Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

15 minutes ago, dtel said:

If Yellowstone erupts

The good news is that an eruption of this scale isn't likely in any of our lifetimes. Yellowstone last erupted about 640,000 years ago, and the U.S. Geological Survey says the probability that it will blow its top again is about 0.00014 percent each year [source: USGS].

https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/yellowstone-overdue-eruption-when-will-yellowstone-erupt?qt-news_science_products=0#qt-news_science_products

https://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-myth/what-if/what-if-yellowstone-supervolcano-erupted.htm

1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:

Pssstt--Don't trust google as much as the respected scientific sites it leads you to....Too many people rely on what they see on Social Media instead of what the experts in the scientific community are trying to convey. ;) 

Define respected scientists.  Isn't Fauci a respected scientist?  I've seen many respected scientists be thrown to the wolves because they don't follow the narrative.  I don't think there's anyone on this forum that is on the extreme of global warming, meaning that nobody has gone off grid to live so they can "save the planet", nor do I think anyone is on here that wants to scorch the earth and eliminate all life.  The reality, when all the dust settles, and you're sitting face to face with most people with reasonable intellect, it's not a matter of being 180 degrees apart, and in most cases, can come down to ego or insecurity or power that defines your final position.  

This, was not any attack on you, just my thought for the day.  At the end of the day, we should all be able to admit that we really don't know the answers, and let common sense and logic prevail.  

If you continue to argue with stupid people over things that you don't have the absolute answers to, well then, you may have to have someone else, evaluate your intellect.  

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 3:37 PM, DizRotus said:

Lytton, that town in south-central British Columbia, set a new all-time across Canada high temperature record, for the third day in a row.  Yesterday’s temp was 49C, or 122F.  This is beyond extreme for us.  The police reported that 75 people in southern BC died suddenly yesterday, for heat-related reasons.  Most of them lived alone and were elderly or had respiratory problems of some sort.  The other common factor was that their rooms were at 40C/104F or higher when the police arrived.

As of today Lytton is gone.  90% burnt to a crisp.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pete H said:

This, was not any attack on you, just my thought for the day.  At the end of the day, we should all be able to admit that we really don't know the answers, and let common sense and logic prevail.  

Well stated. This part of Tennessee is called the Central Basin as it is lower than surrounding land and only cut by two rivers as an exit for water. It was also the last part of the ocean which once covered TN to dry up. Always getting warmer or colder and reliable satellite data has only been collected for a few decades. The see saw of warming, no cooling by the scientific community that gets press coverage over the last 40 years proves they have no idea what REALLY is going on. Continents move, rise and fall. Sun has radiant ebbs and flows some they "think" long term which effects climate. At this point in time I regard climate scientists often quoted as conjecture purveyors. The science of weather as studied by University of Alabama and NASA in Huntsville, AL does not read like what you see in the main stream press releases.

• Like 1

Weather is not climatology.  Of course we don't know everything, nor can we predict the future, but it has been measured that average global temperatures are increasing, and ice at the poles is melting.  Beyond that?    We will have to deal with it.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MyOwn said:

The good news is that an eruption of this scale isn't likely in any of our lifetimes. Yellowstone last erupted about 640,000 years ago, and the U.S. Geological Survey says the probability that it will blow its top again is about 0.00014 percent each year [source: USGS].

https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/yellowstone-overdue-eruption-when-will-yellowstone-erupt?qt-news_science_products=0#qt-news_science_products

https://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-myth/what-if/what-if-yellowstone-supervolcano-erupted.htm

Yes it may be a small percentage but in the small chance they are off could ruin your day, hope I never see it, or the unknown asteroid we can't see. But I'm not scared.....considering I'm old already.  

4 minutes ago, dtel said:

Yes it may be a small percentage but in the small chance they are off could ruin your day, hope I never see it, or the unknown asteroid we can't see. But I'm not scared.....considering I'm old already.  

The only thing that is certain is uncertainty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, geezin' said:

I used to ice skate every winter on the local ponds and lakes. Have not been able to do that but a few years in decades. Who needs respected scientists? Just open your fookin' eyes!

But even in Arkansas this past winter they had records never recorded before. -9 in Conway, - 11 in Ozark. What happens in our time is a short blip in the big timeline. Just because it's different than what were used to does not mean the sky is falling, or is it, we will only have the answers as it plays out which could not even be in our lifetimes ?

I only say this because even the records of trends over the last 20 year's is not much time in the big picture.

2 minutes ago, dtel said:

It would most definitely ruin most folks day,

I hope I didn't come across as trivializing this matter because that is /was not my intent

• Haha 1

I viewed links above. I read news articles BC town that was devistated-horrible.

Good for me to have different opinions/views and force myself to consider as my passion and adrenaline often outweigh my intelligence.

Watched the following video in past; more online to view.

Not stating he's right or wrong.

Economics of climate change innovation | Bjørn Lomborg - Bing video

Warren Oates was an underated, gifted actor and a fine American

Just now, MyOwn said:

You gotta admit, we humans wanting an easier living  and going after the almighty dollar have made things a lot worse on our planet.

oddly , enough ,  it was the Peace and Love Generation  who promised to protect the birds and the bees , and the Planet  -

3 minutes ago, 001 said:

oddly , enough ,  it was the Peace and Love Generation  who promised to protect the birds and the bees , and the Planet  -

Yeah, and guess what....we are still trying and fighting to protect the birds and the bees and the planet.  Yes, us awful boomers.