Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MicroMara said:

Some real actual pics ....

Hate to see that, water does so much damage. For hurricanes here people think of the wind, the wind is bad but the worst damage is from water and tidal surge. Water is very powerfull, it can remove almost anything.

Hope the dam holds up. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:

@MicroMara It is sad to see so much flooding and devastation and glad you are safe. We spoke before about my favorite areas along the Rhine and it's CRAZY to see Koln flooded and I imagine our old neighborhood in Bad Godesberg is flooded as well. When I was a kid I would walk my dog along the river...

In the 1980s, a new political movement had formed in Germany. It was the "green" as a political environmental party that already in the early 80s warned against the human influence of environmental destruction and its consequences. The "Greens" were called "politically incompetent" by the German political establishment. A party that wants to make the people believe that humans does not have nature under control? That was the time you´ve been in Bad Goedesberg. It is only in the last 2 decades that awareness of environmental policy has been firmly anchored in society, thanks to the Green Party.

Ridiculous ! Now 40 years later , all the predictions of the entire political worldwide green movement have been confirmed , or does anyone still have doubts about climate change ? Canada with heat records and USA just experienced something similar, only with firestorms....

• Like 4

Gentlemen:

I present for your perusal an article from a French periodical regarding protests painted on the parkways which are paths for the peloton during the Tour de France. In honor of the alliterative title of this thread, I have re-titled the piece “Peloton, Protests, Politics and Pen-isis. It reminds me of some tasks I was given when I was in the Army.

https://www.rouleur.cc/blogs/the-rouleur-journal/the-eraser-men?fbclid=IwAR2vwqUN-5V5IN5MfMPtcicxw8GHIJ8OVRfhHPfHdptcQf9iYJYC5OJp6Z8

Note: While I support the enjoyment of our Bill of Rights, I do not condone defacing private or public structures. Graffiti can be a powerful tool for social awareness and positive change, but ask before ya paint someone’s fence.

I agree but it kinda goes with the territory when you host any event.  The "eraser men" are figured into the overall concept and budget of the race I'm sure. 

Sure people can be influenced by what they see but that's where society is today.  Is it wrong?  Defacing peoples property isn't right but it still happens.  Freedom of Speech it's not or is it?  Bottom line is it's everywhere.

The economic impact from the race has to be unreal.  I think the media outlets try to keep it out of the coverage but if something happens it's right there for people to see.  Some will and some won't show it I'm sure.  It's still out there though, which is sad.

Gotta go, the caboose just went thru the crossing and the gates are going up.   😂 

It is why the Weather service calls things a 100, 500 or 1000 year floods because these things happen. The size of the alluvial fans out west in the desert let you know that no place is without floods.

Back in 2010 Nashville had over 30" of rain in about a day and a half. Every road to Nashville was impassable at the same time. The velocity of the water then out in the country was pretty amazing and huge gravel bars, I mean like 10acres or so in size, appeared in farmers fields.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Had the keyboard thing a week or three ago.

The internet has been out since yesterday here, so I went back to the cassettes when I got "home" yesterday. Back in business this evening, apparently someone tried to steal some bandwidth and burned some of the wiring in the process. Web access has been off & on here since I got here. Maybe it's good to go now.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dave A said:

Back in 2010 Nashville had over 30" of rain in about a day and a half.

13,57 inches of rain in Nashville in 36 hours -

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2015/04/30/nashville-flood-20-things-to-know/26653901

the National Weather Service estimated anywhere from 2  to + 19 inches in 48 hours -- 

Historic May Rainfall 2010

• Like 1