Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Dave A said:

It is why the Weather service calls things a 100, 500 or 1000 year floods because these things happen. The size of the alluvial fans out west in the desert let you know that no place is without floods.

Back in 2010 Nashville had over 30" of rain in about a day and a half. Every road to Nashville was impassable at the same time. The velocity of the water then out in the country was pretty amazing and huge gravel bars, I mean like 10acres or so in size, appeared in farmers fields.

True, it's been going on forever, heat and then ice down halfway into the US hundreds of feet thick, it's acutially what formed the great lakes, then receding with a swing in the other direction. How long has this been repeated ?

It is only panic if you look at the last very short term view and call it a problem without looking at history. We have only been keeping record's for a very short term compared to history because we have only been around a very short term in the big picture.

They know there were serious changes in long term history, it's why they find sea shell fossles in mountains in the deserts and pre human activity under hundreds of feet of what is still ice.

It's facts, not oponions, if the sky is falling it is not the first time. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

1 - 4 key in center row gone.excuse spelling. I'm trying to use spell check to help. Got to misspell it right to get the proper word back.

I livet in bottom.  You  kin get wet there. I'm on top ov little hill now.

I have been having keyboard problems, one was commas, it sticks at times and sometimes just adds them in between other letter's as it wants to. The other thinbg is he spell checker, it works when it wants, I added a different one and it also works when it wants, right now neither is working. Between my spelling and pronunciation and spell check not giving suggestions or just making a change, I am pretty screwed, I just figure everyone here knows I grew up in Louisiana, so there's that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, dtel said:

Montreal-Quebec Canada ,  got 4 inches + 100mm of rain-hail  in slightly over 1 hour on July 14th 1987 , and  later flooding was in 2011-2015-2017-2019  -

FRENCH VIDEO -

• Like 2

Whether you want to call it “climate change” or follow the earth’s evolution over eons it does seem the SW drought is for real and reaching a breaking point sooner rather than later. Phoenix, LV, LA and all points between will be in a world of hurt without steady rains and heavy snows this winter. I’m not a conspiracy theorist but the continuing wildfires, levels of Lake Mead water and pics of Hoover dam seem all too real. I don’t complain about too much rain anymore - 

• Like 4

@RandyH I can tell you one thing NWS has some bad records.

Looked up HUGO in Charlotte in `89 and it said we got 3. something inches of rain. YEA.... RIGHT

I recall the totals being between two feet and 30 inches for that about eight hours it took from TS hitting until TS leaving with the leading eyewall of the hurricane hitting me at twenty until 8am that morning. When I get moved I'll find and check my newspapers from the following week and see if I can find the correct amount.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, richieb said:

Whether you want to call it “climate change” or follow the earth’s evolution over eons it does seem the SW drought is for real and reaching a breaking point sooner rather than later. Phoenix, LV, LA and all points between will be in a world of hurt without steady rains and heavy snows this winter. I’m not a conspiracy theorist but the continuing wildfires, levels of Lake Mead water and pics of Hoover dam seem all too real. I don’t complain about too much rain anymore - 

Out there the Forestry Service kept up with things very well until the martians told them they couldn't do their jobs. Other places where the forests are nurtured and maintained from learned science do not have wildfires like that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, richieb said:

They really need some rain, I don't know if it's a management problem or poor planing but it seems they are either in a bad drought and going to run out of water or it's to the point of breaking dams or levees and flooding large areas.

I remember a forum member who lived out there and had friends who were farmer's and there was always a fight for water, much of it went to Las Vegas because of $. Who knows but It looks like they need to figure a way to desalinate sea water unless it to expensive, or something to feed the citys to take a load off of the reservoirs ? And right up the coast is one of the rainest citys on the west coast, you can't change weather, better figure out how to manage what you have.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

Out there the Forestry Service kept up with things very well until the martians told them they couldn't do their jobs. Other places where the forests are nurtured and maintained from learned science do not have wildfires like that. 

True, the forestry service warned years ago when they were stopped from doing controled burns to manage the underbrush what was going to happen, and they were right. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, RandyH said:

13,57 inches of rain in Nashville in 36 hours -

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2015/04/30/nashville-flood-20-things-to-know/26653901

the National Weather Service estimated anywhere from 2  to + 19 inches in 48 hours -- 

Historic May Rainfall 2010

3 hours ago, dtel said:

True, it's been going on forever, heat and then ice down halfway into the US hundreds of feet thick, it's acutially what formed the great lakes, then receding with a swing in the other direction. How long has this been repeated ?

It is only panic if you look at the last very short term view and call it a problem without looking at history. We have only been keeping record's for a very short term compared to history because we have only been around a very short term in the big picture.

They know there were serious changes in long term history, it's why they find sea shell fossles in mountains in the deserts and pre human activity under hundreds of feet of what is still ice.

1 hour ago, richieb said:

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

Looked up HUGO in Charlotte in `89 and it said we got 3. something inches of rain. YEA.... RIGHT

I recall the totals being between two feet and 30 inches for that about eight hours it took from TS hitting until TS leaving with the leading eyewall of the hurricane hitting me at twenty until 8am that morning. When I get moved I'll find and check my newspapers from the following week and see if I can find the correct amount.

it's nothing new children... the earth has been evolving for billions of years... we might be lucky to witness it..

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, dirtmudd said:

and if I remembered correctly ...

it usually starts with famine and world wide disease... maybe it's already started..

Yep I did not pay attention to the deadheads in bell bottoms with the signs when I was a kid.

Now I think they were a little ahead of things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

Yep I did not pay attention to the deadheads in bell bottoms with the signs when I was a kid.

Now I think they were a little ahead of things.

I didn't pay attention but I carry on some of their daily traditions, with one big exception, I shower everyday. :lol:

Around 1968-69 I went to California with my parents, my dad seemed to be interested in the hippie thing so we went to Haight and Ashbury to check them out. Later I figured he was just probably interested  in the hippie women mostly ? It was kind of wild to see since not much of it was going on where we lived. On that trip I tried Chinese food for the first time in Chinatown, my dad thought my mom was trying to kill him with that strange stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

in the NE we had the ice storm in 98 ,  we milked the cows by hand  for 1 week in the cold  , and  keeping the cattle and horses alive  without  power was not a joy ride  -

• Like 2