Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

15 hours ago, grasshopper said:

"Armageddon"

No, not ready yet. :ph34r2:

How's everyone today, coffee time is almost up if you only drink it in the am. I was out at 9am.

Today's going to be a lot less of a headache I think, finished changing addys at SS and my drug plan. Wow I went off on that last foreigner. I started off telling her why I called. When she got my info up I gave her the new version. She asked repeatedly to supersell or supersize me and I said no. Then she asked me to repeat the pertinent info?  Not in volume or anger, I just asked her why didn't she listen when I gave her the info the first time? Could she go back and look for it there? Then I insincerely told her sorry if her company made her try to elicit the info in duplicate or triplicate but my sensitivity for stupid was low right then. Then she gave me a reason for the repetition. It seemed plausible with today's importance placed on verbage. But darn, why do they need to record that twice if that's what's happening?

Homerball.gif.ace75d7375df89d049ab23d19132378e.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I gave in and dug out an old electric weedeater. The back yard looks like a kid that cut their own hair.  ....but, you don't have to wade thru it. You can see what you don't want to step on...like the tarantula I near stepped on the other night.

----------------------------------

Tues evening I got an order for mango "salsa" from my wife's secretary.... to feed the poo bahs coming to the school Wed. Fortunately I had a few mangoes left and time enough to get the rest of what I needed from the store. I sent a qt. Got an empty bowl back. The secretary [a private chef IRL] made some fancy tostadas. She's taking off to Alaska tomorrow to cook for her friends....same folks she cooks for in HI.

------------------------------------

watching the Olympics

Did you see the Japanese lad doing his high bar routine? Missed the grab on one of his "release" moves and landed flat on his back.... Shook it off... got back on the bar and missed another release move, almost landing on his face. Shook that off and finished his routine. I found that moving ... he got guts...

• Like 4

Robert D WAS GREAT!!!  But I had to stop that vid. As kin&# as I ever got paled to that.

On our after the Q radio station with John Boy & Billy for a decade or two five days a week.

Robert D Raiford was the newscaster that did "the" infamous broadcast of the procession in Dallas when Kennedy was assassinated in `63.

He was the first known curmudgeon to me also.

* wiki..... says he did the funeral over the airwaves, I thought it was the actual event..

Edited by JohnJ
* correction
  • Like 3

• Moderators
19 hours ago, grasshopper said:

"Armageddon"

Speaking of butts :o but the good kind, started some pork butts, will not be done until tonight.

That story was funny even though it's sick, how desperate are some people, pretty bad off apparently.

image.jpeg

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, dtel said:
19 hours ago, grasshopper said:

Speaking of butts :o but the good kind, started some pork butts, will not be done until tonight.

In time for supper? Or a late night snack?:)

Looks dang good either way.

• Like 5

When I watch the Olympics, I just turn on there TV and see what's on at that moment.  I don't look for specific sports.  Doing that, I get to see sports I might not usually watch.  That's how I was watching Women's Trampoline.  I always thought it was pretty tame, in spite of the heights they reach, like around the third floor of a house.  When you see the low-level view, you can see that the the tramp stretches down to within a foot of the arena's floor, something I'd never considered before.

So things were going fine, until one woman had one leg bend instead of staying near-straight when she came down, and she took a tumble, landing at one point on her head and one shoulder.  Yikes!  That ;looked like a strained neck for sure, but luckily nothing got broken.  Okay, first trampoline crash I've seen.  Next competitor was fine, then the next one got very close to the edge when she came down from what looked like 25-30 feet and she bounced off the tramp, landing on one of the pads surrounding the tramp.  She got up, but it was a scary few seconds.  Both of the women were eliminated when they fell.  Apparently, if you crash, there's no trying to continue.  That routine is over, with no points scored. 

After seeing those falls/crashes, it became a bit scary to watch the next competitors.  I pretty much was on the edge of my seat.  I watched for another 5 or 10 minutes, then I switched to something else.  it was just too nerve-wracking for me.  I've watched Grand Prix motorcycle racers come off at 160-240 km/hr (100-150 mph) and figured a broken collarbone would be the worst case, and more likely the result would just be a scuffed-up suit.  I've had crashes myself, including one where I crashed in a hairpin turn at Nelson Ledges, a track in northern Ohio.  The guy behind me fell, too, and next thing I knew, a Ducati 350 was on my head and shoulders, pinning me helplessly, with my helmet solidly on the pavement on the right side.

I was still travelling at probably 90-100 km/hr (55-60 mph), and the pavement was whizzing past my right cheek, a couple of inches from my right eye.  That was okay.  I had confidence in my helmet and my racing suit, and I didn't seem to be injured yet.  The scary part would be when I reached the edge of the track and drastically slowed down, since the grass and gravel near the track is nowhere near as slippery as the pavement.  When I slowed, I would roll (not on purpose), and the bike would flip off me.  So far, so good.  In a few seconds, I'd either be slightly injured, or I could get a footpeg though a kidney, or something similar.  That would be very bad.

After sliding for more than 100 feet, the edge of the track came up, I rolled, flipping the bike off me, and I lay on my back for a minute or so, mentally taking stock of everything I was feeling.  It didn't feel too bad, so I rolled over and got up.  My lower back hurt, but I've had worse.  This was during a 5-hour endurance race, so although I felt like I was done for the day, the bike was still good to go, so I handed it over to the other rider and his friend, a Pro-level motocrosser.  The bike finished the race without me, but I didn't feel too bad.  Neither of them crashed my bike, so that was good, too.

All that to say that in spite of my experience with crashes, after seeing two trampoline crashes I was creeped out at how control could be lost in a split-second, with possible serious injuries.  I guess that nearest instant-loss-of-control, followed-instantly-with-injuries type of sport could be the two in the Winter Olympics, luge, or that crazy skeleton.  You know, the one that's like luge, except you go head-first.  I guess luge just wasn't dangerous enough.  Anyway, running is more relaxing to watch.  I like thrills, but I've had enough of spills.

In other Olympic news, the women's soccer final, gold medal, match is being rescheduled, at the strong request from Sweden, backed by Canada, the two teams playing..  It was set to start at 11 am, at the start of the hottest part of the day.  The mid-day Tokyo temps have been in the high 30s, with the Humidex in the high 40s, just what you want when you have to run around a big field for more than 90 minutes.  Now the match will start at 9 pm Tokyo time, which is 8 am Eastern Time Friday morning.  As well, it will be relocated to Yokohama, an industrial city just south of Tokyo.

Which Olympic events have you been watching?

• Like 3

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, babadono said:

In time for supper? Or a late night snack?:)

Looks dang good either way.

It will probably be late but I need to get them done. We usually do a few at a time and put them in freezer bags to use later, it freezes really well. 

Being I am not an early riser it is pretty late when they are done, and I cheat, the last hour or so I am tired of checking on the smoker and I finish them in the oven, but probably 11 hours on the smoker. 

The first time I tried it with the mustard I thought I might have ruined them, but it melts off and holds the seasoning on really well. Most of the seasoning is under the mustard. leaves a nice bark, my favorite part.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, dtel said:

The first time I tried it with the mustard I thought I might have ruined them, but it melts off and holds the seasoning on really well. Most of the seasoning is under the mustard. leaves a nice bark, my favorite part.

I was going to ask how you got the mustard that thick, now I know. Looks like the start of a party tomorrow night!

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

I was going to ask how you got the mustard that thick, now I know. Looks like the start a party tomorrow night!

I spoon it out a big container and spread it with the other hand, as much as will stick and not slide off. 

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

I've used the mustard technique with brisket, but not with pork.  I can't see a reason why it wouldn't also be good.

I never tried on brisket before but don't cook much brisket after the last one which was close to $70.

Somewhere around 5 hours

image.jpeg

• Like 5