Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

9 hours ago, RandyH said:

LE MANS  racing winner -   kawasaki  900 Z1 bikes of the 70's , the story is in the link -

they took a few ZI bikes , lightened the wheels and added a monoshock suspension, racing engines  --brakes- headers -forks -oil coolers , they were the 1st American endurance racing  team running  4 stroke Japanese 4 cylinder bikes , to reach  speeds of +  165 mph -  

https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/aboutrb.htm

Flat Track Racing was done primarly with Harleys on a modified frame. I used to live in Southern Illinois and there was a track not far from where I lived. Dangerous sport.

• Like 2

I had an XR750 in the mid-late '90s and raced flat track for a long time. Never really made any money but learned how to go fast w/o hard braking. Learning to control a motorcycle while maintaining speed is truly an art form when done well.

I've raced many disciplines. Pretty much everything 'cept hillclimb and ice. Still have my open class motocrossers. Don't bounce as well as I used to and the COST has me sidelined. I miss it dearly.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RickD said:

My MT-10 has "Ram Air" on both sides of the tank. Both fake. As is the gas tank. Tank is more like a gas can 

buried under metal and plastic. Bike is a ***** to work on. My BMW is the opposite, easy to maintain

Built around the time my Honda was there was a Yamaha Phazer that had functional ram air. Thing was so efficient if your wrist moved when you sneezed the front tire could come off the road. Instant torque!

1 hour ago, RandyH said:

an XR750 ---you could very well be the ONLY  Forum member to have owned and raced  such a legendary Bike @geezin' we are all truly  honored on the CCCC 

Not that big a deal. They were cheap then. Kinda wish I had kept the damn thing honestly. And there are hundreds (maybe thousands?) of guys who raced them.

Just got back from a ride. Wonderful early fall weather. Leaves are starting to change at 3K+ ft altitude.

spacer.png

• Like 3

• Moderators
23 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

I don't know if caffeine has a taste of its own; but I don't notice a taste difference between regular and decaf.

I switched to decaf a while back, didn't notice any difference in taste or affect, except that forst one in the am. Daughter would drink some when she stopped in the evening to pick up her 2 year old to go home, she drank 2-3 cups one evening and asked what's wrong it's not helping ? I had forgot we had switched, so we switched back to caffeine, but told the wife to get decaf from now on.

• Like 3

• Moderators
22 hours ago, RandyH said:

nothing worse than Truvia or Stevia , it messes up the body, you're better off using natural cane sugar squeezed from the plant   or brown sugar , honey , molasses -   

Can't have sugar on my diet, also could find very little bad things about Truvia unless in very high amounts. Honey, Brown sugar or Molasses gives coffee a strange tast to me. I only use Truvia in coffee, nothing else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Can't have sugar on my diet, 

I gotcha , you're trying to lose weight , but you like coffee , cakes and donuts and ice cream , and pies and milkshakes all made with Truvia  :D  

2 hours ago, dtel said:

she drank 2-3 cups one evening and asked what's wrong it's not helping ?

can't relate to that ... caffeine never got me amped up. I used to get home from bowling between 11 and midnight, I'd stop at Carl's Jr. and get a burger, fries, and a coke ... then go right to bed (after watching Quincy of course). 

• Like 1

• Moderators
51 minutes ago, RandyH said:

I gotcha , you're trying to lose weight , but you like coffee , cakes and donuts and ice cream , and pies and milkshakes all made with Truvia  :D  

Yes trying, it's a little slow but going in the right direction, 22 pounds since a little after July 4, good enough.

No pies, ice cream, milkshakes or any other deserts 99.9% of the time, or any carbs.

6'3" and 245 now, just want to feel better.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, BigStewMan said:

can't relate to that ... caffeine never got me amped up. I used to get home from bowling between 11 and midnight, I'd stop at Carl's Jr. and get a burger, fries, and a coke ... then go right to bed (after watching Quincy of course). 

I can eat anything at any time and never have a problem even if it is spicy. 

Well the other side of that is Quincy can put anyone to sleep. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Built around the time my Honda was there was a Yamaha Phazer that had functional ram air. Thing was so efficient if your wrist moved when you sneezed the front tire could come off the road. Instant torque!

That is how my Yamaha MT-10 is. Easy to power wheelie in third gear. Throttle is very twitchy. Fixin to correct that by having the ECU flashed. Then a new suspension. It's a 2020 and the factory suspension is crap. Almost became one of those crosses in Geezin's photo. Almost had my helmet scrapin the pavement I was leaning so far over to get control of the bike in a tight switchback on a road I've ridden my BMW many times at a faster pace.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RickD said:

That is how my Yamaha MT-10 is. Easy to power wheelie in third gear. Throttle is very twitchy. Fixin to correct that by having the ECU flashed. Then a new suspension. It's a 2020 and the factory suspension is crap. Almost became one of those crosses in Geezin's photo. Almost had my helmet scrapin the pavement I was leaning so far over to get control of the bike in a tight switchback on a road I've ridden my BMW many times at a faster pace.

I've got this for back road shenanigans. Although you'd be surprised at how well the Harley handles. Tuono chassis is magic. Bike has over 150K miles on it. One of the best I've ever owned and that's not a short list.

spacer.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dtel said:

22 pounds since a little after July 4, good enough

245 now, just want to feel better.

Fantastic , 22 lbs less is great , jump on a bike or stationary bike and work on the circulation  ,  slow pace  15 minutes , just to stretch the muscles being you're tall  , what is does is  eliminate some of the lactic acid in the body   -

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, geezin' said:

I've got this for back road shenanigans. Although you'd be surprised at how well the Harley handles. Tuono chassis is magic. Bike has over 150K miles on it. One of the best I've ever owned and that's not a short list.

spacer.png

I wanted a Tuono bad but the dealership closed down. The nearest dealer now is in Savannah. Nearly 5 hours from me. I considered a BMW S1000R but I found a deal on the Yamaha and read alot of good things about it.

I bought a '74 R75/6 back in 1982 and sold it in 2015 with almost 200,000 miles on it. I put a set of pistons in it and just about every other part on the bike, but it was reliable. I have a 2008 BMW R1200R, I picked it up in 2015 as a project bike. It had 15,000 miles on it and was not running well, was using oil and had a bad abs unit. I changed the oil every 1000 miles until the oil came out clear. Eventually it stopped smoking. Now it's a very reliable bike, with 35,000 miles on it.

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, RandyH said:

Fantastic , 22 lbs less is great , jump on a bike or stationary bike and work on the circulation  ,  slow pace  15 minutes , just to stretch the muscles being you're tall  , what is does is  eliminate some of the lactic acid in the body   -

I don't stop, sitting here now with my shirt wet from sweating, letting some paint dry and I will be back at it again since I don't have to cook tonight, or I would quit early. 

It seems if I drink enough water i do not have much of a problem with lactic acid, but when sweating and not enough water it builds up i guess. 

I stay busy, I am not good at being lazy, the longest I sit still is for football once a week.

• Like 3

Your doing better than me today @dtel cut the yards today 90% humidity but low 80s made it not too bad for around here. Stopped to get inside for some ice water and sat down for twenty. Went back out there and my mower would not start. Got gas has oil too, so I put it up for now, will look at the plug tomorrow already dusted the sand out of the air filter.. do that before and after since I've been here. Ate my last quesadilla for a while listened to a couple cds now I just left St Alfonzo's and getting into Father Oblivion! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

It seems if I drink enough water i do not have much of a problem with lactic acid, but when sweating and not enough water it builds up i guess.

magnesium rich foods or supplements reduce  lactic acid ,the Asians consume magnesium rich foods in their diet in  a  much larger ratio than proteins -in North America , it's the opposite 

• Like 1