Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

12 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

No new receiver, yet....

I may be getting another laptop ... for $10. My wife calls me frugal -- I say "cheap". I'll have to take a drive to Yuma for it. A reconditioned unit from a friend. I don't care about old/new... I don't use my "computer" for much more than communications device, photo processing and streaming music.

It will a nice time, to visit friends. Make big smoke, tell bigger stories  and have some laughs. That will happen mid Oct, when they get back from the PNW...

Still thinking I'll be able to get a receiver local. From a shop in Tucson. The stereo hospital referred old clients to a "new" guy... I assume he has some older stuff left behind...

the-end-is-near-homer-simpsons.gif.9ce8a0dd9ab84bcdfc44a1cfd66da0fc.gif

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, grasshopper said:

No new receiver, yet....

I may be getting another laptop ... for $10. My wife calls me frugal -- I say "cheap". I'll have to take a drive to Yuma for it. A reconditioned unit from a friend. I don't care about old/new... I don't use my "computer" for much more than communications device, photo processing and streaming music.

It will a nice time, to visit friends. Make big smoke, tell bigger stories  and have some laughs. That will happen mid Oct, when they get back from the PNW...

Still thinking I'll be able to get a receiver local. From a shop in Tucson. The stereo hospital referred old clients to a "new" guy... I assume he has some older stuff left behind...

Our facility has a contract with the city to staff their recycling drop off sites. One person is a regular staff and the rest are our clients we support (developmental disabilities mostly). We drop off our old computer parts, dead and broken gear. One my coworkers, who came here from Russia, always looks to see what anyone else has dropped off. He has brought back a lot of great stuff, often just out of warranty, so a company is getting rid of it, etc. Got a mint condition Intel server, minus the drives. A few Macbooks... some Dell laptops. He brought back three Dell Workstations, dual cpu sockets. I got one and he took another. We ordered four Xeons (12 core) and two more CPU fan/heatsinks... cost us about $100. My son had memory which he sent me.

Short story is I now have a computer with 12 cores/24 threads, and 64 gig of ram.You can't even hear it running., and it will handle way more than I can throw at it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mornin all

I guess you could call our weather "Indian Summer"? Back to pre-monsoon condition. Cool AMs and warm afternoons ... no rain - even remotely. Humidity is down. We're waiting for a/nother dead hurricane to come our way. Seems as the monsoon is over.

I've been clearing weeds/wildflowers. They're drying up and gone to seed. Not to mention the thought of a fuelwood delivery crossing my mind. Having a clear space is nice. Being able to open the gate is nice, too. Stuff had gotten 3ft tall around it.

Been out puttering around already. Watering the garden.

Made a pot of coffee using Mexican beans. Been playing around with strength of the finished product. With my coffee maker, strength of the coffee isn't so much of how much beans you use as how fine they are ground.

• Like 3

Indian summer around here should be late Sept. early Oct. we always get 90s and the humidity back for a while.

Past week we've been like out there, low 60s and mid 80s just about perfect. 10am and I've made my second 20 ounces of coffee already. Stocking up is not too good of an idea, beans roasted in July and the taste has altered a little. Must be snobbish bad beans just aren't tolerable anymore.

Curmudgeon already? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

Indian summer around here should be late Sept. early Oct. we always get 90s and the humidity back for a while.

Past week we've been like out there, low 60s and mid 80s just about perfect. 10am and I've made my second 20 ounces of coffee already. Stocking up is not too good of an idea, beans roasted in July and the taste has altered a little. Must be snobbish bad beans just aren't tolerable anymore.

Curmudgeon already? 

covid coffee bottom of the barrel beans most likely beans from the reserve supply !

had the same here

Could not tolerate my normal brew.. just picked up a bag this week everything back to normal

• Like 4

13 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

@Dave1291so brother man ... hope you are fully recovered from your pacemaker procedure. 

So, I notice there is a forum member dave1290 ... is that your younger brother?

@Dave1291 @Dave1290  is a powerhouse ,  the top member of the klipsch forum , but Dave is also very low key - a sleeper on the klipsch forum -

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, dirtmudd said:

covid coffee bottom of the barrel beans most likely beans from the reserve supply !

had the same here

Could not tolerate my normal brew.. just picked up a bag this week everything back to normal

Naaa, heard there was a coffee shortage coming weeks ago. And I'm such an addict that I fell for it and had five + pounds in the cabinet. Down to three now! Put some sugar and milk in it although I usually only have that with after dinner dessert.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Shiva said:

Looked up at my Atomic clock and took a pic.   9:11 on 9-11.  

unnamed.jpg

Not 91` and 91%r/h, too?

4 hours ago, MicroMara said:

@grasshopper  it´s time for your lunch ...or even dinner if you like ...

lasagna-garfield.gif.ecf2c684b9d7bd7a0e98409b81e67668.gif

Are you hungry for lasagna . I've made you 2 portions ready, the big is with meat and the smaller is a vegan lasagna. I really hope that they are both right for you.

lasagne.thumb.jpg.4405219c36142453456d54bd551ea5bb.jpg

The "48 Hours of LaSagna" ended last night.

I saved a serving for the wife... Can't say I didn't enjoy binging on it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Shiva said:

In coffee related news, bought this coffee yesterday at Costco and tried this morning.  I have found this to be the best coffee I've had in a long time.  👍 2 1/2 pounds $12 bucks.

unnamed-1.jpg

Some of their coffee comes from Starbucks.

• Like 4