Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

45 minutes ago, RandyH001 said:

to avoid the bike 's center stand return spring action   ,  you remove the spring on 1 tab with a flat screwdriver  while the bike is on the side stand  -  when the repair is finished , you clip the spring back on -

I referred to the side stand spring, not center stand. Early Ducati’s had the same issue.

21 minutes ago, RandyH001 said:

2021 BMW M 1000 RR First Look | Cycle World

Yes, I know that bike. I have it’s “baby” brother. And of course no center stands on sports bikes. It’s not good for one’s health - 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richieb said:

You’ll need to search far and wide to find Japanese and Euro bikes with center stands as standard equipment. Yes some do, but certainly not the majority. Center stands are very handy, always enjoyed having a bike so equipped. 
I remember my old BMW R-Series twins - both wheels could be removed and the bike would sit there all naked, doing a balancing act on the center stand. And as I recall that same damn bike had a spring return on the side stand, as soon as the bikes weight was lifted off the stand it would snap back to the frame. If you weren’t ready or an unsuspecting person would lean on the bike the stand would snap back and - Timber!

Centre stands have gone out of fashion, maybe from around the time bikes began to be sold with 4-into-1 exhausts, which can interfere with centre stands.  They can be combined, but race replica bikes want to have the appearance of removing all excess weight, even it it was very useful weight.  This means that to lube the chain you need either a race stand for the back of the bike or a buddy or two to help you tip the bike over until the rear tire lifts off the pavement and you can spin it, sometimes with the engine running and the bike in first gear.

BMW sidestands do have the name of flipping up when you don’t want them to.  Bimotas are even worse.  Long ago, I got to ride a YB8, but the sidestand was so tricky that my buddy didn’t want to take a chance of dropping the bike, even when the owner encouraged him to take it for a spin.

As for Harleys, it was the locking sidestand on the Big Twins that I was referring to.  My brother had a Super Glide when he lived north of LA, and I made sure to take it out whenever I visited him.  It was fun.  I’m not familiar with the stands on the Sportsters.

1 hour ago, RandyH001 said:

to avoid the bike 's center stand return spring action   ,  you remove the spring on 1 tab with a flat screwdriver  while the bike is on the side stand  -  when the repair is finished , you clip the spring back on -

And you do that while sitting on the bike, every time you park it?  Actually, the centre stand is fine.  It’s the sidestand that’s tricky on the BMWs.  Are they still like that?  The crossways Four is quite different from the boxer Twins.

3 hours ago, richieb said:

You’ll need to search far and wide to find Japanese and Euro bikes with center stands as standard equipment. Yes some do, but certainly not the majority. Center stands are very handy, always enjoyed having a bike so equipped. 
I remember my old BMW R-Series twins - both wheels could be removed and the bike would sit there all naked, doing a balancing act on the center stand. And as I recall that same damn bike had a spring return on the side stand, as soon as the bikes weight was lifted off the stand it would snap back to the frame. If you weren’t ready or an unsuspecting person would lean on the bike the stand would snap back and - Timber!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Islander said:

And you do that while sitting on the bike, every time you park it?  Actually, the centre stand is fine.  It’s the sidestand that’s tricky on the BMWs.  Are they still like that?  The crossways Four is quite different from the boxer Twins.

The side stand spring went away long ago. You need to remember I’m old and decrepit, my R75 and R100’s were of the late 1970’s vintage. The side stand on my S1000r sits the bike very upright, little angle and relatively short. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

"old and decrepit"

I resemble that

I call it cranky old fart

----------------------------------------------

no plans for the day. Try to stay cool. I see some "normal" temps in the forecast and it was a little overcast this AM. the dew point is going up... we might get some rain, eventually. It has to work up to it. Not like the frontal assault storms. These just bubble up. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

"old and decrepit"

Did ya notice he forgot so add the "not yet wearing Depends"

It just adds a bit of color to the statement. & starts them thinkin.  😂

13 hours ago, richieb said:

You need to remember I’m old, decrepit but not wearing Depends yet, my R75 and R100’s were of the late 1970’s vintage.

😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, USNRET said:

Got the bike home today. After two years of storage I replaced the battery, a little Marvel oil down the cylinders, some injector cleaner in the fuel and Walla fired right up.

IMG_20210620_115614 (3).jpg

It’s always been a Mystery to me - what is that Marvel oil?

11 hours ago, USNRET said:

Got the bike home today. After two years of storage I replaced the battery, a little Marvel oil down the cylinders, some injector cleaner in the fuel and Walla fired right up.

IMG_20210620_115614 (3).jpg

Just adding some injector cleaner to the fuel sure beats having to disassemble and cleaned gummed-up carbs!  Why gummy?  Because the more volatile parts of the fuel evaporate first, leaving behind a goopy or even hard-as-varnish residue.  Sometimes a bike would have sat so long that the carburetor jets could only be discarded, because no solvent would remove the hardened gum, and using a drill to clear the precisely-sized holes would have ruined them.  Less time and money to just pop in some new jets.

And that’s how it was when I was young!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

never tried this... but, I have heard that white gas cuts that lacquer.

Oh, geez, that's dangerously volatile and flammable. I've had success with acetone (nail polish remover).

• Like 2