Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Islander said:

That did sharpen up the looks of your machine, and choosing a contrasting colour for the parts that could need to be accessed quickly is a good idea.

Well I thought it deserved it and I needed to stop any rust, plus it does look better.

4 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

@dtel , that thing is a beast.  Nice, I like it.

It is well made, I have had it about 15 years and have done nothing to it at all.

3 hours ago, grasshopper said:

Elden, your shop remind me of my uncle's place.  He was a machinist...and he had the stuff to do it at home.

I am no machinist but would love to have a lathe, but I would have to learn how to use it which is not easy I would guess.

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

And your planer looks like a Deere now!

The only colors they had besides black and white were sun yellow or that green and I thought the yellow would be a bit loud.

I have other old tools, 3 kinds of grinders, a drill press and bandsaw and they are all built to last and have needed nothing except a new belt to keep them working, they were all my dads. 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

we all have the dreaded "alligator skin". Wife was trying to put lotion on my back and she couldn't get it spread before it soaked in.

not in the NORTH ----we dont get sun exposure on our skin , so no crocodile skin ---and we put  sun lotion at 75 -80---  you guys are tanned  all year around or close to it -we cant get tanned unless we sunbathe for a week -

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

That stuff grows and multiplies like weeds around here if you let it.

Yea it does everywhere except when I put it in a pot! Think I have too much dirt, not enough sand in this. It came from New Smyrna Beach "The Shark Bite Capital of the World" was three feet around and a couple feet high with a flower shooting out of the top in Maitland, then again in Cocoa outside by the front door both times. Since then the other two pots are dead but I have one left not big enough to use as my medicine plant for burns and cuts yet but it will come back... I think.

PXL-20210611-184348300.jpg

1 hour ago, dtel said:

The only colors they had besides black and white were sun yellow or that green and I thought the yellow would be a bit loud.

Cat Yellow?

I'd bet!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Yea it does everywhere except when I put it in a pot! Think I have too much dirt, not enough sand in this. It came from New Smyrna Beach "The Shark Bite Capital of the World" was three feet around and a couple feet high with a flower shooting out of the top in Maitland, then again in Cocoa outside by the front door both times. Since then the other two pots are dead but I have one left not big enough to use as my medicine plant for burns and cuts yet but it will come back... I think.

PXL-20210611-184348300.jpg

Cat Yellow?

I'd bet!!

We ignore ours and they grow like mad.  Never had one indoors or in a pot though.  Their flowers are pretty cool looking.

• Like 1

That's true in FL also @CECAA850 but not here with "winter" temps of highs in the 40s lows in the 30 and lower. Winter in quotes because they aren't really anymore.

Oh and any flower that looks like fireworks exploding are the only ones I like... also the ones that produce something good to eat out of the garden!

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, RandyH001 said:

so no crocodile skin

I wish it was just crocodile skin, had skin cancer twice already and over 300 little things burned off by a dermatologist. All from sun damage over the years, mostly my arms and where my shirt didn't buttom up at the top. 

WEAR SUN SCREEN, especially when your young and invincible/stupid thinking it's not a problem. It becomes a problem as the years add up.  

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, dtel said:

I wish it was just crocodile skin, had skin cancer twice already and over 300 little things burned off by a dermatologist. All from sun damage over the years, mostly my arms and where my shirt didn't buttom up at the top. 

WEAR SUN SCREEN, especially when your young and invincible/stupid thinking it's not a problem. It becomes a problem as the years add up.  

Elden , you are a survivor ---Godspeed  , the cancer  research is advancing ,slowly but surely --we all lost relatives to cancer -

I see kids  in  the Hospitals I visit , 2-4-5-10 years old with terminal cancer ,  we are in a hospital today and tomorrow  , in another --300 miles apart -

--Support Cancer research , tell everybody ,  to get checked if they sense a growth------

• Like 4

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, RandyH001 said:

I see kids  in  the Hospitals I visit , 2-4-5-10 years old with terminal cancer ,  we are in a hospital today and tomorrow  , in another --300 miles apart -

--Support Cancer research , tell everybody ,  to get checked if they sense a growth------

It's sad, I am VERY lucky compared to many, I'm 63, it's just hard to see kids going through what many have to go through. Our daughter is an RN, she has worked in many fields but refuses to work with kids, she says she can't handle it, I don't blame her I couldn't either.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Our DiL is an RN who worked at Children’s Mercy here in KC for several years. After having her own son she couldn’t cope with seeing other children with serious illness, of course many terminal. She finally had to work in another area hospital in a more typical environment. It indeed takes a special mentality - 

• Like 5

today was the practice run. The heat starts tomorrow. Last prediction had Tucson for 110`+ for the whole next week..... and a chance of rain. 10% - 20%.

that's bittersweet. Most likely is we get dry thunderstorms... lot of lightning and no rain. And the humidity will go up appreciably. From single digit to 20%.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, geezin' said:

Use this for dry skin. 'Taint cheap but it works wonders.

CereVe-MoisturizingCream--222x300.jpg

Awesome product! I have some very light CeraVe with a sunscreen in it that I use on my face. (Unfortunately, it doesn't help my looks)

As many on here know, I lost my first wife to malignant melanoma. Aweful! She was a saint and bore it well, but I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

14 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Made me wonder, if I have to go west of the Appalachians all the storms especially in the spring that got blocked by those mountains would get to me if I did.

Prices on the cabin type homes I like have practically doubled since last autumn when I started scanning possibilities.

The best time to buy real estate is nearly always last year.  Prices go up faster than you can save, so the best bet is to buy what you want and can afford as soon as you see it.  Time, and real estate prices, wait for no man.

• Like 3

Another birthday to add to the list. My wife surprised me at work... brought food and a nice little cheesecake. We went out for dinner last night... ate a a place overlooking the Tennessee River. I had wood fire grilled salmon, black beans and rice. It was a beautiful time to spend with my wife.

IMG_20210611_193040.jpg

20210611_161437.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Another birthday to add to the list. My wife surprised me at work... brought food and a nice little cheesecake. We went out for dinner last night... ate a a place overlooking the Tennessee River. I had wood fire grilled salmon, black beans and rice. I was a beatutiful time to spend with my wife.

IMG_20210611_193040.jpg

20210611_161437.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3