Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

3 hours ago, Islander said:

That’s just what I’ve seen.  It’s not always 100% accurate, but on average, I’ve seen shit things happen to shit people often enough that it happens more than the 50% of the time that you’d attribute to chance.  Maybe you exist in a bubble of randomness, where shit happens randomly.  If I go so far as to invoke quantum theory, I could say that life is based on probabilities, so not everyone would experience what I (and many others) experience.

Since we each shape our own realities (I’m a strong believer in the power that our words have to influence our perceptions, and maybe more), your noticeably strong will has the power to make your reality match your beliefs, at the probability level.  A strong will can make things happen, or not happen.  Sorry I don’t have hard evidence, but for an example, other that Augusto Pinochet, who lived to an old age, in spite of being an evil-doing dictator, can you think of any dictators who have lived an average lifespan, rather than dying young, for whatever reason?

Then there was Hitler.  There were so many plots to kill him, but somehow none of them succeeded.  He’d arrive ten minutes late, after the bomb in the room had gone off, or in another instance, the bomb in the briefcase had most of its energy absorbed and deflected by the heavy wooden conference table, so Hitler wound up with splinters in his legs and temporary hearing loss.  It seemed like he was destined to succeed in many of his plans, no matter what.  His luck seemed to go well beyond randomness.

If none of this convinces you, well, maybe that’s the reality you want, because something other than randomness would be a bit disturbing to you.  Do you disregard things that seem to violate your worldview?  Do your beliefs influence your perceptions?  It’s true for most of us. Loosen your grip a bit, and see what you notice.

This is heading in the direction of speculation, or maybe it’s already there, so I’ll stop now.

I love me some anecdotes.   Keep 'em coming.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/13/2021 at 5:43 PM, Islander said:

Somebody left Schiit at your doorstep?  It's not in a burning bag, is it?  In any case, don't step in it!

Apologies if you've already heard this kind of thing a hundred times or more.

when I was a teen, we used to soak a tennis ball in gasoline, light it and then throw it around. It was fun until once, it rolled into my garage and lodged itself under the gas lawn mower.

Thank God I got to it before a fire ensued ... not that it would have surprised my parents; but they would have been mad. 

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

when I was a teen, we used to soak a tennis ball in gasoline, light it and then throw it around. It was fun until once, it rolled into my garage and lodged itself under the gas lawn mover.

Thank God I got to it before a fire ensued ... not that it would have surprised my parents; but they would have been mad. 

I’m just glad there was no Internet back then, and everybody wasn’t carrying a camera phone either.  Our ill-considered deeds would have lived in infamy forever.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, richieb said:

Whose keeping score? Santa Claus of course. He knows if you’ve been naughty or nice, good or bad, lucky or not. Hope you enjoy your lump of coal this Christmas - 

You can't fool me there ain't no sanity clause:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

when I was a teen, we used to soak a tennis ball in gasoline, light it and then throw it around. It was fun

lol

the problem with the net is the "one-ups-manship"

we used to have some fun games, too...like throwing frozen newspapers at each other. Ever been hit with a brick? You learn to not get hit ... fast.

did you get relocated, Steve?

----------------------------------------------------

still waiting for the wife to come home. Windows of opportunity on Arivaca Rd are getting smaller with rain happening almost daily. Yesterday, the road was closed. We lost electricity. We lost water and internet. Not all at the same time...

Garden is growing like it's been raining. Seems like things are growing inches per day... especially the weeds. May need to resort to mechanized methods of control..  Not that I don't have several weedeaters... electric and gas. Will go after them with the hula hoe first.Cutting them off at ground level just results in short weeds... not elimination.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, grasshopper said:

did you get relocated, Steve?

next spring. thank God I didn't buy a place in this horrible part of the Earth. in a rare moment of wisdom, I decided to rent first to ensure I liked the area.  been to two parts of this state and couldn't wait to get out of both areas.  this area just ain't for my liking.  but, I signed a lease and will pay a penalty if I break it, so I'll keep a few grand in my pocket and suffer till spring -- then the plan is to NEVER return here.

never threw a frozen newspaper; but we used to turn on the strobe light and play catch with five gallon sparkletts water bottles (very challenging and you get hit in the face a lot). or my personal favorite, light something on fire and see who could hold it the longest before running to the other room and tossing it in the fireplace.  cheap entertainment -- we didn't need no stinkin social media or video games to enjoy ourselves. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Shiva said:

it says under his Barber Avatar,  He's in the Twilight Zone.  I've heard things can be a bit rough there. 😀

Not for Steve--I think he's the Mayor there but thought he lived in California in this Reality...Dunno, but am curious where "the most horrible place on earth" is. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

Where are you at? 

Hey Zen -- hope you are well. 

currently residing in Portland. I obviously haven't been to everyplace on Earth; but I'm prepping for my 20th move and Portland has been, hands down - by far, the least enjoyable environment that I've ever lived in.  I really don't understand what the locals (that like it here) see in this place.  I suspect many were raised here; but I've always said that "home" is not where I grew up -- that was my parent's home ... I grew up, moved away, and blazed my own trail in life ... and I still have trouble when asked where "home" is.  My mind tells me Los Angeles because I lived there so long and love the place; but when I visit the Oakland/San Francisco area, my heart says that is home because that is where I was born. I guess many have a fond attachment to the place of their birth ... and then some are just plain happy in life so wherever they are is great. I keep moving and find that everywhere I go ... there I am and with all my baggage.

Looking forward to my return to California next spring ... I'll be around some loved ones and some that need some help, so that will be nice to be able to lend a hand and hopefully make their lives a bit better. I have given up on ever enjoying personal happiness anymore; but I can take some joy in helping others -- so that's what I want to do. (but Portland is beyond hope ... ha ha).

Be cool my friend. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

Hey Zen -- hope you are well. 

currently residing in Portland...

Looking forward to my return to California next spring ... I'll be around some loved ones and some that need some help, so that will be nice to be able to lend a hand and hopefully make their lives a bit better. I have given up on ever enjoying personal happiness anymore; but I can take some joy in helping others...

Be cool my friend. 

Given up on personal happiness, WTF? I really am sorry to hear that but I for one am glad to see you post! I miss all of those conversations where you told me I was misguided, but you did it in such a nice manner and I loved the anecdotes you shared.  🙈 Stay strong, keep your sense of humor, and those you are helping are fortunate and will help build good karma, my friend.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yea @BigStewMan Fingers crossed that you too can get out of that personal twilight zone you're in. Remarked in another thread with that song by Golden Earring that I feel the same way about here and it's only been since the first of the month! We're both experienced with cr^p like this and we'll make it, find something to laugh about and make the time pass easier on you.

Better yet cook something and post the damage and we could all get a good laugh:wink:.

Good Luck!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:

Given up on personal happiness, WTF?

You'd understand that if I told you more; but, some things I don't discuss in depth here on the forum. Don't get me wrong, I count my MANY blessings all the time; but sometimes the negative screams pretty darned loud and it's a constant internal battle that is frankly, quite tiresome often.

1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:

I miss all of those conversations where you told me I was misguided, but you did it in such a nice manner

Of all the misguided people that I know, you are one of the nicest.  😀 Actually, I don't mind disagreeing with you because, unlike many others, you generally don't resort to profanity and insults. I just spent some time with people that are so very nice and helpful; but so into their politics that many conversations had to die because I didn't want to get into it when I saw firsthand how deep they were into it and weren't holding back the insults of those that believe differently.   I always appreciated a person that is willing to take the time to express themselves without using profanity or insults. So, there are plenty of reason to hate me; but hopefully me being a jerk isn't one of them!  At least I try not to be one and thanks for noticing that. 

@Tarheel got your PM brother man .... My brother is doing alright. No return of the cancer; but learned that some things, that he was told would return, he's now being told will NEVER return because of what was required in his surgery (like severing some nerves in his stomach). Having no sphincter between his stomach and esophagus causes SEVERE reflux and he never knows when it is going to hit.  He can't ever lie flat again ... nothing less than 35 degree angle.  But, as the doctor said "at least you don't have cancer anymore."  The doctor finally told him that all that stuff the other doctors were promising would come "in time" simply won't. So, adjusting to his new normal is frustrating for him. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Better yet cook something and post the damage and we could all get a good laugh:wink:

well, I did have to toss out three slabs of nicely cooked flat iron steak (that I surprising cooked without  a visit from the fire department). Had to toss it because I was reheating leftovers using the microwave and the slabs of meat were in a sandwich baggie that apparently two minutes in the microwave is too much for a baggie -- it started to melt. 

My biggest problem now is buying stuff and not using it then it goes bad and I toss it out. Just tossed a bunch of deli meat ... stuff that I paid like $12 a pound for.  My eyes are bigger than my stomach when I'm shopping; plus I think I'm motivated at the store and I buy all this food and get home and don't feel like preparing it so it eventually goes bad. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, BigStewMan said:

My biggest problem now is buying stuff and not using it then it goes bad and I toss it out. Just tossed a bunch of deli meat ... stuff that I paid like $12 a pound for. 

Some things can be frozen, and will last a very long time. No, they won't be as good as fresh, but it beats throwing them out, or not noticing that they're bad and getting food poisoning.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Edgar said:

Some things can be frozen, and will last a very long time. No, they won't be as good as fresh, but it beats throwing them out, or not noticing that they're bad and getting food poisoning.

True; but that goes for people that have room in their freezers.  My brother lives with me and most of the stuff that he buys gets put in the freezer and it's a battle for space after that. 

Funny, thing ... he's always tell me to "just put it in the freezer" and I don't want to rearrange the freezer every time I want to put something in there. I know ... poor me.  Plus, I can be lazy and moving stuff in the freezer just to get it out surely isn't the hardest thing to do. 

• Like 1

I cooked some fresh yellow (for y'all that think butternut is squash) squash with onion and frozen green beans the other day and twisted open a can of corned beef. I know it's not like the good stuff with cabbage and or potatos but I've always liked it with mustard. Had a date of 2023 on it and it was gray and didn't smell right. So I was a vegetarian for a couple days, had pork chops baked in Lipton onion soup tonight... yum. My plastic wrap melts in the wave and this one is weak compared to mine. Got to find that Reynolds plastic wrap if the tin foil people still make it.

• Like 4