Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Or couldn't take a surge. They can lessen the life of anything electrical.

That's the truith, years ago we bought a new Kenmore stove, the first time the power blinked it stopped working. The repair man came out and said I know exactly what is wrong, he changed a part and it was fine. He said one of the boards were weak and just replaced it with the official replacement and it's been fine for 15 years, including many power interuptions. They had  so many of the original boards they just kept using them until they ran out in the factory built stoves and just replaced them as they broke. Seems like an expensive way to deal with it since it was warranty work?

• Like 3

May be an image of text that says 'GUARDIANS CLEVELAND'

This is going to create a problem for the Dolans (Indians owners). Apparently, the name Cleveland Guardians is already taken (roller derby) and this group has been around for about 4 years. Not only that, the logo is eerily similar to the one the Indians unveiled. I hope it forces them to pick a different name or scrap the issue.  :)

Or they just buy it from Roller Derby, Inc.  hahaha  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, dtel said:

That's the truith, years ago we bought a new Kenmore stove, the first time the power blinked it stopped working. The repair man came out and said I know exactly what is wrong, he changed a part and it was fine. He said one of the boards were weak and just replaced it with the official replacement and it's been fine for 15 years, including many power interuptions. They had  so many of the original boards they just kept using them until they ran out in the factory built stoves and just replaced them as they broke. Seems like an expensive way to deal with it since it was warranty work?

Boards are the problem.  What ever happened to analog switching?  There are a lot of old time ranges out there going strong.  Replace a switch, a temp probe, maybe an element.  Turn the damned knob, touch pads are designed to fail.  Dishwashers also used to last, now the circuit board screws the pooch within 3 years.  I would say don't get me started, but that's too late.

You don't need circuit boards to run stoves, dishwashers, or refrigerators.  Or washing machines or dryers.  It reminds me of McCoy on Star Trek---engineers, they just love to change things.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Or washing machines

Years ago we got a new front load washer and dryer when they first came out, Whirlpool duet. The washer started having problems after a couple years at the most, replaced it with the old time top load turn the knob type, it's still going like new. For some reason the front load dryer is still going fine. Replaced the referagtor about 6 months ago, it still worked  and even made ice but figured it was time being 21 years old and there is a waiting time on buying anything. Weeks without a refrigerator would be rough, it took like 6 weeks to get the new one.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

5 week wait on refrigerator last October for us. Wanted non-digital thermostat but that wasn’t option with style/amenities she desired. After friend had issues with new Whirlpool washing machine, he purchased a Speed Queen. Our next appliance purchase will be “bare-bones” commercial Maytag or Speed Queen washer/dryer without digital controls.

Cost reduction or designed obsolescence or both?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Subway said:

Is toaster digital or have circuit board(s) ?

Got a Smeg five years ago, after breaking it in had to turn it down low to get good toast... then they quit making real bread.

• Like 3

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

I see what you boys are doing......page 2999 and hoping to win the toaster!

Although my toaster sux it makes no difference to me, when i am not signed in it says 2999 when I sign in were on page 3005. 

It's like seeing into the future man. :wacko2: As Cheech would say 

J444_2_grande.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, dtel said:

Although my toaster sux it makes no difference to me, when i am not signed in it says 2999 when I sign in were on page 3005. 

It's like seeing into the future man. :wacko2: As Cheech would say 

J444_2_grande.jpg

thanks to Cheech and chong  ,  Laws have changed , these guys should be Senators by now

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, RandyH said:

thanks to Cheech and chong  ,  Laws have changed , these guys should be Senators by now

41 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

They're too smart to be in DC Randy!

No doubt. Our current group of incompetent fools make these two fools look like geniuses. Maybe a ****** capable of handling a couple pounds with a few dozen hoses attached is what this current group of ineffectual idiots needs. —

I take that back - that would be wasting prime vegetarian on USDA Grade Stupid human beings - 

• Like 1