Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

On 9/11/2021 at 12:27 PM, Shiva said:

In coffee related news, bought this coffee yesterday at Costco and tried this morning.  I have found this to be the best coffee I've had in a long time.  👍 2 1/2 pounds $12 bucks.

our tiny Pocket dog Chihuahua , loves  the Kirkland brand ,  he even growls if we touch it ,  if the Coffee's the same ,  I would be careful  :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Was hazy here, yesterday. Not so bad today, but still with us. We're in the 40` day/night temp spread. 60`AM   Mid/high 90's in the afternoon Things are drying out. The cows are back in town. Another reason to mow the lush summer growth back. [The cows don't do a bad job clearing weeds ... it's just that they are rather indiscriminate and trample what they don't eat.]

Wife goes to Flagstaff this week to attends the award/s ceremony. I think she said the winner would be announced Fri evening.. 

I'll have a quiet few days.

• Like 4

• Moderators
On 9/11/2021 at 1:31 PM, Dave1291 said:

Choccy chip pannycakes & eggs are long gone! 

I feel better, thought I was the only oddball who cooked them with chips for the grandkids. Added peanut once to try to make them taste like the peanut butter cups, it did not work at all, I even added about half a jar of peanut butter and they had very little peanut butter flavor so I tell them to just add it on top if they want it. 

They tend to like the crushed banana's or the blueberry the most. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

I'll have a quiet few days.

:emotion-21:

29 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Down to the wire now huh?

Ya know we all wish her good luck!

Yes wish her good luck, just being in the running is a good thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators

Well they think they got the alligator.

The St. Tammany Parish Sheriff’s Office told WVUE Monday that officials caught a 12-foot alligator, weighing just over 500 pounds, in the same area the man was last seen.

Human remains were found in the gator’s stomach. The coroner will determine if they belong to Satterlee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

7 hours ago, dtel said:

Well they think they got the alligator.

The St. Tammany Parish Sheriff’s Office told WVUE Monday that officials caught a 12-foot alligator, weighing just over 500 pounds, in the same area the man was last seen.

Human remains were found in the gator’s stomach. The coroner will determine if they belong to Satterlee.

God willing , the gator was captured  -that doesn't bring back your Friend , but it will allow for a Burial and for some closure  -

• Like 1

• Moderators

Leaving to go back to Hope Wed but got caught up on my project today. It is free standing, not connected to the building and anchored with 10 1/2" anchors. 

Finished the frame and it is primed and waiting to be painted, then 5 sheets of plywood on top and rearange the lights. Then I can finally get my shop back to normal, but this really needed to be done for storage to keep the floor un-cluttered with stuff, plus give me a wood rack on the shorter sides.

Yes it's heavy enough to hold anything that may go up there and solid, no shaking at all in any direction.

shop (2).jpeg

shop (1).jpeg

• Like 7

6 hours ago, dtel said:

Yes it's heavy enough to hold anything that may go up there and solid, no shaking at all in any direction.

D*#n Straight!

You could put two more levels on it if you had the space, they wouldn't either!

Didn't you say that you'd acquired that steel previously, then since the shed went up you got to utilize it?

Like the metal coating, you don't do half-*ssed well at all.:wink: 

The finish looks like that Rustoleum alkyd fish-oil based rusty metal primer that I've always used on the wrought iron at my old place. I had to go to three hardware stores last year to find that stuff.

PXL-20210914-110050625.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

That thing would hold an elephant from the way it looks.

Probably, a very short elephant, but he could be fat. 

5 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Didn't you say that you'd acquired that steel previously, then since the shed went up you got to utilize it?

Yes I got the metal probably 10-15 years ago to build a sawmill and changed my mind. The metal is from my wifes stepfather in N Louisiana. He was in the business of scraping commercial buildings, mostly in wood manufacturing plants. He would bid on taking them down and then scrap the materials. He had acres of metal he was holding or didn't have time to bring to sell. He told me take what I wanted the price was as cheap as dirt at the time so I loaded up a trailer.

Edit; I have been working on this everyday for a couple weeks, mostly cleaning off where there was other things welded on the beams then priming. This was no fun but considering the price I could not complain, I could not have afforded to buy this metal, and wood is also high now and not nearly as strong. Plus I got alot of exercise, it kicked my butt at times. 

5 hours ago, JohnJ said:

The finish looks like that Rustoleum alkyd fish-oil based rusty metal primer that I've always used on the wrought iron at my old place. I had to go to three hardware stores last year to find that stuff.

Yes very close, it's slightly different but what they had at the local HD. This stuff is amazing, it sticks very well and is hard to scratch off, even welding on the other side barely messed up the paint, just a little. Good stuff for $32 a gallon, will use the top coat that matches this, probably gray ?

71yhZxUXWUL.__AC_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

• Like 3

Pro version huh? Wonder is it a urethane type... I like that med-dark Battleship Gray, like on the cinderblocks under a cabin. You've probably got enough leftover gray from one of the big machines to get started.

I can vouch for the one I showed above being professional grade too. I'd warn not to use a good Purdy, I used a throw away brush. It doesn't clean off well without a hot thinner. Ya know one with one or more of the Ketone Sisters in it - Methyl or Ethyl.  Two times since 1976 - the Bicentennial summer... that I've painted that wrought iron at the front and back porch at my mom's now gutted house. Three times total and the last was 2021!

Could be that I put three coats of Benny Moore Alkyd on top each time! Bleach or pressure wash, take a scraper to it, then a ss wire brush then the four day prime and paint process. Off white paint does not cover that red very well.

Remember before the black or the dark blue or red lacquer, cars were primed with that red color and all the others had the medium gray? 

• Like 2

• Moderators

I have no idea if there is any differences in the paints, but at that price it is good. Most paint is not cheap anymore, I was shocked last time I needed house paint, even interior. 

Yes I have about a quart left of the grey and will probably get another gallon since it would be cheaper than more quarts since I don't know how much I will need.

YES it was a throw away brush, everyday I would put it in a zip lock bag to keep it from drying, kind of worked. 

All the metal was cleaned with a wire wheel on a grinder so they were pretty clean, eye and ear protection was needed, can't afford to lose any more hearing.

Found some safety goggle's online cheap, 10 for $4.50, at that price when they get a little messed up just throw it away. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086G1J72M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plus I needed a bunch of cutting wheels and grinding disc, but it was still cheaper than buying Oxygen and Propane for the torch.   

I do remember a car primer that looked the same.

• Like 4