Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Wife made an appointment with her (female) physician to have a physical.  I'd probably not had a full physical since high school.

Go to the doc...  as a side comment, she had a strikingly attractive nurse assistant.

Doc does her stuff....  I'm thinking we're done.  She hands me a gown, tells me to disrobe and put it on.  Hmmmm.....  I'm getting a feeling that I'm not going to like where this is going.

Change clothes, Doc comes back in.....  strikingly attractive nurse comes in moments later.  I'm instructed to assume the position.

It's dawning on me that the Doc wants the (by the way, did I mention she was strikingly attractive?) nurse in there not so much to help but really, to be a 3rd person witness that the Doc didn't "violate" me.....ironically, AS she is preparing to violate me.

I never have quite figured out that logic....  

During the process I turned my head around and said something to the effect of "Do you have any wine and cheese??? When I take a gal out on a first date, I at least buy her dinner"

Both the doc and the strikingly attractive nurse lost their composure a bit.  I think I caught her a bit off guard with my comment.  They tried to look and remain professional but I had done my damage to their psyche.

Later, as I was in the process of (being diagnosed with) Crohns,  I had a male Dr.

I'm here to tell you that you really prefer a female, with or without a strikingly attractive nurse.  It's not about male/female, it's about their hands.

Figure it out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, dtel said:

This was over 40 years ago, I have no idea what it is called today ?

All we did was cut plates into whatever the blueprints called for and fit them into place. The fitting into place was the hard part, it's not easy to pull and bend a thick plate to the shape neeed. The rake on the front is the hardest with the most severe curves, your not allowed to heat anything up to bend it, it just has to be pulled intp shape with many big 12 ton come-alongs as they are called. I mostly worked on 180' supply boats (picture) and for a while we worked to build the New York, Statin island ferry's.

th.jpg

Staten-Island-Ferry-NYC_3.jpg

Ive ridden that boat. Yay, me!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, dtel said:

we worked to build the New York, Statin island ferry's.

that ferry was the biggest  in the world at the time  , amazing quality build  from the Shipyard in New Orleans  ,  tough ship ,  very reliable  in comparison to the ships  they build overseas nowadays -

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, RandyH said:

that ferry was the biggest  in the world at the time  , amazing quality build  from the Shipyard in New Orleans  ,  tough ship ,  very reliable  in comparison to the ships  they build overseas nowadays -

That was a really strange design, it had two wheelhouses and no back, when it pulled into either dock for people to get off the captain would just walk out to the other end and there was an exact wheelhouse on the other end. That made sense but the reall odd part was the stering, instead of propellers it had paddles mounted on about a 10' wide thick steel disc that would spin around. As it spun a computer (I guess) moved the paddles to propel it in the direction the captain moved the joystick.  The paddles would spin around and the disc would spin around the paddles only turned to put the wide side to push in the correct direction.

OK it's hard to explain.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, dtel said:

This was over 40 years ago, I have no idea what it is called today ?

All we did was cut plates into whatever the blueprints called for and fit them into place. The fitting into place was the hard part, it's not easy to pull and bend a thick plate to the shape neeed. The rake on the front is the hardest with the most severe curves, your not allowed to heat anything up to bend it, it just has to be pulled intp shape with many big 12 ton come-alongs as they are called. I mostly worked on 180' supply boats (picture) and for a while we worked to build the New York, Statin island ferry's.

th.jpg

Small world. Learned how to weld at N O Avondale Shipyards in the middle of the summer. Then went to Bollinger Shipyards in Lockport LaRose. Don't regret leaving either of them.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

OK it's hard to explain.

the Propulsion System  is called the The Voith Schneider Propeller (VSP)   which combines propulsion and steering in one unit   -You can view it in a video in this Article   -

https://voith.com/uk-en/drives-transmissions/voith-schneider-propeller-vsp.html

in October 2003 the propulsion control panel.   on  the Andrew J.Barberi failed ,  In this panel, electric solenoids  were used to shift hydraulic valves  ,a  bronze ring  inside a solenoid valve fractured , and the debris lodged in the solenoids preventing  the proper operation of the Propulsion system -- the NTSB required that all ships using this specific  propulsion system be retrofitted with propeller deviation Alarms   -

Ring_Fragment.PNG

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, RandyH said:

the Propulsion System  is called the The Voith Schneider Propeller (VSP)   which combines propulsion and steering in one unit   -You can view it in a video in this Article   -

That's it, stranges thing I had ever seen, almost. After I posted that I went looking to find pictures and could fine no info. It made me wonder if the two ferrys we buils were still the boat use now or is it newer boats, it was a long time ago. Thank you for finding that, I thought I was wrong but I do remember what I seen.

4 hours ago, JBCODD said:

Ive ridden that boat. Yay, me!

You did better than me, it was on land when I was on it and it was no fun. I quit my job right before it was launched. The boat was done and when we went to work every morning they would hand us a broom and tell us to look busy or disapear. :o I guess they needed to have a certain man hours and we were done, 12 houras  day is a long time to hide, you can only sleep so much to the point I could not sleep at night.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Small world. Learned how to weld at N O Avondale Shipyards in the middle of the summer. Then went to Bollinger Shipyards in Lockport LaRose. Don't regret leaving either of them.

Never worked at Avondale, it was the largest shipyard around, they did alot of military contracts,

I worked at Halter Marine in NO east then a small yard in Belle Chasse and ended up at Higgins ship Yard on the Industrial canal in NO east. he only way to get a raise was to move if not they wanted to give you a quarter an hour raise. 

Higgins yard was where they designed and built the PT boats and the landing craft boats used on D day. The landing craft was the one where the front dropped down when it hit land or shallow water and they would run out the front or drive things onto land.

When Ileft Halter they had just merged with Bell helicopters and were working on the hover boats. A large boat would drive up on land slow the engines/ fans and the boat would sit down on land. 

I don't regret leaving any of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

That was a really strange design, it had two wheelhouses and no back, when it pulled into either dock for people to get off the captain would just walk out to the other end and there was an exact wheelhouse on the other 

OK it's hard to explain.

A classic nautical design - The Don’t Know if it’s Coming or Going Ship. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Bad news follows good.  Cleveland is renaming from the Indians to the Guardians next year.  Dude!  You have the rock and roll hall of fame and you're not changing the name to the Rockers? (or hell, even the Rollers...)

How long before they go after the Chiefs? You know they are on the PC radar - 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Coytee said:

I think I said scantily clad women.....but hey, in a pinch....  

You allowed clad women to dance on your La Scalas?  Didn't you realize how dangerous buttons and zippers are?  Major scratch hazards!  Clothing should never be permitted while dancing on speakers, strictly from a safety standpoint.  Not even socks.  One slip, and you could have a gouge that wouldn't buff out.  A second's thoughtlessness could undo hours of careful craftsmanship done in Hope, Arkansas.  And oh, the tears...

I'm sure you must have seen the notices posted near custom cars with very expensive paint jobs at shows, warning that clad people were not allowed near the cars, for that same reason, scratch and gouge hazards.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, babadono said:

What about the Lions, Bears and Rams. I know those animals are deeply offended.

And why can't the dim-wits in charge of all of this realize the main thing. Besides that they take everything the opposite, most backwards ignorant unintelligent way that was never even possible ever before in the history of the universe!

Teams aren't named after something that you are demoralizing or do not like.

They are named for an admiration of the animal, group of people or whatever they admire their winning/domineering ability.

Be it an indominable nature, raw animal viciousness or whatever.

IE: Dan Morgan #55 or 44 in college

Not after something with beta tendencies!!

Where did their testosterone go!

I've concluded it's all a part of "Divide & Conquer".

Edited by JohnJ
  • Like 2