Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

7 hours ago, Tarheel said:

A little change of subjects and maybe a tiny bit of whining.

I'm listening to less and less music yet I have two complete systems and some pieces of gear weren't cheap.  If I had more energy I would box it all up and sell it for pennies on the dollar.....but there is that energy thing.

On top of that I find myself playing the same media choices because it makes my gear sound better.  I think I like gear or the promise of gear better than I like music.  Gear head? 

Ever experience that?

Will the next generation systems be able to multitask?  Like mix a drink or make toast or maybe give you a hair cut while playing in a godda davita?

Hope so..........

Till then I'll play Cristofori's Dream by David Lanz for the foreseeable future.  At least it sound good.

I was just thinking about that, and I’ve been thinking about it for a few months.  However, my thinking is going the other way.  Now, I listen to the music, not to how the system sounds.  I don’t select the music that often, maybe a few times a week.  The rest of the time, I listen to a handful of stations on Net Radio.  I’ve found some stations that have better taste than I have, so I get to listen to new and interesting music that way.

The main thing is that now I have confidence that when I roll up the volume to listening level (I leave it on all the time now, just rolling down the volume very low when I go to bed or go out.  I was leaving the amps on all the time, as per recommendation from a Yamaha rep, but he said that with receivers, the issue is falling brightness of the display if it’s on all the time.  The simple workaround for that is to switch to Pure Direct, which shuts down everything not needed for 2-channel sound production, in an effort to eliminate any kind of interference or noise from unused circuits.  This includes all video circuits, all DSP or other processing circuits, and the display.  It goes dark, and stays dark until you adjust the volume or change the input, when it brightens momentarily to let you see what’s happening, then goes dark again.), the music will sound great.

Sure, I still have to get around to tweaking the processor a bit to suit the new drivers, and the subs need to be dialled in to the room, but even so, the music sounds great.  That’s what matters, right?  I no longer hear that little voice trying to speak up over the music, saying “Sure that sounds okay, but if you do this, that or the other (or worse, this, that, and the other), it will sound so much better.”

Now, I just hear a voice sometimes that says, “That’s a great song.  Turn it up!”

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Yes.  I have been using it for vinyl for years.  Different brands call it different things.

In theory, Pure Direct should sound better, but that mode disables the subwoofers, so I rarely use it for listening to music, instead mostly just for when I won’t be listening for at least a few hours.  Instead, I normally use Straight mode, which is also strictly 2-channel with no processing of the signal.  Yes, the display is on, and some unneeded circuits might be on, but it sounds better to me than PD.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Tarheel said:

A little change of subjects and maybe a tiny bit of whining.

I'm listening to less and less music yet I have two complete systems and some pieces of gear weren't cheap.  If I had more energy I would box it all up and sell it for pennies on the dollar.....but there is that energy thing.

On top of that I find myself playing the same media choices because it makes my gear sound better.  I think I like gear or the promise of gear better than I like music.  Gear head? 

Ever experience that?

Will the next generation systems be able to multitask?  Like mix a drink or make toast or maybe give you a hair cut while playing in a godda davita?

Hope so..........

Till then I'll play Cristofori's Dream by David Lanz for the foreseeable future.  At least it sound good.

This is an interesting issue, I know this oversaturation as well, have phases where I'm not interested in all this. I attribute this to my psychological condition. If I don't feel so good I can't stand music, if I feel good I can't stop listening to music. This rarely has anything to do with the gear that we men love so much. And the next generations ? I don't want to change places with them, they don't know R2R, TT, tape decks, CDP etc.. They experience it all only on the digital level. I see this with my children, MP3 freaks, who are conditioned away from the conscious listening experience by modern technologies. The future of music will only be virtual, there are already virtual singers who have become stars.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Whatever Sunfire calls it, it takes the signal straight from the cartridge and amplifies it out to the speakers.  Subwoofer is not in my system since the forte IIs handle bass besides lowest octave organ music just fine.  I don't listen to lowest octave organ music.

Yes, the Fortés have a reputation for great bass.  I can’t say the same thing about the La Scalas.  The LS2s have more and better bass than the originals, but it still starts to roll off at 100 Hz, and it’s down noticeably by 60, so it’s more than just very deep organ music that’s affected when my subs are dormant.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

This is an interesting issue, I know this oversaturation as well, have phases where I'm not interested in all this. I attribute this to my psychological condition. If I don't feel so good I can't stand music, if I feel good I can't stop listening to music. This rarely has anything to do with the gear that we men love so much. And the next generations ? I don't want to change places with them, they don't know R2R, TT, tape decks, CDP etc.. They experience it all only on the digital level. I see this with my children, MP3 freaks, who are conditioned away from the conscious listening experience by modern technologies. The future of music will only be virtual, there are already virtual singers who have become stars.

That's a pretty long clip.  This clip is just one song, and it features Megurine Luka, who is patterned after an adult woman, not a young teenager like Hatsune Miku.  Also, it's rare for a pop song to refer to the inclination of Earth's axis.

Having a projection as a front person has lots of advantages over a live singer.  The projection never shows up late or drunk, you can resize her to suit the venue, like life size for a club, or a bit gigantic for an arena, for example., and she doesn't need her own hotel room.  She can stay in the van, or, for more security, she can stay on the floor of the musicians' room.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

You aren't the first to misinterpret the post, but what he said was next generation systems, not the next generation people.

I did the same thing, I missed the system part.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Islander said:

Yes, the Fortés have a reputation for great bass.  I can’t say the same thing about the La Scalas.  The LS2s have more and better bass than the originals, but it still starts to roll off at 100 Hz, and it’s down noticeably by 60, so it’s more than just very deep organ music that’s affected when my subs are dormant.

Bass reproduction begins in the so-called "upper bass range" between 150 and 100 Hz. Here, many speakers have deliberate frequency response boosts. In this way, the mostly passive designs conceal the fact that they do not provide true low bass reproduction at high levels. The range between 100 and 60 Hz is the "kick bass" that hammers so nicely in the pit of the stomach, but it often does too much of a good thing and negatively overlays other frequencies.

• Like 2

A lot of the music I listened to in the 60s and 70s ( you all know them) no longer sounds good on a decent system.  Funny cause it use to sound good on cheap, crappy systems in those days.

I realize that my visual sensor is dominant so I prefer to watch movies rather than to listen to music. 

I find my self wondering how much music the guys that post charts and graphs and  discuss the minutest speaker modifications s are listening to or are they trying to squeeze out the last iota of quality only to move on to the next quest.  Not that I care what they do with their time.....just curious.

Anyway.....my gear is pretty so I'll just be happy for that! 

• Like 5