyday at times.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, grasshopper said:

Ladders and I have history. I carry a scar on my arm from an incident when I was a teenager. Fell off an extension ladder with a 5gal bucket of mortar dragging me across expanded metal. Dr was funny.

"I can't stitch that.... it's hamburger".

I do have a good ladder accident story.

I had a nickle section of cancer between my elbow and shoulder on the front side. It was not going to be long before a trip to the dermatologist to remove it like the time before in a different place. 

Well I was working on the workshop and moving my big ladder and it fell sideways and I caught it. A few minutes later my arm inside my jacket felt wet, so I took it off to find alot of blood and pieces of skin. I went inside to wash it off, cover it and change jackets, that night I looked better and noticed it tore off the spot that was growing. It healed over and nothing growing, I was shocked, so I guess i removed a spot of cancer with a ladder. :lol: It still has not come back you can not even tell where it was. :emotion-21:

• Like 6

Wow, lots of ladder stories today. I was lucky myself last week leaning back away from the house and to the left or right to paint the soffits is the ideal way to trigger my vertigo. It stayed away but I was hanging on before each of those stretches.

In the 90s things were different, tying extension ladders together was common. Once at Downtown Disney me and another daredevil I worked with tied a 24 to a 36 footer from the bucket of a fifty foot lift. It was for less than an hour, the power rollers could not reach that far and not windy. The ladders were tied to the building too.

* Good Job ^^

Edited by JohnJ
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

^^Climbing, I've been watching the folks putting a new roof on my building. These folks walk up and down the ladder like it is nothing. The ladder is fully extended and up tight against the building.

In my military days, I was climbing poles with climbers, and towers with safety harness to get to where I needed to be, just to hang antenna...Did this for a bit over six years...I vowed once I got out I would never climb again. And I haven't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1