Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Me neither Chuck, but I'll keep trying every now and then with the occasional quick picks I do.

Autumn-like here it was 50 outside a couple hours ago and not much more warm now. I'd love to open up but that 92% humidity stopped me quick. Dehumidifier filled up twice yesterday since I turned it on again.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Well darn!  Didn't win Power Ball or Mega Millions.

Me neither, but I did not donate any money to the cause either.

Anyway you might be a dangerous person with that much money ?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, dtel said:

Me neither, but I did donate any money to the cause either.

Anyway you might be a dangerous person with that much money ?  

I sure would be with my now not so immediate reflexes.

First on my all time bucket list?

Hemi-Orange 1970 426 Superbird:

2-Plymouth-Road-Runner-Superbird-Hemi-Or

Or maybe a Vitamin C beep beep? Remember that Roadrunner horn? These were RRs to start with, and they had that horn!

8.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JohnJ said:

I sure would be with my now not so immediate reflexes.

First on my all time bucket list?

Hemi-Orange 1970 426 Superbird:

2-Plymouth-Road-Runner-Superbird-Hemi-Or

Or maybe a Vitamin C beep beep? Remember that Roadrunner horn? These were RRs to start with, and they had that horn!

8.jpg

image.png.7cd9a94f7dc484bfa783c2ce076c3324.png

"I asked Warner Brothers to give me a tape of the beep sound. They sent me a tape of a human voice attempting to sound like a car horn. And the tape just went Beep, beep (PAUSE) Beep, beep (PAUSE) Beep, beep." The whole tape was like that! I went to Purchasing and I asked who on the approved source list sells us horns. (We were really out of time. This whole Road Runner car was being done, not overnight, but in less than two months.) They gave me the three horn vendors that we were permitted to buy horns from, so I called the chief engineer of each of these three companies and told them the story. I said, ''I'm going to send you a tape in today's mail. I want you to listen to it at once. Call me back as soon as possible if you have anything in your roster of horns that is anything like this sound: "Beep, beep! Very shortly, they all called back. Two of them said, "Not a prayer!" The third one, the Sparton Horn Company and Richie Vanstroodle-who turned out to be a heck of a guy-really wanted to get into the swing of this thing. He said, "Hey, we've got a horn that sounds pretty close. We're building it for a military vehicle. It's built to government specifications. It works under water. And it's really expensive because it meets all these requirements: Forty-five dollars a piece."
I said, "No way! I tell you what, I want you to get your best cost estimator to review that horn. Have him work all night at this. Call me back tomorrow and tell me the cost after you take off all the waterproofing and everything else but keeping it a legal horn, meeting government regulations. Tell me what you can sell it for."
They called back and it turned out to be like a 47-cent penalty over what we were already spending for horns, so we had a horn. Sure, we said we'd buy that little bit of "plus;" at least I say "a little bit." People in the industry would drive each other up the wall just to save a dime on a car. But a dime times a couple hundred thousand cars is a lot of money! In that case, we would have done a lot to save a small amount of money on each car. Cars are implicitly the product of a lot of cost reduction: coldly looking for pennies, trying to get the money out so we can be a competitive company and sell a car for a competitive price. But we had the horn and it almost fit into the car. The horn was held by one bolt. There's a little tab that goes into one hole and there's a second hole for the screw that mounts the horn. That hole in the horn bracket was about 5/32 of an inch long. So we had to have them move that hole that little distance and moving that hole that little distance was the biggest tooling cost ($243 out of a total of less than $500) associated with the production of the Road Runner car!
Anyway, we had the horn. It turned out that they had a test that had to be conducted on every horn before it was authorized to be released: an engineering cycling test. The horn was placed in a sound-proof box and the switch was flipped-beep, beep, beep, beep-twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. At that rate there wouldn't be enough time to get the test completed in order to support buying it for the start of production of the car. Remember, we were doing this car at the very last minute, so there were a number of things that came up which almost scrubbed the car."

Jack Smith and the Plymouth Road Runner | Allpar Forums

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Thank You @Subway I could not give you a thanks and a laugh at the same time so I made it separate!

It was almost a meep meep just like the cartoon. My neighbor was a Mopar salesman back then until the gas crisis. Several times he would have a GTX, Charger, RR or Duster. Twice he had one of those Superbirds before NASCAR banned them from the races. Geeze all those great cars and I recall the Coyote Duster air cleaner (that's a blast from the past)

We (all six of us) did manage to get Mike's dad to take us all for a ride in that second Superbird he got to drive for a while!

My first car was a... you guessed it, a big block `73 Charger SE. Yep a smog motor, but not real bad we could correct those issues then and set it up to breathe right!

Great article will finish it tonight!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
15 hours ago, geezin' said:

Yeah I'm waiting to try that. Hope it works out for him.

I hope so, even if prices rise another grower is a good thing. My name is dtel and I have a coffee problem, that' how it's done I hear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

LaPalma

Do y'all remember when one of the big dramatic doomsday ideas was the east coast of North America underwater all the way to the mountains? It was contemplated that if a huge chunk of the volcano fell into the sea the tsunami would be incredible when it reached here.

Not worried, because if I was... wtf could I do about it in my situation?

Tuck head between... :o

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Got up at 6:15 and had coffee and a bowl of cheese grits.  Washed the bubble and refreshed the ceramic coating (2 stage process)..  Use Modesta products.  All done by 8:30.

LF off to play tennis.  Swanky sleeping.  Nice early fall temps.

Power Ball at 523 million.  I have 4 tickets so I should win🤔

• Like 3
  • Haha 1