Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Islander said:

I saw the Eagles in 1977 and 1980, and both times they were content to play their music for us, except that as they walked onstage at the 1980 concert, they walked like they were “wild and crazy guys”, like Steve Martin and Dan Aykroyd.  The audience loved it, then they began to play, and it was a great show.  

The show we went to was the Hell Freezes Over tour, it was a good show but that speech halfway through by Don Henely was aggravating, some even started booing it went on so long.

Now Eric Clapton was just the opposite. He came to the stage and said Hello and started playing,  halfway through he said thank you we will be back in a few minutes, at the end of the show he said thank you and goodnight, no other general talking. But a great show, and really long.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Islander said:

Nobody was standing up and blocking our view, unlike what happens lately, when I get a 3rd row or 5th row seat, but hardly get to see the show, because the front row feels the need to stand up for the entire show, causing the second row to stand up, and so on, until all the audience is standing.  At an Elton John show?  That’s not dance music.  Do they stand up to get a better view of the musicians’ shoes?  Standing up during the encore is understandable, but not for the whole show.

Went to see Floyd a few times in the mid 80's, without Waters, and when everyone started standing up and going nuts, at 2 of the shows, Gilmour simply told everyone to relax, sit down and enjoy the show, and paused long enough before starting, that they actually listened, which was fantastic.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Pete H said:

Went to see Floyd a few times in the mid 80's, without Waters, and when everyone started standing up and going nuts, at 2 of the shows, Gilmour simply told everyone to relax, sit down and enjoy the show, and paused long enough before starting, that they actually listened, which was fantastic.  

That’s great.  I have respect for performers who want to see all of their audience (not “the crowd”) enjoying the show, not just the front couple of rows.  Back in 1973 or so, I saw Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto, which contained a sold-out house of about 22,000 fans.  When a fight broke out in front of the stage, Frank stopped the music in mid-bar, with a gesture like a symphony conductor.

He spoke directly to the combatants, saying that there would be no music if a fight was happening.  Not surprisingly, people were yelling at the fighters to smarten up, totally supporting Frank.  Things settled down within a few minutes, and Frank restarted the band with another gesture, in mid-bar, just where they had stopped!  I gained even more respect for Frank Zappa that night than I already had.  That’s how it’s done, unlike the example of some bands, who would have kept on playing, like the Stones at Altamont. That didn’t turn out too well at the time, and for some time after.

• Like 2

I've got one or two venue stories I could share but then I'd be like everyone else.  I DO have an Eagle's story!  hahaha  Guy I know wanted 4 tickets for the second show in Cleveland one time.  Now this guy is just a redneck straight shootin kinda guy.  So he's about 5'7", with his wife and another couple I know.  Sittin 2nd row center and this 6'4 black dude walks in w/his woman and sits in the first row.  Perfect right?  Down side is the guy had a big Mexican sombrero on.  hahaha   INSTANT limited visibility from row 2.  So they're leaning around watching the show and the guy isn't wavering.  Standin tall right in front of Joe and he's hot.  He told me he reached up and put his hand on the guys shoulder and told him to sit down or take his hat off so he could see.  hahahaha  From that point on it wasn't a good night for Joe.  hahaha  I laffed HARD when he told me about it then told him he was lucky he was still alive.  The guy was a DE for the Browns.  hahahaha  They loved the seats and the show though.  lolol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I'm gonna enjoy 100` ......... when it cools to that. These 100 and teen days are getting old, fast. Came in from the doghouse and grabbed the doorknob. It was.... not hot, but quite warm.

--------------------------------------------

wearing a big hat in a crowd situation is rude, yes.

• Like 3

Hate being barefoot on asphalt or concrete when it's been that hot for a few hours. Don't do that too much since I got snakebit that time.

We did get 90s again but it was nice because of the low humidity. Not a cloud up there, but there's a low in the gulf coming up soon that will rain on us.

Good thing I got the grass cut and then almost got my two storage bins filled completely with the help of a neighbor. Got room left for that fridge I love, buyer 2 did try to wrest it from me but no. I'll only give it up if I cannot get it in the new place which I seriously doubt!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

The kickstand will sink into it and the bike will lay down.

My V65 Magna did that once in Daytona. Good thing I was strong then, it was 600+ lbs to pick up and move closer to the condo on the cement!                                      @Dave1291 that's a Rubbermaid, had one exactly like that for years here.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, grasshopper said:

don't park your motorcycle on asphalt. The kickstand will sink into it and the bike will lay down. If you have your windows down in the car, you can hear the tires sticking to the tar...

We used to carry plastic items to put under the sidestand.  One was called a Cycle Foot, and was shaped like a wide 4” long foot.  One from Yamaha was a strong round one that still works well as a coaster.  It wasn’t just asphalt.  Gravel or grass could be just as bad.

There’s one thing that I envy about Harleys:  their sidestands.  Those great long stands that lock into position are the best, even if they add a certain amount of weight.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, grasshopper said:

Tucson is being spared of the one hundred and teens today...predicted 112`. Can you feel the difference? 

--------------------

I was noticing the stand on the boy's Sporty... it is a vast improvement. I still don't know that I would trust it,

-I always park my bikes that do not have a center stand with a wood block about 2x3 under the side stand to keeo the floats in the fuel system from gumming up  on 1 side --------now JAP or Euro bikes have center stands -but HD have quite long  side stands   ,  while JAP bikes have the shortest - --

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RandyH001 said:

-I always park my bikes that do not have a center stand with a wood block about 2x3 under the side stand to keeo the floats in the fuel system from gumming up  on 1 side --------now JAP or Euro bikes have center stands -but HD have quite long  side stands   ,  while JAP bikes have the shortest - --

You’ll need to search far and wide to find Japanese and Euro bikes with center stands as standard equipment. Yes some do, but certainly not the majority. Center stands are very handy, always enjoyed having a bike so equipped. 
I remember my old BMW R-Series twins - both wheels could be removed and the bike would sit there all naked, doing a balancing act on the center stand. And as I recall that same damn bike had a spring return on the side stand, as soon as the bikes weight was lifted off the stand it would snap back to the frame. If you weren’t ready or an unsuspecting person would lean on the bike the stand would snap back and - Timber!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, richieb said:

- Timber!

to avoid the bike 's center stand return spring action   ,  you remove the spring on 1 tab with a flat screwdriver  while the bike is on the side stand  -  when the repair is finished , you clip the spring back on -